Author Topic: duffle coats & padded jackets,.  (Read 1483 times)

Diasi

Re: duffle coats & padded jackets,.
« Reply #15 on: Jul 17, 2019, 09:49:52 PM »
Diasi..was Harold dating his Secretary as well?..he was always preaching about his precious Mary...on the subject of coats, a good crombie never goes out of fashion, but only sees the light of day lately for funerals.

Indeed he was Ode Iron, I'd forgotten that.

Wilson was as corrupt as it's possible to get for a politician.

I had a good overcoat that went missing during one of my numerous house moves & I've never got round to replacing it.

i think cars have made overcoats less necessary as we hardly ever spend any time in the cold any more, but this thread has made me think about getting one.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

stellamaris

« Reply #16 on: Jul 17, 2019, 10:14:34 PM »

https://www.dufflecoatsuk.co.uk

The above website is full of objects of desire in the duffle coat line.  That is if you can open it from above - I can't.   I look at it a lot.  A tad expensive but not ridiculously so.  The only thing that stops me buying is that the coats may outlast me.

I remember something called reefer jackets.

Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

zoony

« Reply #17 on: Jul 17, 2019, 10:19:05 PM »

The only thing that stops me buying is that the coats may outlast me.

Yes Spud, but what if you pop your clogs in the winter? You'll need something warm to wear.. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

stellamaris

« Reply #18 on: Jul 17, 2019, 10:26:26 PM »
 ;D ;D  I'm laughing zoony - but I don't quite get it.  And nothing spoils a joke like having to explain it to a thicko.......................so I'll ponder on it.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Ode Iron

« Reply #19 on: Jul 18, 2019, 12:54:44 AM »
Mekkin' me think back now!
Apart from Army Surplus shops..i do recall wagon drivers wearing old trench coats or army blouses...and the familiar sight as elderly  male neighbours emptied the 'wine bucket' in the yard grate of a morning..Grandad vest...trousers up to the chest..belt with military or regimental cap badges attached..and a woodbine hanging off the lip.
Still got one of those Sappers sleeveless leather waistcoat or jerkin...very heavy...as worn when raiding the Army Camp in League Of Gentleman film.
Masks are muzzles

zoony

« Reply #20 on: Jul 18, 2019, 02:08:18 AM »
Our coalman and his mate wore those heavy-duty, sleeveless jackets..Built to last, as most things were then..I was born in 1949 so by the time I was thinking, we had a glamorous new Queen and all was right in a world that was still in black and white but showing promise..Kids still pored over comics showing the dastardly hun being crushed beneath various hero's boots and England was still a mess.
  The old man across the road, Mr Bardsley, who wore one of those massive boots that some unfortunate folk wore in those days as a result of some childhood problem, lived with his son and his German wife, Emmy. It's only with hindsight that I realize why they kept to themselves so much.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Raven

« Reply #21 on: Jul 18, 2019, 09:32:13 AM »

The above website is full of objects of desire in the duffle coat line.  That is if you can open it from above - I can't.   I look at it a lot.  A tad expensive but not ridiculously so.  The only thing that stops me buying is that the coats may outlast me.

I remember something called reefer jackets.

I have a Reefer Jacket with the epaulets on the shoulders, and the gold buttons with the anchor lol. I loved it but stopped wearing it when double breasted went out of fashion.

Diasi

« Reply #22 on: Jul 18, 2019, 12:29:05 PM »

The old man across the road, Mr Bardsley, who wore one of those massive boots that some unfortunate folk wore in those days as a result of some childhood problem.

People with club feet wore them, but today the condition is fixed by a series of operations during childhood.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)