Author Topic: Cricket  (Read 23805 times)

Cassandra

Re: Cricket
« Reply #75 on: Sep 08, 2019, 01:56:17 PM »
I wonder if there was a Redgrave or a Mills involved...Not a question Cass, just an idle musing.. ;D

Well, as my learned friend infers, I would say a bomb by any other name! :)
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #76 on: Sep 08, 2019, 04:29:22 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #77 on: Sep 08, 2019, 06:19:51 PM »
If I'm interpreting that properly, good for him!  ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #78 on: Sep 10, 2019, 04:25:46 AM »
So now he really is Sir Geoffrey! Boycott and Strauss both knighted in Theresa May’s resignation honours list
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #79 on: Sep 10, 2019, 11:11:27 AM »
If I'm interpreting that properly, good for him!  ;D

She was beautiful, stunningly vivacious in real life and we all envied him. It was 1965 a year or so before she met Roy Boulting I think and she was featured in a film about a cat at the time.

'We look before and after and pine for what is not
Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought' ...

Cassandra

« Reply #80 on: Sep 10, 2019, 11:21:11 AM »
So now he really is Sir Geoffrey! Boycott and Strauss both knighted in Theresa May’s resignation honours list
Mike

As I've posted in the other section I'm thrilled. Those close were more than hopeful it was 'likely' and the old lad will be very honoured I know, his country is very important to him. I'm looking forward to raising a glass with him and my pal at The Oval. Arise 'Sir' Geoffrey and God bless you ...

Also Andrew Strauss, a really pleasant and kind thoughtful man, who like you and me has suffered the worse thing in life! Personally I'd like to have seen Dickie Bird up there too, not too much to ask for an 86 year old legend I would have thought?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #81 on: Sep 10, 2019, 11:32:10 AM »
Ay, but as  our Dickie were renowned as a 'not-outer', could he be - horror of horrors  - a remainer?
Mike  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cassandra

« Reply #82 on: Sep 10, 2019, 01:53:18 PM »
Ay, but as  our Dickie were renowned as a 'not-outer', could he be - horror of horrors  - a remainer?
Mike  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'd rather you suggest that too him than me Mike, I know the answer! He once asked if a very young Graham Dilley (who had a special pair of very old scruffy flannels that were a superstitious talisman to him) was with me?

"Loooks like a bluddy painter and decorator e does"

And to my friend a Learned Red Coat Judge, following a quizzical squint;

"Is e wit you or from t'press"

When he found out he spent all afternoon apologising

"well lad tha never knows does thou"

Michael Rolls

« Reply #83 on: Sep 10, 2019, 02:03:14 PM »
I can just hear it! Like you, I am sad Dickie didn't get a mention so that the wretched woman could have actually done three right things!
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #84 on: Sep 10, 2019, 03:27:59 PM »
I can just hear it! Like you, I am sad Dickie didn't get a mention so that the wretched woman could have actually done three right things!
Mike
;D ;D ;D

Michael Rolls

« Reply #85 on: Sep 17, 2019, 09:35:27 AM »
Just watched a YouTube clip and it dawned on me - observant isn't exactly my middle name - that one day cricketers have had their names and numbers on their backs for quite a while - the clip I watched was a Flintoff one day hat-trick. Apart from the World Cup final, I haven't watched a one day match on TV since the days of the dear dead Sunday afternoon 40 overs affair - one day cricket played with the proper ball and in proper clothing! I still don't understand the idea of numbers as well as names - names, fair enough - quite helpful when I realise that, due to lack of decent coverage, there are quite a few players I find hard to recognise, whereas in the aforementioned Sunday afternoon matches, you got to see virtually every county player.
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #86 on: Sep 24, 2019, 06:25:54 AM »
Interesting party for New Zealand – Bairstow and Roy out, and uncapped Sibley, Crawley, and Mahmood . plus Pope with two Tests to his name, added. The frustrating thing about the lack of TV coverage is that I have never seen any of these four in action, so it is a matter of looking at their stats. Sibley, with twelve centuries in 65 first class matches and an average of 41.55 – and seemingly has improved over tha last couple of seasons – looks a pretty good bet. Crawley is only 21 years old with just 35 first class matches under his belt – three centuries and an average of 31.80 seems less of a stand-out – but as I say - never seen him play. Pope’s first class record is impressive – 30 first class matches, seven centuries and an average of 57.55 – although his two Tests weren’t a roaring success. Three innings, highest score of 28, average of 14 – but it’s early days and he is another 21 year old, so hopefully time is on his side. Now I think about it, I am sure that I watched the highlights of the series, but just about nothing has stuck in my memory! Must see of I have them recorded.
Mahmood, 22 years old and with just 16 first class matches to his name – 42 wickets at 28.90. Hasn’t done a lot of first class bowling – in those 16 matches he averages sending down 12.3 overs a match – Fred could send down that many before lunch!
And as a general comment – just two Tests. Scarcely a ‘series’ to my mind.
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #87 on: Nov 21, 2019, 08:20:11 AM »
Good start against NZ - 90 overs, England 241-4, sounds more like 'proper' Test cricket. Shame Root has failed again - out for 2.
Mike

zoony

« Reply #88 on: Nov 21, 2019, 11:43:07 AM »
  So nice to have a bit of cricket to listen to even if it is just highlights..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Cassandra

« Reply #89 on: Nov 21, 2019, 11:46:30 AM »
Pleased for Joe Denly, he has the right approach and he appeared to have been working on his tendency to play across the line a bit.