Author Topic: could rabbit make a come back,  (Read 221 times)

Alfred

could rabbit make a come back,
« on: Jul 11, 2019, 08:20:45 AM »
for many years when in the past myxomatosis,  virtually stopped people buying rabbit a popular meat supplement during w.w.2 and even afterwards it was popular until the year that  myxomatosis had head lines spread accross many national papers ,

but times have changed and since that time the rabbit population has increased, so could or will rabbit make a come back , and be popular as it was in the past,

could you see for example rabbit burgers. sausages, even pie, an old favourite, and do you have any views when it comes to eating rabbit,
i haven't eaten it for many years and then it was for me a nice flavour similar to chicken,

Michael Rolls

Re: could rabbit make a come back,
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2019, 08:26:57 AM »
I've never eaten rabbit as far as I can remember - but back in the early 70s my first wife and I had cats and at the time Chinese rabbit was very cheap so we fed it to them. On one occasion Susan and I were getting some out of the Iceland cold storage and there was a young couple standing looking at the rabbit and debating whether they could afford it -for themselves. Made me feel about 6 inches tall!
Mike  :-[
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Raven

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2019, 09:15:33 AM »
Well if it does I certainly won't be having any.  :o

Bobcat

« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2019, 10:04:05 AM »
I had it regularly as a child, my mum used to make a beautiful stew - gorgeous !!!

StephenM123

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2019, 10:20:51 AM »
My local Waitrose used to stock rabbit until a few years ago. I don't think they sold a lot and it disappeared when they stopped stocking low turnover items for more of the same. Makes an excellent stew and the cats loved the leftovers. 🐱

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2019, 10:45:29 AM »

My brother used to shoot and often went to a friends farm - pre Myxomatosis - so there was frequently the odd rabbit or pigeons.  Dad skinned and dressed them but I didn't like the meat.  I'm not sure if it was the association with the bunny or the flavour.  My father shot deer and wild boar in Germany just after the war - always for the pot as meat was scarce for the German population.  Early in my marriage we used to be given pheasant too but (from a local shoot) but I don't like that if it's hung too long.  Luckily my other half had been brought up on a farm and had the skills to deal with them.  Silly to mind really as I can bone chicken and fish for cooking and learned to deal with meat as meat later on even if it still had a face.  If we have a no deal Brexit these are skills may be highly sought after.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.