Author Topic: united kingdom beautiful country villages,  (Read 1203 times)

sparky

Re: united kingdom beautiful country villages,
« Reply #15 on: Aug 06, 2019, 08:53:11 AM »
Compared to the place were I was born and spent much of my earlier life,  London is now, and has been for many years,  the pits, which is why all my many relatives, and 95% f my friends, have relocated elsewhere as soon as they were able.

crabbyob

« Reply #16 on: Aug 06, 2019, 11:06:51 AM »
sounds like London is a great place..... to come from
i lived there for a few years in the early sixties
the worse bus service i have ever experienced
Edgeware Road
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

GrannyMac

« Reply #17 on: Aug 06, 2019, 11:56:32 AM »
Compared to the place were I was born and spent much of my earlier life,  London is now, and has been for many years,  the pits, which is why all my many relatives, and 95% f my friends, have relocated elsewhere as soon as they were able.

I'm reading The Child of the Jago, set in Shoreditch at the end of the 19th century.  Living standards for the poor were indescribable, and crime was rife. My husband's grandfather was born into a poor family in the East End. His GFs mother died in her forties, in a workhouse.  Her  youngest child was sent to an orphanage, one son sent to be a miner in Wales. The other daughters were in service, grandfather ended up working on the railways in the north west where he settled.  Their father was already in an institution where he died.

Yes, London was a fantastic place. 

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Coastal

« Reply #18 on: Aug 06, 2019, 02:10:21 PM »
You wouldn't get me there for a day trip let alone living there (I was about 18 the last time I went, so 1972 ish) small towns are okay for the occasional visit for shopping etc (and the pub) it's about 2˝ miles to the centre of Llandod for me and that's close enough. the odd trip to Hereford (70 round trip) and Aberystwyth or Merthyr (90 round trip)
I only go to the Birmingham area to visit friends, and even then nowhere near the City Centre.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......