Author Topic: Facial Recognition Cameras  (Read 4816 times)

zoony

Re: Facial Recognition Cameras
« Reply #45 on: Aug 17, 2019, 11:49:22 PM »
I'm with you Minnie but maybe that's an age thing? On the other hand I've never understood why people object to CCTV either. Perhaps it's because I'm unimportant but I've no objections to surveilling our streets with cameras. 'S not as if there're any coppers on 'em.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #46 on: Aug 18, 2019, 07:03:29 AM »
Things like this and also CCTV cameras make me feel safer.

Facial recognition & CCTV are not related in any way in what they do, the only commonality is that that they both use a camera.

Facial recognition uses a computer-based system to measure the distances between certain facial features, which it then assumes is person A.

CCTV is monitored by an operator who looks at the face, clothing, what they're carrying, how they walk & can then say to the police, that's definitely person A.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Macca

« Reply #47 on: Aug 18, 2019, 07:12:30 AM »
Facial recognition & CCTV are not related in any way in what they do, the only commonality is that that they both use a camera.

Facial recognition uses a computer-based system to measure the distances between certain facial features, which it then assumes is person A.

CCTV is monitored by an operator who looks at the face, clothing, what they're carrying, how they walk & can then say to the police, that's definitely person A.
Would that be harassment of person A .. which means he would get off any charges??
"Don't argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

Michael Rolls

« Reply #48 on: Aug 18, 2019, 08:44:02 AM »
Would that be harassment of person A .. which means he would get off any charges??
Which 'person A' do you mean? If the FRC one I see your point, given the number of false positives that have been logged up
Mike

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Macca

« Reply #49 on: Aug 18, 2019, 08:46:30 AM »
Which 'person A' do you mean? If the FRC one I see your point, given the number of false positives that have been logged up
Mike

Sorry Mike I was being flippant. Taking the mater to the presumed level, the way this country has gone.
"Don't argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

ronyork

« Reply #50 on: Aug 18, 2019, 09:12:02 AM »
Anything that makes us feel safer must be welcome, If the P.M. keeps his promises with more police . A step in the right direction, stiffer penalties  wonderful , treat thugs  as they treat others not pamper them, It seems the food/medical care , heating e.t,c, they receive is of a higher standard than many  pensioners have. Borstal some form of national service might be a good idea, ( OF COURSE FRIDAY AFTERNOON OFF FOR PRAYERS) how did we win a war ?,

Macca

« Reply #51 on: Aug 18, 2019, 09:20:49 AM »
Anything that makes us feel safer must be welcome, If the P.M. keeps his promises with more police . A step in the right direction, stiffer penalties  wonderful , treat thugs  as they treat others not pamper them, It seems the food/medical care , heating e.t,c, they receive is of a higher standard than many  pensioners have. Borstal some form of national service might be a good idea, ( OF COURSE FRIDAY AFTERNOON OFF FOR PRAYERS) how did we win a war ?,
99% of people do NOT know why the proposal for Short Sharp Shock ( a type of hard Borstal Detention) failed. I bet no one on this site can tell me why, Have a guess. I worked with the MOJ at a senior level for many years. I know the truth, not the bile spouted by the MSM. I dont mean whistleblowing or breaching OSA its just simple hands-on knowledge.
There was a double standard with Borstals, a class thing, example: If 2 boys in Borstal had a pillow fight, they are "disruptive thugs"! If 2 boys at Eton or Oxbridge had a pillow fight - they are "skylarking around".

Michael Rolls

« Reply #52 on: Aug 18, 2019, 09:41:29 AM »
99% of people do NOT know why the proposal for Short Sharp Shock ( a type of hard Borstal Detention) failed. I bet no one on this site can tell me why, Have a guess. I worked with the MOJ at a senior level for many years. I know the truth, not the bile spouted by the MSM. I dont mean whistleblowing or breaching OSA its just simple hands-on knowledge.
There was a double standard with Borstals, a class thing, example: If 2 boys in Borstal had a pillow fight, they are "disruptive thugs"! If 2 boys at Eton or Oxbridge had a pillow fight - they are "skylarking around".
Not totally fair, surely - the two in Borstal are there because they committed crimes. The others haven't
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #53 on: Aug 18, 2019, 11:36:28 AM »
Sorry Mike I was being flippant. Taking the mater to the presumed level, the way this country has gone.

Actually you're correct Macca.

There is a very strict code that a CCTV operator has to follow in order to eliminate any claims such as harassment / victimisation etc.

As regards the so-called failure of the 'short sharp shock' there is no way of knowing the actual effectiveness.

My parents told me about borstal & it made me think twice about what I did, but I don't show up as a success of the deterrent effect of that system, in any statistics.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

crabbyob

« Reply #54 on: Aug 18, 2019, 06:30:01 PM »
when we were twelve or thirteen about a dozen of us used to pal about, but everwhere we went nthe local copper would turn up and move us on, non of us had ever been in trouble, or even visited the police station, then one day when we were playing football in the street [everyone played football in the street] but a wayward shot broke a window, the copper appeared and my mate held his hands up he had broke the window, he had to appear in court, so we all agreed we would share whatever the cost... he got 18 months borstal, i kid you not, when he got back out i had moved on to other things, but he came out a criminal, he could steal cars he could open windows, and when i last heard of him he was in Barlinnie Prison in Glasgow. now you can say what you want and think what you want, but that could have been any one of those boys, and in Scotland every boy played football in the street...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #55 on: Aug 18, 2019, 07:13:53 PM »
18 months for accidentally breaking a window with a ball? Seems a bit extreme..must've got the magistrate on a gouty day.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

ronyork

« Reply #56 on: Aug 18, 2019, 07:21:53 PM »
But did he have other problems, and would you have known?u

Scrumpy

« Reply #57 on: Aug 18, 2019, 07:25:31 PM »
As a kid we played rounders in the Road.. I doubt that the mothers would have allowed us to if they knew we might go down for 18 months had we broken a window..
The coppers never moved us on for doing this they might have said “ Behave yourselves.. You lot”.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #58 on: Aug 18, 2019, 07:33:21 PM »
Unfortunately I have not been a guest of a penal institution.
However, back in the late 80's I was offered the chance to go into what was known at the time as Strangeways Prison, Manchester after the riots and whilst the rebuilding of it was under way. All of the prisoners had been moved out.

It was to be honest a complete and utter mess.

I was shown round the wings on various landings. It was an opportunity to see the cells as they were and some that had already been changed/redeveloped.

The trashed cells were about 12' long and 8' wide. In each one there was a bunk bed and a single bed. No water for washing nor a toilet - seems that the three prisoners had to use a bucket which they emptied in the morning. A single light in the ceiling. What surprised me was that there was a vary small alcove next to the door which I was told used to have a candle in before electricity was put in.

Astonished when I saw the revamped cells. They were knocking through to the next one to provide a cell twice as big. It had running hot and cold water as well as a flushing toilet. It was to house two prisoners who had a desk, TV etc. Even the beds had a proper mattress.

Obviously this was the old part of the prison, they were building an extension to be able to handle the number of prisoners as before.

My opinion. Prisons are not supposed to be nice places. What I saw of the old and new, it's no wonder some prisoners don't want to leave and live in the outside world.

What went wrong? Lack of number of prison officers I was told. The riots were allowed to get out of hand because of the lack of numbers to quell it.

Providing soft accommodation will not deal with inmates. A hard way of life few if any luxuries as in the past should have continued. And there are plenty of ex forces personnel that would be able to maintain discipline and order.