Author Topic: I wonder if Hugh is OK?  (Read 871 times)

Scrumpy

Re: I wonder if Hugh is OK?
« Reply #75 on: Aug 15, 2019, 06:58:14 PM »

Hugh.. Glad you are back.
Crabby ...sorry about yours.  :)
Don't think of a caterpillar dying..Think of a butterfly living.

[email protected]

Hugh

« Reply #76 on: Aug 15, 2019, 07:13:33 PM »
I some how remember you telling me you don't play golf Crabbyob, or did I dream it? :) :) 

crabbyob

« Reply #77 on: Aug 15, 2019, 09:30:10 PM »
that was a nightmare Hugh....lol....
altho i havent managed a game this year for reasons mentioned before..
but i hope to get a couple of games before i head east...
but i cant even drive my car at present never mind a ball...
every hill has a down side

Hugh

« Reply #78 on: Aug 16, 2019, 08:36:25 AM »
Not been hitting the ball very far with the driver crabbyob, around 100 yards carry or there about's. Tried to blame the driver it self, but when trying other drivers was getting the same results. I knew to get my handicap down I must double that carry distance. Even at my age no reason why I can't. I have tied two golf irons together and do swing exercises in the back garden as well as dumbbell exercises. On the driving range on Thursday I was getting 140 yards carry with a range ball. which equals 150 yards of a normal golf ball so I am making progress. CARRY for none golfer reading this, is the distanced to where the ball lands and not the roll afterwards.

crabbyob

« Reply #79 on: Aug 16, 2019, 08:46:57 AM »
so how far do you hit say a five iron?
its not compulsory to drive off the tee, many simply use a fairway wood
or have you heard of a Perfect club, it has a shorter shaft and is easier to hit straight.

Macca

« Reply #80 on: Aug 16, 2019, 08:52:04 AM »
Not been hitting the ball very far with the driver crabbyob, around 100 yards carry or there about's. Tried to blame the driver it self, but when trying other drivers was getting the same results. I knew to get my handicap down I must double that carry distance. Even at my age no reason why I can't. I have tied two golf irons together and do swing exercises in the back garden as well as dumbbell exercises. On the driving range on Thursday I was getting 140 yards carry with a range ball. which equals 150 yards of a normal golf ball so I am making progress. CARRY for none golfer reading this, is the distanced to where the ball lands and not the roll afterwards.
The best way to improve swing is to take up the Teeing Off stance (in your back garden) using a long stiff handled broom and swing at an imaginary ball, following through. You can NOT overuse aggression, which is the number one problem for the average golfer, (males). Do this casually for 15 minutes a day, swing as you would your Golf Club, you will find the whip action in the club is not in the stiff broom swing. Then when you come to use your club on the Golf Course your muscle memory and learned swing (using the broom) will result in a natural, strong swing without unnecessary aggression. You will immediately notice improvements. This can be proven thus: You rarely if ever see a female player trying to smash the ball for miles (the number one flaw in a swing) yet many female players achieve good scores..by virtue of their physique, applied strength, they let the club do the work.
"Don't argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

Hugh

« Reply #81 on: Aug 16, 2019, 08:59:05 AM »
Its the length of the club which gives the highest swing speed Crabbyob and the distance the ball will carry. The 5 iron I am getting around 120 yards with roll. This distance will also increase as my arm strength increases.

crabbyob

« Reply #82 on: Aug 16, 2019, 09:01:37 AM »
i do enjoy watching women drive off the tee...
sadly i live in a terrace, so with a broom i can have the backswing
OR the follow thru, but not both...
and sadly, my muscles hardly remember that they are actually muscles
but a good tip non the less

Macca

« Reply #83 on: Aug 16, 2019, 09:16:13 AM »
i do enjoy watching women drive off the tee...
sadly i live in a terrace, so with a broom i can have the backswing
OR the follow thru, but not both...
and sadly, my muscles hardly remember that they are actually muscles
but a good tip non the less
LOL.... It takes me 10 minutes to find my car after leaving the 19th
"Don't argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

Hugh

« Reply #84 on: Aug 16, 2019, 09:22:02 AM »
Not going to disagree with you Macca, but I believe tying two golf irons together for weight will give a better results. Its also a matter of getting the correct golf swing which wouldn't be possible with a broom due to its length. Making the club do the work is quite true statement, so often trying to hit the ball to hard your hand get in front of the club head, which then sends the ball way off target.

Hugh

« Reply #85 on: Aug 16, 2019, 09:25:08 AM »
LOL.... It takes me 10 minutes to find my car after leaving the 19th

After how many pints Macca LOL

Macca

« Reply #86 on: Aug 16, 2019, 09:31:08 AM »
After how many pints Macca LOL

No.. thats without having had any alcohol!!!

crabbyob

« Reply #87 on: Aug 16, 2019, 09:43:04 AM »
i used to think that cars with a Micky Mouse stuck on the aerial looked stupid
but on reflection... ;D

Macca

« Reply #88 on: Aug 16, 2019, 09:45:32 AM »
i used to think that cars with a Micky Mouse stuck on the aerial looked stupid
but on reflection... ;D

Lol ha ha.

Hugh

« Reply #89 on: Aug 16, 2019, 10:56:50 AM »
While talking golf for any one interested, a new handicap system comes in next year. The handicap will be based on your best 8 games out of the last 20.