Author Topic: Getting around the TV license.  (Read 1384 times)

xetog

Getting around the TV license.
« on: Jul 15, 2019, 11:42:00 AM »

Anyone know what the law is on streaming TV?  I know for instance that without a TTV license we are not allowed to stream BBC TV programmes from the internet, but does this apply to all channels? The way we watch TV is changing and apart from the news we don't actually watch much TV in 'real time'. 

I ask because my on-line searches are quite confusing and we are moving soon, so will I really need a TV aerial at all as I will be using a fast internet service and I can get almost any TV channel I want that way?  It is suggested that because there is a slight delay in streamed  TV (only about 30 sec) than technically it is not being watched 'real time', but others refute this.  Our current house has a TV aerial point in every room except bathrooms and the Kitchen.  I have put a small TV in the kitchen which uses only streaming and apart from the slightly cumbersome differences between the different stations catch-up options, it has proven easy and reliable to use.  Add to that the fact that most series are now put on as box sets to access at any time there is little need to watch TV to a schedule at all and all my TV's have wifi.  Admittedly there are still some channels that don't have catch up and generally films are excluded from catch up services but it a simple way to watch TV without breaching the licensing law unless you want to watch BBC and considering the rubbish and repeats they put out, I don't think it's worth nearly £150a year and expensive and unreliable TV recorders.

In a nutshell, providing I don't watch BBC or use an aerial/dish to access programmes and only watch on line, will I be breaking the law?

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Raven

Re: Getting around the TV license.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2019, 02:35:33 PM »
Probably... :-*

mick607

« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2019, 05:12:16 PM »
From the horses mouth, so to speak.I've not had a TV license for more than fifteen years. I watch DVDs & UKTV Play, there are others you can also watch without a license.https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ104

Found out recently that if you live in an OAP flat complex thing where all the residents are over a certain age there is such a thing as a ARC license which costs £7.50 a year ! How many people know that one ?
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/care-home-residents-aud4

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2019, 10:37:36 PM »
Anyone know what the law is on streaming TV?  I know for instance that without a TTV license we are not allowed to stream BBC TV programmes from the internet, but does this apply to all channels? The way we watch TV is changing and apart from the news we don't actually watch much TV in 'real time'. 
I ask because my on-line searches are quite confusing and we are moving soon, so will I really need a TV aerial at all as I will be using a fast internet service and I can get almost any TV channel I want that way?  It is suggested that because there is a slight delay in streamed  TV (only about 30 sec) than technically it is not being watched 'real time', but others refute this.  Our current house has a TV aerial point in every room except bathrooms and the Kitchen.  I have put a small TV in the kitchen which uses only streaming and apart from the slightly cumbersome differences between the different stations catch-up options, it has proven easy and reliable to use.  Add to that the fact that most series are now put on as box sets to access at any time there is little need to watch TV to a schedule at all and all my TV's have wifi.  Admittedly there are still some channels that don't have catch up and generally films are excluded from catch up services but it a simple way to watch TV without breaching the licensing law unless you want to watch BBC and considering the rubbish and repeats they put out, I don't think it's worth nearly £150a year and expensive and unreliable TV recorders.

In a nutshell, providing I don't watch BBC or use an aerial/dish to access programmes and only watch on line, will I be breaking the law?

Mike.X

You need a licence to watch / record any programme by any means of transmission / streaming if the programme is being shown live while you're watching it.

A live programme includes the + 1 hour programmes.

You wouldn't need a licence to watch it on catch-up unless it was a BBC programme.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Bobcat

« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2019, 09:35:28 AM »
Is it really worth the effort to save £3 per week ??

sparky

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2019, 09:49:03 AM »
Bobcat, Put like that, No, But I still think the TV licence should be scrapped for everybody, and made a subscription channel, The BBC would then have to wake up and start listening to viewers on the quality or otherwise of what is on offer, otherwise viewers would not subscribe given  some of the crap shown now.

xetog

« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2019, 10:15:06 AM »

Thanks all for your input.  Like sparky I think that the BBC should stand on its own feet and not go running back to the public every tie it finds another nonentity to spend it's money on.  The Government (us) should perhaps cough up for the foreign propaganda services, but other than that they should have old programmes on demand like 4 & 5 and show only new stuff.  That would take us back to the older days when they would only broadcast from about midday until 6.00pm.  We could then set our recorders for 6 hours (mine records 30 hours) and see what we want, when we want it.  It's not that the other channels have great programmes, but at least they have loads of un-broadcast stuff hidden away online, some good ones too. We find ourselves watching more and more content online.  TV Play is good too.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

mick607

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2019, 01:33:22 PM »
I strongly believe £154 for a tv license in a blatant rip-off.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2019, 02:52:47 PM »
I strongly believe £154 for a tv license in a blatant rip-off.

I don't, it's an insurance policy that will avoid the hassle of people knocking on my door wanting to know if I have a TV.

Cassandra

« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2019, 03:39:03 PM »
Bobcat, Put like that, No, But I still think the TV licence should be scrapped for everybody, and made a subscription channel, The BBC would then have to wake up and start listening to viewers on the quality or otherwise of what is on offer, otherwise viewers would not subscribe given  some of the crap shown now.

I fully agree Sparky. But anyone who can pay Lineker £1.6 million a year for a few hours work a week, can afford to honour the 75 age threshold moratorium. If they wish to persist in this charge than I want the option to 'opt out'.

My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2019, 03:41:24 PM »

I don't, it's an insurance policy that will avoid the hassle of people knocking on my door wanting to know if I have a TV.

I'm with you, could I do with the hassle of walking the 'what can I watch' tightrope?

No.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

mick607

Re: Getting around the TV license.part 2
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2020, 08:04:34 PM »
I read the BBC want a broadband levy to replace the tv license fee if Boris decriminalises the offence of having no tv license.
Those BBC [censored] never give up.

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2020, 11:21:51 PM »
I like the BBC on the whole. I see it as a prestigious broadcaster, known throughout the world and with a global reputation for honest reportage but it is also seen as the mouth of the guv'mint so the bias is up-front and 'honest'. What's wrong with that?..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Walter

« Reply #13 on: Apr 01, 2020, 07:15:59 AM »

I agree I am very selective with what I watch and have little or no interest in some of the crap on the box these days
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

klondike

« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2020, 11:14:42 AM »
I like the BBC on the whole.
Glad to hear that zoony. You and others who agree can pay for a subscription then giving those who disagree the option of using the £150 or so a year on something they like.
So long and thanks for all the fish