Author Topic: The winter of 63  (Read 1013 times)

Sheila

The winter of 63
« on: Jul 31, 2019, 09:01:23 AM »
They are talking about the weather in 1963 on BBC News.  I had started work at Unilever in Port Sunlight and had a two bus, hour long journey to and from work.  I remember being absolutely frozen.

There was a long hill on one of the bus journeys and all the passengers had to get off the bus and try to push the bus up the hill.  Health and safety would probably now allow this now!

Diasi

Re: The winter of 63
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2019, 10:03:15 AM »
They are talking about the weather in 1963 on BBC News.  I had started work at Unilever in Port Sunlight and had a two bus, hour long journey to and from work.  I remember being absolutely frozen.

There was a long hill on one of the bus journeys and all the passengers had to get off the bus and try to push the bus up the hill.  Health and safety would probably now allow this now!

You wouldn't even be allowed off the bus until a risk assessment had been done & a replacement bus had arrived.

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2019, 11:35:36 AM »
If it could get up the hill! Remember it well. with us Hampton, Middlesex - it stated Boxing Day evening. I had gone to the off-licence for fags for mum and me - only hundred yards or so, and as I came out, snowflakes started to fall. We still had heaps of snow where it had been swept off roads, etc, at Easter. I went to work by bus it was a COLD journey!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Bee

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2019, 11:48:43 AM »
I remember the winter of 1963, I live at a busy international port and at the time I worked for a shipping and forwarding agency, depending how I felt I went to work on the bus, train or cycled.

Going down to the port was a long hill and some of the custom officers went to work on their skyes to the Custom House.

Our harbour was also frozen over plus the town was cut off for a few days, traffic couldn't get in or out.
The only way is up....

Scrumpy

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2019, 07:14:18 PM »
1963.. The young twins who lived next door had never seen snow.They were so excited .. It lasted 10 weeks.

A man who was visiting his wife in hospital told her that his false teeth had frozen in the glass overnight.

Me and Connie still managed to get to the club/pub in our high heels and short skirts.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2019, 07:18:56 PM »
I remember nothing of 1963. I was 14 and I didn't wake up until 15..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

little bob

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2019, 07:22:11 PM »
I remember 1963 very well--I was a young Butchers Boy and had to take orders out by bike--a hell of a job sliding everywhere falling off every few yards --some days I would get a lift off the postman in his van that winter was a killer even working in the shop with door wide open ::)

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2019, 10:47:49 PM »
My father died in the winter of 1963.  I don't remember the weather being any worse than in most winters when I was young.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2019, 10:58:52 PM »
How very sad, Mac. You must've been a teenager..I guess you wouldn't remember much about that year other than that..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2019, 03:23:24 PM »
Hi Granny, i was in Doncaster and was working on the high flats on Balby road [well they were high in those days] anyway the weather closed in and all building sites were shut down for three months, i went to National Assistance and was awarded 5 guineas lol.... but went back down t'pit... i think that was the start of the year, then JFK got murdered
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Alex22

« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2019, 03:58:02 PM »
Geez I can't remember what I did last week never mind 1963, but I think it was my last year at school - no idea what the weather was like.

crabbyob

« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2019, 04:11:43 PM »
i also went into the Sanitorium with T.B. certain things jog your memory Alex...
Anthony Barbour was the TORY M.P. for Doncaster and visited all of us in Hospitals...lol
the NUM also visited me at Xmas and gave me a pair of woolly socks and ten Park Drive
ahh happy daze
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Alex22

« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2019, 04:21:35 PM »
You were in hossie with a lung condition and the NUM brought you fags  ?    ::) ::)

xetog

« Reply #13 on: Aug 01, 2019, 04:54:53 PM »

I met my wife in February '63.  It was cold and hard to get around, but the trains didn't stop and I still got to work. My cousin used to give me a lift to the bus stop in Wandsworth even in the deep snow and his car never had a heater, a luxury in those days. I remember walking down the main street in the tracks of the busses because the pavements were too deep in snow and remember, later when the snow had been cleared walking along an icy pavement with four colleagues one slipped and we all went down like skittles.  I also remember walking down Richmond high street late at night one the eve of my 21st birthday with, by then my intended, and saw placards for the Evening Standard, long gone now, saying that Kennedy had been assassinated.  At first we thought it the work of a prankster, but after a few hundred yards and a couple more newspaper stands it was obviously true.  Strange, in those days we thought nothing of seeing the latest news on newspaper stands changed even quite late at night.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

crabbyob

« Reply #14 on: Aug 01, 2019, 05:12:08 PM »
yes Alex, miners were not noted for their lifestyle choices
we all had to sit an i.q. test, and those who passed didnt get a job...