Author Topic: Eye opener.  (Read 409 times)

Scrumpy

Eye opener.
« on: Jul 20, 2019, 11:49:49 AM »

This morning I was at the doctors surgery..

I had to wee in a little sample tube thing.. Very difficult.. I couldn't see to aim straight..
I was blood tested for diabetes.. It read very high and the doctor was concerned.. She called in the diabetes nurse ..
The nurse questioned me and discovered that I had taken a glucose tablet in the
waiting room.. She cleaned my finger on the opposite hand that the doctor had taken the blood test. The reading was so much lower.. There was no panic..
  Apparently there were remains of the glucose tablet on my fingers and this, coupled with fact that I had just popped one, caused a high reading..
  I was advised by a friend to take glucose tablets because of symptoms she said it was a  (sugar level drop) that I was experiencing ..
So I have been popping glucose tablets.. The doctor said that we can cause diabetes problems and symptoms by taking things like this when they are not needed.
  I have thrown them away..   
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

mick607

Re: Eye opener.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2019, 11:54:32 AM »
When I had Hypo's with diabetes my nurse advised me to chew jelly babies instead of glucose sweets, much cheaper too.

Sheila

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2019, 11:55:41 AM »
I'm pleased you are ok Scrumpy.  Something similar happened to my husband but he had had a bad throat and had eaten a lot of Soothers.  He was supposed to go back to be checked again - but he is a man so hasn't.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2019, 01:27:38 PM »
There are some odd things to look out for. I have a breathalyser, and if I have have had a glass of wine or two at lunch and for some reason (pretty unusual) I want to drive somewhere in the evening, I use it to check that my system is clear of alcohol. Obviously, if it isn't, I don't go - only drive on a zero reading. The other day, having had quite a bit to drink at dinner the previous night, I did as I always do, and checked my blood alcohol level, which in the past has always been zero under those circumstances - I was horrified to find that I was considerably over the Scottish limit (although not that if the rest of the UK). Then the penny dropped - a couple of minutes before taking the reading, I had cleaned my teeth - so don't drive straight after cleaning your teeth! Daft, isn't it!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

mick607

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2019, 04:05:14 PM »
I saw some electronic breathylsers in Tesco the other day for £5.Amazing what you can buy these days !I don't need one cos I don't drive anymore  ;D ;D

Diasi

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2019, 08:28:01 PM »
I saw some electronic breathylsers in Tesco the other day for £5.Amazing what you can buy these days !I don't need one cos I don't drive anymore  ;D ;D

I don't need one as I don't drink so there's never any residual alcohol that can be topped up by mouthwash etc.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Ode Iron

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2019, 11:04:34 PM »
Very risky here in Ireland..not sure but i think the machines/ device used to detect drink are Danish..which i am led to believe have zero tolerance..so i don't equate any alcohol now...with driving. Diasi..my friend was bagged at Xmas..and regisitered for booze..it was early morning and he had only  used mouthwash!
Plus given distances here..my humble banger is a must.
Masks are muzzles