Author Topic: Exaggerate,  (Read 241 times)

Alfred

Exaggerate,
« on: Aug 08, 2019, 08:15:44 AM »
Im sure many of you like me have from time to time come across some one or other who tells a simple story or event that actually happened, and goes on and exaggerates it as they try to impress you,.

of course i suppose exaggeration can in some instances colour a story to make it more interesting possibly attractive as the narrative goes on,  and others like to tell whoppers,.                               

Q; so have you ever come across  such a person and if so what did you think of their story, and will you share it with us,

Raven

Re: Exaggerate,
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »
Yep my dad, he was a Bus Driver for Alexanders and the Tour Buses were always asking for him as he was a Highlander who knew his Scottish History. He told great tales about places of interest, mostly true but with a good helping of blether added in to spice the story up. ::) The tourists loved him and he made a lot in tips from them. ;D

Macca

Re: Exaggerate,
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2019, 09:12:32 AM »
The story's I dislike are when men talk and say they were "on the doors"!!  i/e a Bouncer. Yes of course men and women do this but I can always tell straight away when this is machismo crap.
I think tolerance is key because 99% of us do exaggerate. There is evidence to show the more you repeat a story the more the Lily is gilded to bolster ones image. I did 3 Marathons (now I am doing it) average time 3 hrs 12 minutes. If this comes up I often say "3 hrs".... leaving off the 12 minutes. I suspect quite soon it will be 2 hrs 30 mins" LOL

"Don't argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain