Author Topic: Car MOT Test  (Read 1380 times)

Ashy

Car MOT Test
« on: Aug 18, 2019, 01:19:38 PM »
I am advised by HM Government that cars over 40 years old do not need an MOT certificate, which is brilliant. If I keep my little car for another 35 years I won't have to keep on taking it to be tested. I shall certainly look forward to that.

mick607

Re: Car MOT Test
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2019, 04:59:57 PM »
I am advised by HM Government that cars over 40 years old do not need an MOT certificate, which is brilliant. If I keep my little car for another 35 years I won't have to keep on taking it to be tested. I shall certainly look forward to that.
Don't count on it. Instead when a car reaches 40 years of age it will have to be scrapped instead. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2019, 07:16:01 PM »
It should be when the owner reaches 40 years.

Macca

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2019, 07:22:26 PM »
Great dry humour LOL
"Don't argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

StephenM123

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2019, 07:26:35 PM »
This may make Brian keep his Jazzes longer rather than getting a new one every year to go for a coffee in Spoon's!

Cassandra

« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2019, 08:06:48 PM »
In generality impossible to be safe in total surely? A 1979 Aston Martin could be a cherished, coveted example more perfect than the day it was created. Alternatively a Datsun from the same year an air-tex chassied death trap. I know many Veteran car restorers who see the MOT as a necessary check annually on their Vehicles road worthiness, even it travels less than a 1,000 miles a year.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2019, 08:42:51 PM »
When it was announced, the Minister - can't remember who it was - said that there were very few cars of that age on the roads and that they were mostly cherished classics (I paraphrase). OK, we don't get nearly as much traffic up here as further south, but although I have seen quite a few classics of that sort of age and older, a 40 year old car would be from 1979 (an earlier, of course). That would be a T or V plate and I can't remember seeing anything that old - but I haven't been specifically looking. I'll keep my eyes open for such vehicles for a while. Overall, however, I really don't see the point - if there are so few as the Minister alleged, they can't be much of a strain on the system - so why change? 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2019, 08:49:33 PM »
Thank you Macca :) :) :) :) :)
I think it is sound advice to have a car tested by a professional (assuming that you are not competent yourself of course) even if it is 40 years old or more. So, if I reach the age when I don't have to have my car tested, I probably will do anyway. Of course I shall be well over 100 by then.  :) :) :) :)

Hugh

« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2019, 05:13:45 PM »
In 40 years time it will be clean electric cars only on the road. Wonder if the MOT will be cheaper.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2019, 03:31:07 PM »
I was in Perth yesterday and must have seen 200 or so cars. Obviously I didn't see the number plates of anything like all of them, but I did see two with T in their number. On the other hand, as one was T333 and the other T6JOY and both looked pretty new, they were clearly personalised numbers - didn't see any 'proper' T nor V plates, so, as I said before - why the change? I am sure that there will be the odd idiot with a don't care attitude who will drive a 40+ year old deathtrap - the very sort of vehicle the MOT is intended to stop.
Mike

Ashy

« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2019, 03:36:59 PM »
Not sure but I don't expect 40+ years old motor cars would pass the emissions requirements. 

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2019, 03:53:08 PM »
Not sure but I don't expect 40+ years old motor cars would pass the emissions requirements.
Probably not, come to think of it - so perhaps that was behind the idea?
Mike

mick607

« Reply #12 on: Aug 21, 2019, 08:06:39 PM »
Fifty odd years ago as a young apprentice our garage conducted MOT tests & you would be surprised how many three year old cars came in for their first test at three years & were in a dreadful condition. Most had never had the bonnet opened in that time.I read a report a while back issued by a large police force saying most accidents including fatalities were usually the result of poor driving not unroadworty vehicles.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Aug 21, 2019, 08:28:35 PM »
Well that is logical, isn't it. As someone once posted on another forum - every road accident results from somebody making a mistake. I guess that is a slight exaggeration - but only very slight. Not many accidents are caused, for example, a vehicle catching fire, or brakes suddenly giving up, and compared to just driver error the percentage must be infinitesimal.
Mike

Johned

« Reply #14 on: Aug 24, 2019, 09:47:41 PM »
I keep seeing car transporter lorries passing through our town fully laden with 02, 03 and 04 reg cars, many in apparently good condition but are victims of the government sponsored scrappage scheme.  To my mind, many of them appear to be too good to scrap and still have a lot of life left in them which when MOT'd would be of advantage to motorists who have not a lot of cash to invest in a new car.