Author Topic: The First Test.  (Read 14610 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: The First Test.
« Reply #120 on: Aug 18, 2019, 01:11:58 PM »
Sadly, he isn't. ACB - or is it ACA - I can never remember - have withdrawn him from the rest of the game and he is doubtful for the next Test. There will be a concussion substitute - don't know who yet - which is good, I have always seethed at the fact that cricket doesn't allow subs to bat and bowl - totally unfair
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #121 on: Aug 18, 2019, 07:48:11 PM »
An interesting Test, I thought, with honours even at the end. Blasted rain.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #122 on: Aug 18, 2019, 08:47:53 PM »
Yes, an entire day lost didn't help - and at start of play today it could have gone either way. I feel sorry for Jason Roy - can't buy a run and dropped a sitter of a catch which might have been crucial.
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #123 on: Aug 18, 2019, 08:50:11 PM »
Oh, and when I said it was unfair that subs aren't allowed to bat or bowl, I meant only in the case of injury severe enough to end a player's participation in the match. Otherwise, we'll get like soccer and Rugby with tactical substitutions
Incidentally - this has been referred to as a 'concussion substitute'. Supposing that ball from Archer which hit Smith on the arm had broken the bone, rendering him incapable of carrying on. Would that warrant a similar substitution - and if not, why not?
Mike

zoony

« Reply #124 on: Aug 18, 2019, 09:24:44 PM »
I don't know the rule but it figures that an injury which is serious enough to incapacitate would lead to a similar, like-for-like substitution. The thing about a concussion injury is that it's not always obvious so I completely agree with an assessment by people who have no dog in the fight. It's better than the unfairness of 10 playing 11. A broken arm can be quickly diagnosed while the 12th man is on the field. Then there was Labuschagne getting beaned. If he gets concussed I assume there'd be a replacements replacement. With Archer the Demon Bowler on song anything could happen.

cowboy wisdom.

Cassandra

« Reply #125 on: Aug 18, 2019, 09:51:14 PM »
Little to argue there Cassie and beautifully encapsulated, as always. I see why you became a barrister and I a guitar player. ;D
Zoon thank you for your comment. I write a summary of play each day on Tests which is transmitted to a network of hospitals and care homes etc. In addition I write a report on each Test for my local Cricket club and the one I once chaired in Northern League cricket, nearly forty years ago now. So I apologise if the posts I put on here are longer than I know some object to on this format, as they are in fact the text of those synopsis, which take me a mere 5 five minutes or so to dictate as an MP3. I also use an auto dictate / type application, which also sadly I’m sure for many also lengthens my diatribes!

In response there are also requests for opinion on say Video umpiring, etc etc. which go out mid-week as a thirty minute exchange via the internal radio programmes and I’ll research for specific data on say either statistics or past player profiles by request, as many of my readers and listeners are blind.

They are offered after 65 years playing, coaching, umpiring and writing on the game I love. I’m reknown for opinionative criticism and PC is not my forté. However I hope, like my feelings for Steve Smith’s welfare yesterday I’m objective and fair in what I report. I was indeed fortunate to meet and spend happy hours in the company of the Great John Arlott, following his retirement to Alderney, a place I took a team to each season for a weekends cricket. Over those happy years he was kind enough to help me when I wrote my friends book. I should add he also enjoyed reviewing the various wines I took with me as well!
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

zoony

« Reply #126 on: Aug 18, 2019, 11:03:28 PM »
Ah, I see. Thank you. That explains much. It's a lovely service you provide and I'm sure it means much to your listeners/readers. Nae bother about the length of your posts, I enjoy them very much and, to me, they are even-handed and observative missals. Not so much a view from the boundary as a view from the Pavilion, as it were.  :)

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #127 on: Aug 19, 2019, 10:22:17 AM »
as i have previously stated my cricket knowledge is hovering around zero
but i enjoy hearing [reading] a persons opinion on a subject they love, as several posters in this thread continue to demonstrate, you are offending no-one and educating the great unwashed
i hope you are all heading oop north [sideways for Zoony] to Headingly... ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #128 on: Aug 19, 2019, 11:27:20 AM »
That's a nice thing to say Crabby but think I'll wait for Old Trafford.. ;)

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #129 on: Aug 19, 2019, 12:17:50 PM »
there is nothing worse than the great unwashed giving an ignorant opinion..
i remember when Billy Bremner came to Doncaster to manage the club, it was a few games before i got down to watch his team [i played on a saturday] anyway this mouth almighty standing directly in front of me was calling Bremner every foulmouthed name he could muster, his two skinhead sons stood each side of him, then he shouted out "come on Bremner wheres yer half backs an yer inside forwards" i had to tap his shoulder, he turned and glared at me, so i asked him if he lived in a cupboard under the stairs somewhere, "wotcher on ahaht" "didnt you know England won the world cup wi no half-backs or inside forwards" "so?" "so shut up" [i did insert some adjectives] "i'm entitled to my opinion" i nodded "you sure are but keep them to yerself you are offending my ears" he turned and was quiet for the rest of the game... we are all entitled to an opinion but if its [censored] keep them to yourself...[/i][/i]
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Cassandra

« Reply #130 on: Aug 19, 2019, 05:11:17 PM »
Well this weather effected match has gone, but its short life has left many questions for England to ponder. Firstly the worrying inability of  batsmen with the concentration and patience to play the five day game. The slow bowler role and the most effective way to utilise arguably the most exciting quick bowler we’ve had since Frank Tyson. We saw yesterday a better performance with the bat from England, Root apart who again was awful. Both Buttler (a dasher) and Bairstow exercised more restraint and patience in a tricky two speed innings. First aim to secure the match could not be lost and to then accumulate runs quickly in attempting to bowl out Australia in 50 or so overs. I thought they handled both objectives well. Perhaps we could have used Jack Leach as an opener and let Roy loose to attack at say number 5? Not that it would have made much difference as the shadows grew longer and the overs declined. A ’Winning’ draw was a moral booster though.

With the ball Archer again was supreme, I repeat his quick arm, with a high action from a tall man is a real problem for even the absolute best on any wicket. You can’t come forward because of his lift and going back (which most Aussies do as an initial instinct) is fraught with danger from the occasional flyers he looses from no apparent action change. Don’t forget the home of cricket has a height difference of over 8ft from one side of the field to the other, a North to South slope. Great Middlesex quicks like Moss, Daniel and Price used the so called ‘ridge’ on the table well over many years. Archer showed us yesterday how his combinative action skills at ‘Headquarters’ rendered the ball into a jumping keepers gloves from off a length! He generates all this power from a slender frame and a run of only 10 paces. His spells yesterday were truly intimidatory, searing pace and bounce, reminding me of the days of menace from Croft, Marshall, Daniel, Holding and Roberts. We however only have him in this role and Root (hopefully closely instructed) seems to have declined the temptation to overbowl him thank goodness. Jack Leach did well I thought, nice delivery loop and he can tweek it as well. He must be persevered with, he’s a far more dependable all round player than the enigmatic Moeen Ali, who could still appear in the carnival, limited over bang, bang, abang stuff.

The ‘concussion’ stand in Marnus Labuschagne performed with maturity and skill in a most difficult theatre. He was definitely not out, a clear grounded ball before Root got fingers underneath same. He was unlucky to get this poor adjudication after withstanding Archer with great aplomb and physical courage. They must retain him.

I’ve left the stupendous Ben Stokes till last. What a performance. Physical and mental strength, allied to natural self confidence are these days tempered by a resolute defensive technique. He’s learnt to be patient, wait for the loose ball and hit it hard. Those two lofted drives for six were wonderful, what a talent he is to behold. Denly’s amazing catch too, simply stupendous. Lets hope after having done all the hard work getting ‘in’ on both occasions this Test, he can hold his concentration together and not relapse into the one day slash shots that have been his undoing in the past. Sadly I don’t believe Root can lead by example, or discipline and just seems to be ‘one of the lads’. Have no doubt he’s no Michael Vaughan.

Leeds a place of swift weather change and scurrying Pennines clouds garners great conditions for swing bowlers. Both side will be dangerous to the batters, it could depend on who gets the sunshine? Lets hope if the selectors return Anderson here, they make doubly sure that at 37 he’s fully match fit don’t drop Archer! Personally I’d retire him now, but I fear the faceless ones want his name behind six hundred wickets (575 to date) in gold letters on the board in the Long room at NW8.

Finally lets all live in the expectation that Steve Smith’s head blow trauma is over and his non inclusion for Leeds is only ultra precautionary. A sickening direct blow to the upper neck and lower skull ridge he has my complete sympathy and most sincere good wish’s for a swift and complete recovery.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

zoony

« Reply #131 on: Aug 19, 2019, 05:32:50 PM »
  Time to stop the petulant booing as well. To jeer at such a great and courageous batsman as he walks off with a head injury is just churlish.

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #132 on: Aug 19, 2019, 06:05:49 PM »
Yes - much as I dislike the tampering scandal, it's time to move on. I do wonder which is the worse offence, the ball tampering or the match fixing - after all, the Pakistan players caught up in that received far more severe punishment, including jail time.
Going back to the match - Root's catch looked OK to me from one angle, definitely not from another - so which do you go by?
I do feel for Roy - at the moment the poor lad doesn't seem to be able to do anything right - can't help feeling that his dropped catch owed much to his mind having his poor form with the bat front and centre.
The slope at Lords; despite all the times that I have been there, I can NEVER remember which way it goes unless I am actually sitting at the ground when it is so obvious!
Mike

crabbyob

« Reply #133 on: Aug 19, 2019, 06:08:46 PM »
i think Chris might add a Cricket section, for you guys

Michael Rolls

« Reply #134 on: Aug 19, 2019, 06:19:01 PM »
Oh, and Anderson isn't in the squad for Headingley - going to play in a Second XI game to prove his fitness (fingers crossed)
Mike