Author Topic: New member thank you.  (Read 590 times)

Patrik

New member thank you.
« on: Aug 15, 2019, 01:34:35 PM »

Anyone thinking about retiring abroad?

If so where?

I've been looking myself and really can't find anything that's reasonable on price.

Anyone else out there as any different views?

crabbyob

Re: New member thank you.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2019, 01:54:15 PM »
depends on what your after and how you expect to fund it
or you could do as i do six months away then six months here
i travel to India, but you cant own property in India
but renting an apartment, or in my case a room can be very reasonable
but doing it my way you need somewhere to come home to
so if you were expecting to finance it by selling your home for example that wouldnt work
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Diasi

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2019, 02:14:52 PM »
Anyone thinking about retiring abroad?

If so where?

I've been looking myself and really can't find anything that's reasonable on price.

Anyone else out there as any different views?

I think crabbyob's way is best because he hasn't cut his ties with the UK.

His way you still qualify for NHS treatment & still get the State pension increases.

I know a couple who sold their house, bought a big static caravan that they lived in during the UK summer & went abroad during the UK winter.

Also they didn't have the worry of a house standing empty in the UK.

Come the day that they needed to return to the UK permanently, they intended to rent a house.

P.S. I hope you get something suitable sorted out.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Alfred

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2019, 02:32:32 PM »
Hello Patrik,
welcome to the forum,

Muffin

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2019, 02:57:14 PM »
I don't suppose you can call Ireland abroad but I spend a lot of time there. My best friend left here and moved to Ireland about 15 years ago. It's a lovely place but I couldn't live there all the time, just longish visits then return to my own place.

Alex22

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2019, 06:26:07 PM »
Hi Patrik, welcome to the forum.    Good friends of mine sold their house here and moved to Almeria in Spain.  They rented for 6 months until finding exactly what they wanted.  I don't think they'd ever come back to UK

crabbyob

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2019, 06:36:35 PM »
Alex, after brexit does their pension become effected, as Spain will resort to being foreign again?

“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Alex22

« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2019, 06:41:23 PM »
I don't know Crabby, but he did say a couple of years ago that they don't get as much pension with the R of E, they moved in 2008/2009. 

Scrumpy

« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2019, 06:45:08 PM »
I have an idea that my friends in Australia are paid the pension that they were receiving when they first went out there.  I don’t think they get any increase.. Perhaps this might apply when in Europe.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

mick607

« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2019, 07:36:35 PM »
My thinking is with the state pension increases if you live in a EU country but not if live in a non EU country.

Ode Iron

« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2019, 08:35:34 PM »
Ask Brian, he'll know. I can opt for my British State Pension
( Newcastle.)..or an Irish one.
Going for the latter as it is weekly and higher.
Masks are muzzles

crabbyob

« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2019, 09:37:32 PM »
but what if Ireland goes bankrupt Ode Iron?
i think you might think again...

GrannyMac

« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2019, 09:50:40 PM »
I have an idea that my friends in Australia are paid the pension that they were receiving when they first went out there.  I don’t think they get any increase.. Perhaps this might apply when in Europe.

You're right Scrumpy.  My aunt and uncle returned from New Zealand because their UK pension was frozen if they stayed on.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Macca

« Reply #13 on: Aug 16, 2019, 06:19:15 AM »
Welcome Patrik,
                        I have property abroad and spend several months at a time to and fro. The biggest concern is the varying standards of bureaucracy depending where you choose to buy. Some countries are horrendous almost as if they DO NOT want you to invest. Pensioners are net input because we spend pay taxes with our UK income. I suggest you look on actual websites;forums which deal specifically with a country. For example; Greece - Spain have forums from which well informed members will impart the pros and cons - including prices of property and the flow in the property market.
          I hope you are not sensitive... I do hate to offend. I am not implying you are poor or stupid or incapable when I suggest, as aforesaid for your research. You just can not tell these days.
Good luck.
"Don't argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

Diasi

« Reply #14 on: Aug 16, 2019, 08:31:46 AM »
Welcome Patrik,

I hope you are not sensitive... I do hate to offend. I am not implying you are poor or stupid or incapable when I suggest, as aforesaid for your research. You just can not tell these days.
Good luck.

Well done Macca, you're learning the rules required by some elements of the forum. ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)