Author Topic: what was the best times of our lives.  (Read 724 times)

Alfred

what was the best times of our lives.
« on: Jul 14, 2019, 07:36:06 AM »
For many P.F members there was a period in our youth when im sure many of us thought that that particular time was the best to have lived  through. in the fifties we had a number of singers, entertainers, even going out to the pictures on a Saturday night was for many a big event .

piano's and piano accordion's were played in pubs with the local singer singing popular songs then,
during that period came fashion trends, for example mary quant,. the mini skirt and be hives, rock and roll, jiving, doing the twist and other dances of that time ,

and of course i could go on , so now its your turn, what do you remember as the best time of your life and when was it , 50s/60s even later, and will you tell us about what you remembered then,.

mick607

Re: what was the best times of our lives.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2019, 08:01:35 AM »
The swinging 60s for me.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2019, 08:04:31 AM »
Mid-late 80s - divorcing Susan, marrying Veronica. Everything else pales into insignificance
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Raven

« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2019, 09:48:43 AM »
July 1966 when I turned 16 and was able to leave home and get the hell away from my mother. ;D I already had a job and I'd saved enough to be able to put down a months rent as a deposit on a tiny flat. I moved in on my birthday and never looked back. ;D I had 6 blissful years of being on my own until I made the mistake of getting married to a guy I though was wonderful, he started to show his true colours very quickly after that.  :'(

Scrumpy

« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2019, 10:34:03 AM »

The sixties... and seventies... London and Australia.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

sueboo

« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2019, 03:41:16 PM »
I have lived, on the whole a wonderful life, yes there have been up's and downs but I've coped and got on with life.  Honestly can't say one year was better than another.  But today is great so much to do and see.  Back in UK for summer then off on our travels again.   
I'm not lazy I'm just always relaxed
Love the life you live. 
Live the life you love.

Traveller

« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2019, 04:32:51 PM »
The 70's were great.  Getting married, the birth of our children and getting a great job in Hampshire (and Germany).  However, now is even better - living the retired life,  travel, holidays, theatre , living in a quiet village and most of all, married to  the same great girl for almost 46 years.
You'll have had your tea.

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2019, 08:23:55 AM »
Now.  I've had lots of 'best times' but just being alive and enjoying retirement each day is great.  I like Diasi's strapline 'Make every day count. Every day is precious.'

I try to live in the moment, it may be the last one.  ;)
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Johned

« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2019, 07:48:00 PM »
The fabulous fifties for me.  The war, we won, behind us and looking forward to a roseate future or so we were assured by those who were supposed to know!  It didn't quite turn out like that as we all know.  National Service in the army, which I dreaded, behind me, I had three years of doing exactly as I liked before getting married and still are thus to the same lady 61 years later.  Made a lot of mistakes along the way through my short sightedness and temerity but too late now to do ought about it!   

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2019, 01:05:33 PM »
Tomorrow, as long as we're still here.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

zoony

« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2019, 11:51:16 PM »
For me, it's easy. I've always found life enjoyable, instructive and occasionally surprising but the best of my years began in 1970-ish when, first surprise, my first post after qualifying took me to Bermuda and a lovely pink cottage on a hillside overlooking a pink coral sand beach. The job was difficult but I enjoyed the island very much and was willing to work to enjoy it which I did for a year and a half until enter surprise number two. I used to hang out and occasionally play/sing in a pub in Hamilton owned and run by a couple of Englishmen. They offered me a gig, five nights a week at good pay. I bit their hands off and became a musician. Surprise three loomed and landed when I received a formal notice stating breach of (government) contract in leaving my job and had 2 weeks to get off the island. Coincidentally, at this time I'd met a cruise director for Princess cruises who was talking of playing aboard their ships. Surprise four landed me in San Pedro boarding a ship bound for Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco with my Yamaha 12 string in a green canvas case, no stage clothes and scared...Surprise five was I survived it and had a ball for the next seven years. Definitely the best years of my life and I have no guilt about it being as hedonistic as it was at times.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.