Author Topic: buying food and home deliveries,  (Read 1435 times)

Diasi

Re: buying food and home deliveries,
« Reply #15 on: Jul 19, 2019, 04:45:46 PM »
Did a test here on a Lidl made french stick / baguette..put it in a bowl of water...flipping thing turned into a Michelin Man..content was pure rubbish!

As a child I did the weekly shopping errand for my parents & my grandparents.

It took about four trips round the village shops each Saturday morning.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Ode Iron

« Reply #16 on: Jul 19, 2019, 04:49:09 PM »
Diasi..a good point...me Mam brought a pushchair...as it was one shop for cheese.. another for bread etc...
Masks are muzzles

Diasi

« Reply #17 on: Jul 19, 2019, 04:59:23 PM »
The fruit & veg man came round with a horse & covered cart.

Sheesh, can you imagine a modern snowflake, with a degree in environmental health, doing an inspection as the horse lifts it's tail & has a dump.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #18 on: Jul 19, 2019, 05:27:18 PM »
Did a test here on a Lidl made french stick / baguette..put it in a bowl of water...flipping thing turned into a Michelin Man..content was pure rubbish!
Why would you do that? Can't imagine many things worse that bread soaked in water
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Scrumpy

« Reply #19 on: Jul 19, 2019, 06:33:10 PM »
My nearest town is five mins away.. I have a local Co- op in the next road..
I have done food shopping with Waitrose, usually in bad weather..
I’m not too keen because I like to check dates and choose my own   fruit and veg..
I think it is a wonderful idea.. Not ever is able to get to a store.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Ode Iron

« Reply #20 on: Jul 19, 2019, 10:14:02 PM »
Michael..i think the test was conducted after complaints that folk felt really bloated after eating a roll. Last year- a lettuce was tested and was found to have 17 various chemicals on it...very worrying...i have knocked cheap wholemeal bread on the head.. as apparently weed killer is put on the wheat ( husk?)... to make it hard and crunchy!
As i have lost so many of my friends and family to cancer...it is becoming a concern.
Masks are muzzles

Michael Rolls

« Reply #21 on: Jul 19, 2019, 10:53:22 PM »
Good Lord! I went for over a year without eating bread when getting my blood glucose and weight down and didn't really miss it. I have reneged since Veronica died, but perhaps I ought to give up on it again.
Mike

Ode Iron

« Reply #22 on: Jul 19, 2019, 10:58:23 PM »
My thoughts are with you Michael...i am puzzled that food ministers allow this.
My late father had a lot to do with Monsanto Evidex...his concerns about contamination in the food chain...were mentioned from the altar at his funeral!!
Masks are muzzles

Michael Rolls

« Reply #23 on: Jul 20, 2019, 05:10:58 AM »

Thank you
Mike

Raven

« Reply #24 on: Jul 20, 2019, 08:47:46 AM »
I eat too much bread and I know it, I'd love to give it up but I don't think I could. I'm a toast n cheese muncher I'm afraid.  :-[

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #25 on: Jul 20, 2019, 01:31:35 PM »

Your diet would actually kill me if I went on it for any period of time Raven.  We often become addicted, so I have heard, to the very things we can't tolerate and I loved cheese at one time.

I don't mind the restrictions these days and I found, while we were on holiday in Northumberland, I had an amazing choice of foods I could eat when we were out.  Back home and I am stuck with something like chicken and chips if there is nothing else when eating out.   

The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

little bob

« Reply #26 on: Jul 20, 2019, 06:41:28 PM »

Funny how many of us started on grocery/butchers bikes--I started at the local Co-oP on a butchers bike a really enjoyable experience,-I can remember the Co-oP delivering orders well into the 60s before the Supermarkets came along.
Re/Southport I go every couple of weeks and it seems to change every time we go --ok if you like charity shops and Buskers  ;D