Author Topic: Container Living in UK  (Read 4432 times)

Scrumpy

Re: Container Living in UK
« Reply #15 on: Aug 23, 2019, 09:42:16 AM »

Some of the people seeking help with accommodation like the idea of a nice big house in Kensington..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

crabbyob

« Reply #16 on: Aug 23, 2019, 09:43:49 AM »

Some of the people seeking help with accommodation like the idea of a nice big house in Kensington..
so are unhappy with a wee bothy on St Kilda
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

GrannyMac

« Reply #17 on: Aug 23, 2019, 10:38:49 AM »
I saw a program on the allocation of social housing and one talking head said "only about 10% go to immigrants"

Why 10%? Why any?

No immigrant should be offered social housing while there are British born homeless people.

Anyone who becomes a British citizen is entitled to the same benefits as a person born here.

There are some areas of the UK with empty homes, if none of the locals want them, they are advertised for anyone to apply. They don't tend to be nice semis with gardens in leafy suburbs though.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

sparky

« Reply #18 on: Aug 23, 2019, 10:41:40 AM »
Biglouis, Can you imagine being a Brit struggling to get a place to live, and seeing an immigrant given  a place, ahead of you, the steam would be coming out of the ears.

mick607

« Reply #19 on: Aug 23, 2019, 03:22:09 PM »

There are some areas of the UK with empty homes, if none of the locals want them, they are advertised for anyone to apply. They don't tend to be nice semis with gardens in leafy suburbs though.
Where are these ?

GrannyMac

« Reply #20 on: Aug 23, 2019, 04:42:37 PM »
Sheffield council readvertise any properties that have had no bids on them. They are advertised as 'First Come First Served'. At the moment there are 22 properties ranging from bedsits to 3 bedroomed maisonettes on offer, plus a couple of bungalows.  Some are limited to older people.  As long as someone is eligible, ie has the right to council accommodation through residency status, and doesn't have outstanding rent arrears they can apply.  Its not in a local authorities interest to have empty properties.

I'm sure other social housing providers in some areas will have similar.

https://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/content/Information/FirstComeFirstServed

R. Gervais

GrannyMac

« Reply #21 on: Aug 23, 2019, 11:10:37 PM »
Here's the Homefinder site. Local authorities and housing associations advertising for tenants. North of England, Newcastle, Preston, Sheffield etc.  All sorts of social housing, some fairly cheap rents!

https://homefinderuk.org/my-cbl/property-search

R. Gervais

Ashy

« Reply #22 on: Aug 24, 2019, 09:27:06 AM »
If Mrs Akubaker is complaining that the converted container she is living in is not fit for animals, she should get one that is.

Diasi

« Reply #23 on: Aug 24, 2019, 09:29:17 AM »
If Mrs Akubaker is complaining that the converted container she is living in is not fit for animals, she should get one that is.

Or she could just upsticks & move to a better country

;D ;D ;D

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Ashy

« Reply #24 on: Aug 24, 2019, 10:01:59 AM »
Share toilet and bath.
Looks like a sink estate.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #25 on: Aug 24, 2019, 01:09:56 PM »
I see we are back (with a few exceptions) with then "everybody deserves what the get as long as it's not me" view of life.

These containers may work short-term - weeks not months - but they are hot in the summer and cold in the winter and they are not proper housing.  I understood the woman had worked for years and the children certainly seemed to be well mannered and bright.   Chaotic living is not good for anyone and this is what we are making some families endure.  The longest tenancy most can get - if the landlord will accept people on Universal Credit - is 6 months and when that six-months is up it is month to month.

There were a lot of problems after the war and if we were building the "prefabricated" housing that is available now then people would, indeed, be jumping at them.  Similarly, there was a shortage of housing for service families after the war.  So many of you speak with no knowledge but ignore the one person who shows she does have more current knowledge - Granny Mac. 

You also speak about housing after the war as if it didn't affect you but you still think you know how ungrateful people are.  They are not ungrateful.  I do know. In one year, when I was 3/4 and my brother 8/9, we had four moves - that was the most but other years were not always that much better.  We also had to live in "hostels" twice because of the shortage of Quarters.  Our life-style was well above that of those in "temporary" accommodation now.  We did not have to walk the streets to find somewhere we could get a cheap meal, there was a dining room.  But there was nowhere for my mother to cook so we could have a family (and only family) meal.  We had two rooms but that isn't home, especially not when trying to look after a small child with chicken-pox.  My parents, like these poor souls, had no idea when a house would become vacant.  Each day my brother had to travel to a school he hoped he would stay in.  I don't know what number school this was but I had something like 11 changes in schooling, three at Secondary level, and I know he will have had as many before he, like me, went to boarding school at 13.  We were lucky that this was available to us to give us some stability.

My parents wanted a proper home for their family and I have never thought that unreasonable.  It is not unreasonable for anyone to want to their country to run its economy so that allows them to provide for their family.  Chaotic lives are not a good thing either for children or adults.  Heaping vituperative remarks on to people already coping with the difficulties of the right-wing economics in 2019 is cruel.  Yes, we have slipped to 7th largest economy, yes we are only 27th when it comes to GDP per head now, but still this government looks after the very wealthy and lets the poorest go hang.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

minniemouse

« Reply #26 on: Aug 24, 2019, 04:40:01 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Years ago slum kids lived in worse conditions.  The difference is they were able to play out all day.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

GrannyMac

« Reply #27 on: Aug 24, 2019, 06:16:59 PM »
Dead right Minnie. So few cars that everyone played in the street.

R. Gervais

Goingtoseed

« Reply #28 on: Aug 24, 2019, 07:13:09 PM »

Anyone who becomes a British citizen is entitled to the same benefits as a person born here.

Wrong. There are some homes that if they were developed to modern day standards would be worth many hundred's of thousands of pounds.
https://www.actiononemptyhomes.org/

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=empty%20houses%20uk&qs=n&form=QBIR&sp=-1&pq=empty%20houses%20uk&sc=4-15&sk=&cvid=629AA352386F4D6B873F31294EAA9B51

GrannyMac

« Reply #29 on: Aug 24, 2019, 07:41:57 PM »
Wrong. There are some homes that if they were developed to modern day standards would be worth many hundred's of thousands of pounds.
https://www.actiononemptyhomes.org/

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=empty%20houses%20uk&qs=n&form=QBIR&sp=-1&pq=empty%20houses%20uk&sc=4-15&sk=&cvid=629AA352386F4D6B873F31294EAA9B51

I wasn't wrong, I was referring to vacant social housing, and posted links showing the adverts.   If you look at what is advertised in the links I posted you will see they are mainly flats, bedsits and maisonettes.

These empty homes in your links are privately owned, and often just left to rot.  Quite different, although councils are trying to bring them back into use.

R. Gervais