Author Topic: Pension age  (Read 1596 times)

brian54

Re: Pension age
« Reply #15 on: Aug 18, 2019, 06:41:04 PM »
You're all heart Brian. NOT.
Surely she did not want help from a fool.

brian54

« Reply #16 on: Aug 18, 2019, 06:48:47 PM »
Mike, Yes I gave examples in the construction industry. but as you say their are very many other occupations that maybe  not seen as physically demanding, but are as one gets on in years.
I know several builders who just did jobs for cash. They dont pay tax or save for a pension. They then moan they are poor when they retire.

sparky

« Reply #17 on: Aug 18, 2019, 07:39:43 PM »

There is nothing wrong with expecting males to work for up to 60 years - in fact many do!

As I said, IMO it depends entirely how you earn your living, I suppose if you are sat on your arse all day  you could, but very few people doing heavy manual jobs could cope until 75.

mick607

« Reply #18 on: Aug 18, 2019, 07:50:54 PM »

There is nothing wrong with expecting males to work for up to 60 years - in fact many do!

As I said, IMO it depends entirely how you earn your living, I suppose if you are sat on your arse all day  you could, but very few people doing heavy manual jobs could cope until 75.
Also many with failing eyesight could struggle.
How many of us have 20/20 vision in later life ?

brian54

« Reply #19 on: Aug 18, 2019, 07:57:23 PM »

What about people like coach drivers. They may be sitting down for 80 percent of the time but they have to load heavy cases on to the coach. A lorry driver said a lot can not carry on after 60 because of sight problems.

sparky

« Reply #20 on: Aug 19, 2019, 06:47:39 AM »
Spot on Brian, and any driver becomes less aware and able, as they age ,hence the call for further tests after 70,

Michael Rolls

« Reply #21 on: Aug 19, 2019, 07:18:30 AM »
Also many with failing eyesight could struggle.
How many of us have 20/20 vision in later life ?
Well, I'm 82, have my eyes tested twice a year and have 20/20 in the right one. OTOH, the left one is pretty useless, but I effectively have monocular vision, so it doesn't have any deleterious effect upon my overall vision - but the worry that if anything should happen to the right eye is why I have the tests twice a year - oh, and the left eye has nothing to do with my age - it has been like that for well over 30 years.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #22 on: Aug 19, 2019, 07:25:15 AM »
Of course, another important aspect of driving is reaction time. I regularly test mine, using

https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

Have been doing so for some years and there has (so far) been no deterioration on my reaction time over the period, which averages, over 10 tests, most recently taken this morning, at 0.29 of a second.
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #23 on: Aug 19, 2019, 07:29:19 AM »
As well as my normal reaction time test, there is a rather amusing site which tries to guess one's age based on your reaction time - apparently I am 43 years old!
Mike

https://www.justpark.com/creative/reaction-time-test/

sparky

« Reply #24 on: Aug 19, 2019, 07:59:12 AM »
Mike, what am I doing conversing  with old geezers on a pensioners forum, just tried the test, and I am aged 34, I'm going out on the pull later. ;D ;D ;D

Michael Rolls

« Reply #25 on: Aug 19, 2019, 08:04:42 AM »
This thread has got me thinking (always dangerous!) Checking the Highway Code on vehicle stopping distances, quite apart from the fact that many claim it is out of date over braking distances for modern cars, I was intrigued at its calculation of thinking, or reaction time. It claims that reaction time at 70 mph means that the vehicle will travel 76 feet before you react and start to brake. 70 mph is 103 feet per second, so to travel 76 feet represents a reaction tome of 0.74 of a second, which is pretty slow - I'm not complaining - better to be safe than sorry, and if they based their figures on folk who react more quickly than that it could engender a sense of false security in those who can't.
Have any of you ever had your reaction times tested?

Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #26 on: Aug 19, 2019, 08:05:02 AM »
Mike, what am I doing conversing  with old geezers on a pensioners forum, just tried the test, and I am aged 34, I'm going out on the pull later. ;D ;D ;D
Well done! Mind you, the lassies may prefer the more mature person! ;D ;D ;D
Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #27 on: Aug 19, 2019, 08:15:39 AM »

Good luck with that! Can't wait til you let us know what the young women say when you tell them you're 34. 😳👍🏽
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #28 on: Aug 19, 2019, 08:19:04 AM »

Good luck with that! Can't wait til you let us know what the young women say when you tell them you're 34. 😳👍🏽
;D ;D ;D ;D
Mike

sparky

« Reply #29 on: Aug 19, 2019, 08:30:00 AM »
GrannyMac, I think I might give the game away when I ask her  for step by step instructions on what to do next,,,,,,,,,,,well my memory is a bit iffy. ;D ;D ;D