Author Topic: duffle coats & padded jackets,.  (Read 1484 times)

Alfred

duffle coats & padded jackets,.
« on: Jul 16, 2019, 08:04:13 PM »
Although were in summer, and winter is far away (said he hopefully,) but if you cast your mind back, quite a few years  duffle coats were worn and used by many people, almost fashionable  then,

where as today the so called modern duffle coat, isnt the same as the ones that had toggles instead of buttons , complete with a hood,and it was a light brown colour,  today there are different and varied ones nothing like the original ones.

Q  in the past did you ever have one, or  even wore one , even though today padded jackets have been around for a long time and in winter will keep you well protected  being padded,

Ode Iron

Re: duffle coats & padded jackets,.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2019, 09:30:51 PM »
Indeed Alfred..my Dad's old forces duffle coat served as a 1960's duvet.
Those Gannex macs were awful..favoured by Harold Wilson if i recall...anyone remember Car Coats?...or bum freezers my Mam called them.
Masks are muzzles

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2019, 09:48:02 PM »
My everyday Winter coat is made by the company who supply the Chicago PD with their winter wear..I've been in Chicago on a cold day with a biting wind coming from the Arctic north across Lake Michigan and being funnelled between the skyscrapers. Never felt cold like it, even in an Alaskan winter. I was wearing a full-length, cow-hide coat lined with sheepskin and I was perished!
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2019, 07:35:39 AM »
I had a navy blue duffel coat as a teenager, these days I like very lightweight down coats in cold weather.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2019, 09:05:44 AM »
I had a duffle coat many years ago - had toggles, but no hood. A colleague of mine, Mike Hayhoe, also wore one and his boss rather cuttingly observed 'Hayhoe, anyone else in a coat like that would look like a destroyer captain - you look like a bargee'
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2019, 11:46:06 AM »
Indeed Alfred..my Dad's old forces duffle coat served as a 1960's duvet.
Those Gannex macs were awful..favoured by Harold Wilson if i recall...anyone remember Car Coats?...or bum freezers my Mam called them.

Thanks Ode Iron, I was trying to remember the name Gannex a couple of weeks ago

Harold Wilson was involved in some dodgy dealings with Joseph Kagan, the owner of Gannex, to whom Wilson  gave a Knighthood in 1976 & who was stripped of it in 1982.

Wilson was also involved with a dodgy-dealing insurance broker & these are what led to him resigning before the security service outed him.

The grubby little toad.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2019, 01:08:35 PM »
He was also suffering from the onset of dementia (I think Alzheimer's).
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2019, 01:54:29 PM »
By sheer coincidence, Janner was suddenly diagnosed with dementia when he was caught.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Raven

« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2019, 02:31:25 PM »
I wore a duffle every winter when I was at school, I loved it. I still have an old fashioned type in the wardrobe that used to belong to my dad. I refused to part with it after he passed. I still wear it sometimes but mostly wear my Barber.

Ode Iron

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2019, 05:31:21 PM »
Diasi..was Harold dating his Secretary as well?..he was always preaching about his precious Mary...on the subject of coats, a good crombie never goes out of fashion, but only sees the light of day lately for funerals.
Masks are muzzles

mick607

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2019, 07:23:28 PM »
I've got three Crombies & yes they get worn at funerals too.Anyone had a Donkey Jacket ? I had one without the leather/plastic on the back !

Ode Iron

« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2019, 07:27:54 PM »
When i worked at Boots chemical dept...they issued us with heavy and very rough material Donkey Jackets..ex Navy issue...no expense spared eh?
Masks are muzzles

Scrumpy

« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2019, 07:29:20 PM »
Crombies looked great.
When an old mate of mine died his widow gave my daughter Marnie his Crombie coat . It saw her through college..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

mick607

« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2019, 07:31:04 PM »
Mine was lovely & soft & warm, funny though I could never "Pull" wearing that jacket ! I think the size ten boots put em off, you try to dance wearing those !! ;D ;D

little bob

« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2019, 07:35:24 PM »
I had a Donkey Jacket for years --got it from the Army and Navy Stores--not seen one for years.