Author Topic: Television Adverts  (Read 2273 times)

Ashy

Re: Television Adverts
« Reply #15 on: Aug 07, 2019, 03:47:01 PM »
In the same way as we couldn't smell St Bruno tobacco smoke, but note the effects...

Cassandra

« Reply #16 on: Aug 07, 2019, 06:31:44 PM »
In the same way as we couldn't smell St Bruno tobacco smoke, but note the effects...

I spent much of my life in this area (Aldwych/Strand) and remember the Ad, it's haunting theme and the 'Sinatra' look alike actor well. As I recall they were really horrible to smoke, even worse than 'Woodbines' but they sold them in 'Fives' for an old sixpence and as a bankrupt student they had their place. The packet was cool too. Imagine offering a girl a 'Woody', when you could flash your impressive mini pack Strands around all over the place!
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Sheila

« Reply #17 on: Aug 07, 2019, 07:01:19 PM »
The adverts that say their product is 'up to 100% effective'.  That could mean it is 0.00001% effective!

Also there doesn't seem to be anything private these days - Tena lady etc.  Who wants to see adverts like that?

Coastal

« Reply #18 on: Aug 07, 2019, 07:45:51 PM »
I know what you mean about the products, many of the adverts have fast cars and fancy drop backs, with absolutely no connection to the product they are actually trying to sell, surely the whole idea of advertising is to push the product on offer, and yet some of the ads seem to go out of their way to hide it  ???   
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Michael Rolls

« Reply #19 on: Aug 08, 2019, 03:08:42 AM »
I know what you mean about the products, many of the adverts have fast cars and fancy drop backs, with absolutely no connection to the product they are actually trying to sell, surely the whole idea of advertising is to push the product on offer, and yet some of the ads seem to go out of their way to hide it  ???
Probably because it is rubbish
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #20 on: Aug 08, 2019, 04:19:56 PM »
I find the subtle inclusive/politically correct/improbable adverts mildly amusing! The my-daughter's-married-a-black-man-so I-must-ask-my-gay-asian-neighbour-if-i-should-sell-my-house types.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #21 on: Aug 09, 2019, 08:23:50 AM »
Ah, but does he have a works pension?
Mike  ;D ;D

StephenM123

« Reply #22 on: Aug 09, 2019, 08:42:18 AM »

Also there doesn't seem to be anything private these days - Tena lady etc.  Who wants to see adverts like that?

I don't actually want these type of adverts and LGBT issues on television when I am watching TV with young grandchildren!

Although they watch a lot of cartoons at home they love programs about animals and nature. The odd horse race goes down well as we all try to pick the winner. And the betting is a good intro to arithmetic!

Coastal

« Reply #23 on: Aug 09, 2019, 10:37:31 AM »
One of the three R's ........... Reading Writing and Racing 

ps, I agree about some of the advert products and contents.

StephenM123

« Reply #24 on: Aug 09, 2019, 11:02:07 AM »
I always explain that betting is purely for fun and with money you can spare. Their great grandmother loved a day at the races, took £20 or £30 in her handbag for betting and that was that. A half of Guinness or a small glass of champagne made the day!

Coastal

« Reply #25 on: Aug 09, 2019, 11:37:02 AM »
Well you might as well tell them about gambling (as long as you mention the negative side) because (and as they say) back to the subject, I would say a high percentage of adverts these days are for Bingo, Lotteries, Charity Lotteries, and Gambling Sites etc, it's impossible to miss them, always giving you ideas of what to do with your winnings, but funnily enough they NEVER mention losing, strange that.   

Muffin

« Reply #26 on: Aug 09, 2019, 12:58:17 PM »
The are my time to run to the loo or run to make a cuppa .. ;)

Cassandra

« Reply #27 on: Aug 09, 2019, 02:21:14 PM »
The are my time to run to the loo or run to make a cuppa .. ;)

I never watch Live TV or worse listen to Radio channels like LBC, I record them and then FF through the fatuous spontaneity of cack for broadband, mobile phone deals, PPI, cheap glasses etc etc. However the millenials within their management meetings, who decide these things, are getting wise to this. Not only are they now switching instantly to commercials without a banner proclaiming 'Don't go away' etc; but recently show Ads that appear to be part of the programme, specifically inclined to whatever genre of broadcast is being shown! In this way I'm picking up cack remnant, by halting the FF feature prematurely!
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #28 on: Aug 09, 2019, 03:27:42 PM »
Yes, I've noticed this tendency of the sudden switch and more than once (I'm another record/FF believer) I'm caught out wondering  what I have missed for this sudden change in the plot!
Mike

Yellowbird

« Reply #29 on: Aug 09, 2019, 07:40:29 PM »
The nickerpad adverts drive me mad I turn the sound off
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly