Author Topic: We could all join Dad's Army.  (Read 327 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: We could all join Dad's Army.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2019, 06:27:28 AM »
Apparently it is the ninth successive year that numbers have fallen. Given the way troops are being treated, I can’t say that I am surprised
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2019, 07:52:37 AM »
Apparently it is the ninth successive year that numbers have fallen. Given the way troops are being treated, I can’t say that I am surprised
Mike

I'm not surprised either.

Pop a round through some Muslim bomber, who's just blown your mate's legs off, scrote's head in the Iraqi or Afghan desert & come home to a few years in jail.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2019, 08:27:38 AM »
Yet another veteran is now being threatened with court proceedings over the Troubles 50 years on.
Mike

Ashy

« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2019, 11:25:36 AM »
If only politicians could get over this constant need to virtue-signal. We've seen recently several examples of how they wriggle when they are accused of wrongdoings.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2019, 07:54:32 PM »
I'm not surprised either.

Pop a round through some Muslim bomber, who's just blown your mate's legs off, scrote's head in the Iraqi or Afghan desert & come home to a few years in jail.

You are absolutely right.

If you are on active service the option should be open to put down an enemy or perceived one in any way and not have the worry about being Court Martialled for it.
Grief, the training is second to none and the fact of putting someone down comes as natural as writing a letter home. It's the job. That is why the British Army in the past was so feared by the rest of the world - you just don't take prisoners and you certainly don't wait to see if you get shot first before taking action (as happened in N Ireland)

Silly as it may be, but when on a 'war games' footing, you were told that anything you did in contravention to the civilian/criminal law had no place.
You would be answerable to the military.

I remember once on my first 'weekend warrior' adventure sat in the cab of a Bedford personnel carrier asking if I had to adhere to red traffic lights, infact anything of a driving nature. The Sgt. told me to 'put my F****** foot down and don't stop for no one.

Brilliant I would have lost my licence with the antics I did on my way to Aldershot that night if I had have been in my car! Red light - what red light - used to feel sorry for my mate stood up in the cab with his head out of the cab roof hanging on to his Brengun for grim death.

Macca

« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2019, 09:58:10 AM »
Northern Ireland was not a "war footing". it was the British Army policing British people on British soil. The main strength of the British Army was their adherence to the Rule of Law, as best they could. They were "policing" not soldiering.
"Don't argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

crabbyob

« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2019, 10:34:54 AM »
a well controlled answer Macca, it is a very emotional subject for some of us
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Macca

« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2019, 10:55:59 AM »
a well controlled answer Macca, it is a very emotional subject for some of us

As an Irishman, who moved to England many years ago, I have high regard for the British Army - the best in the world. No one could "police" a situation operating to the Rule of Law as good as the British Army. Of course, there are misjudgements, errors, even deliberate criminal acts, but perfection is not the objective, morally or lawfully. I have strongly opposed the constant pursuit of former British Military who served in Ni and acted "outside" the prescribed regulations, procedures and law. Especially when the Loyalist paramilitary and the IRA have been given a get out of jail free card. A peace agreement is exactly that. It sickens me that politicians, particularly of the left, seek to hold the veterans to account.
"Don't argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

crabbyob

« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2019, 11:25:54 AM »
 ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2019, 03:31:36 PM »
As an Irishman, who moved to England many years ago, I have high regard for the British Army - the best in the world. No one could "police" a situation operating to the Rule of Law as good as the British Army. Of course, there are misjudgements, errors, even deliberate criminal acts, but perfection is not the objective, morally or lawfully. I have strongly opposed the constant pursuit of former British Military who served in Ni and acted "outside" the prescribed regulations, procedures and law. Especially when the Loyalist paramilitary and the IRA have been given a get out of jail free card. A peace agreement is exactly that. It sickens me that politicians, particularly of the left, seek to hold the veterans to account.
Well said
Mike

Johned

« Reply #11 on: Aug 19, 2019, 07:48:00 PM »
Arguably, dare I venture to timidly suggest that the NI troubles were tantamount to Civil War?  It seems to me a section of the populace were trying to overthrow the lawful state. 

crabbyob

« Reply #12 on: Aug 20, 2019, 09:51:42 AM »
i remember hearing an old priest during a riot when the 'troubles' were in full swing
he shouted to the catholic crowd "we will never beat them with bullets, so get home and make more babies and we will beat them at the Ballot Box"... a very wise man... even the Muslims are following his advice