Author Topic: Solar panels  (Read 2588 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: Solar panels
« Reply #15 on: Sep 09, 2019, 09:02:53 PM »
Oh yes - that was a similar initiative
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Hugh

« Reply #16 on: Sep 10, 2019, 08:35:59 AM »
Solar panels never ever buy off a door salesmen you will pay through the nose. Go direct to a firm which I did years ago. Mine have paid off years ago. For best results you need a roof facing south to fit 16 panels. The best I could do was 7 facing east and 7 west but still well pleased with the results. The panels also act as a very good roof insulation.
Do not go down the FREE panels panel route.

biglouis

« Reply #17 on: Sep 11, 2019, 12:59:15 AM »
I installed a whole tribe of the little solar lights in my garden from Amazon. I was very please d with them because they have 3 settings:-
on all the time after dark
on dim and coming brighter with motion
off and coming on only with motion
I have the latter because I reckon its more of an unpleasant surprise if anyone comes sneaking around without an appointment.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2019, 05:41:11 AM »
Good thinking
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Cassandra

« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2019, 06:00:24 AM »
I installed a whole tribe of the little solar lights in my garden from Amazon. I was very please d with them because they have 3 settings:-
on all the time after dark
on dim and coming brighter with motion
off and coming on only with motion
I have the latter because I reckon its more of an unpleasant surprise if anyone comes sneaking around without an appointment.

Thanks for the info Louis I'll get some.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 2019, 06:20:26 AM »
Thanks for the info Louis I'll get some.

A lot depends on what is their intended purpose Cassandra, if you want them just as a garden feature, most of the decorative garden solar lights will do the job, such as this sort of light.

https://amzn.to/2maq2Wa

If you want it for security purposes you need to be getting lights with an output of sufficient lumens.

We have a mix of decorative solar lights & some brighter ones that clamp onto the conservatory guttering.

https://amzn.to/2lIMuFA

We have just one of these as a solar powered security light & it's virtually like a mains powered floodlight & lights up a large area without being annoyingly bright.

https://amzn.to/2kDqwUf

Anyway, Amazon (& other suppliers) have plenty of choices.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

prestbury

« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2019, 09:37:32 PM »
I have a few large solar panels fitted to my narrowboat. They are low light panels and providing 100% free electric from March until mid October with vastly reduced capacity during October to March (understandably). Had them 3 years now and they paid for themselves in 18 months, well worth the investment and saving on running the engine to charge the battery bank.

They have a working life of 25 years with progressive reduced capacity after 5 years.