Author Topic: mowing the lawn  (Read 3116 times)

Hugh

mowing the lawn
« on: Aug 13, 2019, 04:35:31 PM »
This turned into an expensive job. A very good petrol mower I have was very stubborn to start. In this case wasn't the fault of the mower just the old weak codger. Heard a lot about the Gtech battery mower which as very good reports. Argos had one in stock so I dug deep and bought it. The battery took one hour to charge  so had plenty of time to assemble the mower. It had six depth setting so I started highest and worked down to the lowest. It quite surprised me just how much power it had, and just how light the machine was. Certainly going to help me keep the lawns neat and tidy.

Cassandra

Re: mowing the lawn
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2019, 04:45:31 PM »
This turned into an expensive job. A very good petrol mower I have was very stubborn to start. In this case wasn't the fault of the mower just the old weak codger. Heard a lot about the Gtech battery mower which as very good reports. Argos had one in stock so I dug deep and bought it. The battery took one hour to charge  so had plenty of time to assemble the mower. It had six depth setting so I started highest and worked down to the lowest. It quite surprised me just how much power it had, and just how light the machine was. Certainly going to help me keep the lawns neat and tidy.

Had one for three years at my old place. I had a large surface to mow so I got a spare battery, as they then took a fare old time (4-6 hours) to recharge completely, I seem to remember.

Excellent firm to deal with too. I also have an upright cordless vac from them. Another super piece of kit. After two years it started rattling, like a small screw had detached inside the head, nothing too much. I rung them around 4pm. Ten o'clock the next morning a completely new one arrived and they removed the errant original, without argument. Very unusual for today and impossible with some of the Chinese junk served up as well.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Hugh

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2019, 04:52:40 PM »
These new batteries only take one hour to fully charge Cassandra and give 40 minutes of mowing time. A wonderful piece of kit.

Cassandra

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2019, 05:23:15 PM »
These new batteries only take one hour to fully charge Cassandra and give 40 minutes of mowing time. A wonderful piece of kit.

Wow Hugh what an innovation. I checked just now and I got mine in late 2015. I sold it September 2017 when I moved here to a nearby neighbour with grass, (mines entirely block paved). I've seen him using it a lot and he's very pleased with it. You've got a well made item and their also very easy to clean and move about, being so light I found. I was amazed at the power it had too.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Ode Iron

« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2019, 09:10:16 PM »
My petrol mower has a start button..so no pulling and it isn't a ride on. Recently i bought an extended petrol hedge trimmer..handy for height..but topiary is poor.
Masks are muzzles

GrannyMac

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2019, 11:26:08 PM »
I'm in awe of my son's robot mower.  Cuts the grass without anyone being home!  Wiring around the edge means it doesn't stray.  Even with a sit on theirs would take ages, its a field rather than a garden!  We just have a small rotary for our very small patch of grass.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2019, 12:10:53 AM »
  I have grass to the front, grass to the side and grass to the back of me. The front and side are barbered regularly, the back I'm 're-wilding'. Doing sod-all is what it boils down to. ;D  The grass cut at the end of summer and left to lie over winter.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2019, 08:19:24 AM »
Our front is OK, but the back catches much of the runoff from the field behind us, despite Alex's (the farmer) best efforts with directional ploughing, so after a few days of heavy rain, such as we have had lately it gets water-logged and I can't take the mower on it. Currently the grass there is about 6" high
Mike  :'( :'(
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

sparky

« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2019, 08:30:07 AM »

. Currently the grass there is about 6" high

Wow, compared to ours that's a bowling green, on the rare occasions I venture into my garden, you need to watch for the odd hidden tiger.

Maddie Malone

« Reply #9 on: Aug 14, 2019, 08:37:20 AM »

May I suggest artificial grass Someone near us has it  .
Been there for  a few years now and still looks ok .

Less hassle and looks good all year round 😀

sparky

« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2019, 08:42:57 AM »
Maddie, Yeah I keep thinking of going down that route, but end up having the same chap come in 2/3 times a year to do a complete clearance of all greenery .

Maddie Malone

« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2019, 08:56:10 AM »
Sparky I suggested to OH about having some put out the front garden ( after seeing how well it stayed looking after a few years ) but he said living on a busy main road  knowing our luck it would get pinched ☹️ .

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Aug 14, 2019, 11:36:21 AM »
. Currently the grass there is about 6" high

Wow, compared to ours that's a bowling green, on the rare occasions I venture into my garden, you need to watch for the odd hidden tiger.
;D ;D ;D ;D
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 02:15:28 PM »
  I have grass to the front, grass to the side and grass to the back of me. The front and side are barbered regularly, the back I'm 're-wilding'. Doing sod-all is what it boils down to. ;D  The grass cut at the end of summer and left to lie over winter.

Just thought I'd mention that the back grass I have neglected for the last couple of years has lots of wild flowers popping, if not already popped, up. Pleasing to see.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 09:27:30 PM »

Does anyone else use a hand push mower like me? Takes me about an hour and a half or slightly more if I take a break.

I have had electric and petrol mowers in the past but used a push mower for the last four years to force myself to exercise.