Author Topic: Loss of a pet.  (Read 1356 times)

brian54

Loss of a pet.
« on: Aug 17, 2019, 07:25:22 AM »
https://www.helpguide.org/articles/grief/coping-with-losing-a-pet.htm

I think the best way to get over the loss of a pet is to get another pet.
The rescue places never refuse you a dog if you can keep him properly.
I am sure Andy and Peter knew what had happened and they took some of the grief as well.

Raven

Re: Loss of a pet.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2019, 08:13:17 AM »
It can help with some people yes, but others need time to grieve first. I know your in the first group and I'm in the second. But hey Ho that's just the way we're wired...…….Differently. ;)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2019, 08:21:49 AM »
T agree with Raven. No way will I have another pet - no other dog could replace Fleur and given my age a young dog would almost certainly outlive me, and if I outlive an old dog I couldn't bear to go through again what I went through with losing Fleur
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

mick607

« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2019, 11:17:09 AM »
Michael we have had many cats over the years but three years ago lost our last one, too many times my wife or both of us took our cats to the vets  not to bring them home. We decided we wouldn't go through that again & instead now we support a few small animal charities.Still love cats though !

brian54

« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2019, 11:41:26 AM »
Michael we have had many cats over the years but three years ago lost our last one, too many times my wife or both of us took our cats to the vets  not to bring them home. We decided we wouldn't go through that again & instead now we support a few small animal charities.Still love cats though !

On several occasions I have heard people say never again. About 5 days later another pet appears.

Alex22

« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2019, 11:46:11 AM »
On several occasions I have heard people say never again. About 5 days later another pet appears.
I think those people are in the minority Brian.  People need time to grieve over the loss of a brother, sister, mum, dad, any family member really and that includes cats and dogs 

mick607

« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2019, 11:51:30 AM »

Hopefully moving into a flat soon.
Pets prohibited.

Cassandra

« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2019, 02:13:27 PM »
I went for 15 years after losing my little soul mate and adviser in '98. My present dog's past owner was a Horse breeder with a 'ranch' for a home near Hickstead. His daughters had bought my new companion for their Grandmother as a puppy and who'd soon after suffered a bad stroke. As an animal lover he was appalled when he went to his mother's home to find the 'carers' had imprisoned this little dog in a tea-chest in the garden and only discovered her after following the sound of whimperings from the wooden chest.

I gave him advice prior to a private prosecution on another matter and we ended up at the 'Pondersosa' where he had a number of horse enclosures. Galloping around with these magnificent creatures was this tiny dog of five months, covered in sawdust chippings. He told me the story I related above and persuaded me to 'have her for the weekend, see how you go'? Of course she never went back and has attached herself to me like a permanent appendage ever since. She cleaned up beautifully after all her knots were clipped and a few weeks later a huge pedigree certificate arrived. She's a real Tomboy, nickname 'nutter dot com' and is so similar to the little chap I'd had previously for 17 years.

I dread the day we are parted and it could be close run thing, I'm 74 and she's 7 next January, I have made arrangements for her care should I precede her demise.

She's perched now on the back of the 'captain's chair' - (her favourite) as I write this, quietly snoring!
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2019, 02:17:42 PM »
Lovely tale
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

brian54

« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2019, 02:26:23 PM »
Our family is a big network of dog lovers.
Sadly a dog dies every few weeks on the laws of averages.
All of the dogs belong to the wider family.
If somebody dies a home is found within the wider family.
It may be in a different part of the country but a home is found.
No dog has ever gone to a rescue centre but the down side is they may finish up in a house where a dog has died only hours before.

brian54

« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2019, 07:56:57 PM »
I think those people are in the minority Brian.  People need time to grieve over the loss of a brother, sister, mum, dad, any family member really and that includes cats and dogs
We tend to think our previous dogs are looking down and initially thinking we have got other dogs quick but our other departed dogs then say that we are missing them very badly and a new dog has to take their place. They also say look what those dogs are doing for that family. I am sure they will all forgive us.
I think we will all meet again one day and we will be throwing the stars around for them to fetch.

mick607

« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2019, 08:03:41 PM »

Ode Iron

« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2019, 08:09:14 PM »
The loss of an animal is awful..i still think about all my cats in Nottm all those years ago.
And the loss of two golden labs here in Eire.
They were Husband and Wife...when Bounty passed away..lucy sat on his grave for 2 weeks and lost her woof...she didn't bark for over 3 years!
Masks are muzzles

mick607

« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2019, 08:16:55 PM »
We had two cats who were inseperable. When one passed the other one pined that much & passed a few months later like she had no will to live anymore.Gus went first,

mick607

« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2019, 08:18:15 PM »
Followed by Tiger.