Author Topic: Boris and Free TV Licences.  (Read 1986 times)

strongbow

Re: Boris and Free TV Licences.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2020, 08:26:48 AM »
Boris has inherited so much stuff from the failed Teresa May that he is swamped by the things she
avoided to stay at PM.

The Free TV licence was started by Labour because the UK basic state pension was so bad, it ain't
much better now, at £168.00 when it should be £220.00 according to the National Pensioners Convention.

Why steal money of pensioners to feed the fat cats of the BBC , all earning eyewatering amounts
of cash,  in order to make the poor even poorer?  It makes no sense at all

klondike

« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2020, 08:47:19 AM »
But he keeps quiet about the fact that it was his lot that craftily off  loaded government responsibility for funding  free licences  for the elderly onto the BBC I believe in 2015.
It was part of the charter renewal and licencing charge agreement I think. The key word there being agreement. The BBC signed up to it.

It's a bit like a telecoms provider upping the monthly charge mid contract. If they do that you can cancel penalty free. It's what the government should do - terminate the charter and the licence completely from when they propose to start charging.
So long and thanks for all the fish

biglouis

« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2020, 08:55:50 AM »
I cancelled my direct debit for the lisence when I hit my 75th birthday and I sure aint a gonna renew it.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

mick607

« Reply #18 on: Mar 13, 2020, 09:01:09 AM »
Has anymore been said about de-criminalising the the offence of not having a tv license lately ?

crabbyob

« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2020, 10:40:12 AM »
if they decriminalise it no bugger will pay  ;D ;D ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

klondike

« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2020, 10:46:55 AM »
Have you watched any of those bailiff and sheriff programs on the big number TV channels?

Diasi

« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2020, 10:58:05 AM »
Boris has inherited so much stuff from the failed Teresa May that he is swamped by the things she
avoided to stay at PM.

The Free TV licence was started by Labour because the UK basic state pension was so bad, it ain't
much better now, at £168.00 when it should be £220.00 according to the National Pensioners Convention.

Why steal money of pensioners to feed the fat cats of the BBC , all earning eyewatering amounts
of cash,  in order to make the poor even poorer?  It makes no sense at all

A very well said first post about what a crock he inherited.

Welcome to the forum & keep em coming. :)
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

sparky

« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2020, 11:06:35 AM »
That was all pre-election crap spouted by Johnson, just like sorting out the care crisis, to get  pensioners on side, both now kicked into the long grass.
The licence annual cost ( if i'm forced to pay it ) along with the increase in my council tax received today, will totally  wipe out,  and the some, the increase to the already  miserly state pension,

Diasi

« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2020, 11:10:19 AM »

I cancelled my direct debit for the lisence when I hit my 75th birthday and I sure aint a gonna renew it.

Have you watched any of those bailiff and sheriff programs on the big number TV channels?

I always admire those who think they can beat the system.

A private company may well give up trying to enforce an unpaid bill if they deem it too expensive to pursue.

What'll happen with the BBC is anyone who doesn't pay will be taken to the County Court & if they still don't pay the bailiffs, who have limited powers, will be asked to collect the debt.

If they can't collect the debt it will be escalated to the High Court who will instruct a High Court Enforcement Officer to collect the debt.

By this time the £145 TV licence fee & costs will be over a £1,000 & if the HCEO can't collect the debt the BBC can have the non-payer declared bankrupt & the bankruptcy administrator will get the TV licence fee & costs from any bank accounts of other assets.

At this point in time I hope that Boris Johnson isn't wasting his time buggering about with the TV licence fee that we can all afford to pay.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2020, 11:14:42 AM »

Sorry I missed your post when I replied to one and got a page switch and didn't spot it til Diasi replied. Welcome to PF.

It's only a minority on the basic state pension that get that much. I missed out on the new deal and will get £159.58 because of some mysterious top ups but it says that the basic is £134.25.  I think that they work it out by putting a lot of small numbers in a hat and whetever gets pulled out for you is what you get.

Diasi

« Reply #25 on: Mar 13, 2020, 12:26:58 PM »
Sorry I missed your post when I replied to one and got a page switch and didn't spot it til Diasi replied. Welcome to PF.

It's only a minority on the basic state pension that get that much. I missed out on the new deal and will get £159.58 because of some mysterious top ups but it says that the basic is £134.25.  I think that they work it out by putting a lot of small numbers in a hat and whetever gets pulled out for you is what you get.

The basic old State Pension (for 45 years of NI contributions) is, as you say, £134.25p, while the new State Pension (for 35 years of NI contributions) is £175.20p.

Not bad, £40.95p per week more for 10 years fewer NI contributions.

I get £134.11p because I missed out on credited contributions as I didn't claim any benefits for the short period between retiring & starting as self-employed.

Anyway, it's not too hard, for those of us who don't get any freebies, to help to pay for the free licences by paying £157.50 out of our State Pension / Private pension for our own TV licence.

mick607

« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2020, 02:45:01 PM »
The basic old State Pension (for 45 years of NI contributions) is, as you say, £134.25p, while the new State Pension (for 35 years of NI contributions) is £175.20p.

Not bad, £40.95p per week more for 10 years fewer NI contributions.

I get £134.11p because I missed out on credited contributions as I didn't claim any benefits for the short period between retiring & starting as self-employed.

Anyway, it's not too hard, for those of us who don't get any freebies, to help to pay for the free licences by paying £157.50 out of our State Pension / Private pension for our own TV licence.
TUT TUT, you didn't take Brian's advice then  ;D ;D

klondike

« Reply #27 on: Mar 13, 2020, 04:24:56 PM »
Brian posts endlessly about private pensions not the state pension.

biglouis

« Reply #28 on: Mar 19, 2020, 02:27:53 AM »
An individual has to owe £5000 now before you can make them bankrupt and you have to be able to prove it.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-to-bankrupt-someone

Plus:-
The court fees to make someone bankrupt are:

• £990 petition deposit (for managing the bankruptcy)
  • £280 for court costs
  • If everyone over 75 refused to pay and stuck together they could create a lot of noise on social media and shame the whole corrupt rotten system.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Diasi

« Reply #29 on: Mar 19, 2020, 06:31:24 AM »
    An individual has to owe £5000 now before you can make them bankrupt and you have to be able to prove it.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-to-bankrupt-someone

Plus:-
    The court fees to make someone bankrupt are:

• £990 petition deposit (for managing the bankruptcy)
  • £280 for court costs
  • If everyone over 75 refused to pay and stuck together they could create a lot of noise on social media and shame the whole corrupt rotten system.
    [/l][/l]
  • Yes you're right, it's self-declared bankruptcy that can be any amount.
  • Make every day count, each day is precious.