Author Topic: Man told me that 4 cars can go through junction when lights have turned to red.  (Read 1300 times)

brian54

I stopped yesterday when the lights had turned red. When I got to the car park a man came up to me and said 4 cars can go through when the lights have turned red.
That was not the case when I passed my test just over 3 weeks after my 17th birthday in 1965. Can anybody tell me where this is stated in the highway code.

Michael Rolls

It's not - he is totally, utterly stupid if he tries to live by that idea and may well die by it. The phasing of lights is not consistent everywhere - at some sets that may be possible, but still very stupid. At others trying that on would almost certainly cause a crash or at the least near misses.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

Oh, and if you see him again, remind him that the boys in blue do NOT subscribe to his stupidity
Mike

brian54

Oh, and if you see him again, remind him that the boys in blue do NOT subscribe to his stupidity
Mike
I dont think the girls in blue subscribe to his stupidity either. My daughters who are nurses do not subscribe to stupid driving either. They wear blue as well.

Michael Rolls

Good point
Mike

Alfred

theres a lot of idiots about,.??don't listen to these people brian they will say the first thing that comes into their head,

Michael Rolls

Very true - I wonder why so many of them seem to make a bee-line for Brian?
Mike  ;D ;D

xetog

There is a dual carriageway not far from my house and there have been several fatal accidents.  It is due to the fact that it is not a cross roads, but a staggered cross meaning that there are numerus sets of lights in a short distance.  It seems that drivers look at the wrong set of lights and drive right through the red set nearest them and T bone someone entering lawfully from the side road.  Cameras have now been installed with big signs, but I still see cars and vans shooting through.

A few weeks ago there was one such crash where I join.  There appeared to be no casualties but two police cars were present and they were allowing the traffic to flow normally following the dictates of the traffic lights.  I was on red and waiting whilst the traffic from the right trickled past (there are 3 lanes) and then the lights turned green so the traffic from the right stopped and I moved forward.  As luck would have it, slowly because one of the damaged cars was slightly blocking my exit and as I poked my cars nose out into the carriageway a big white van came zooming past with the lights red against him.  I jammed on my brakes and could see that the lights for the staggered junction to my left were still green and he shot over those and away.  He had driven past two lanes of stationary cars so why it didn't click I don't know, but he clearly thought he was on green from the second set of lights.  The nearest policeman to me looked shocked and stood there for a second with his mouth open, looked at me and simply shook his head in disbelief.  When I returned a few minutes later they had closed the junction.

We have been here for 7 years and that is the second time someone jumping lights on that road has nearly caught me, the last time it was someone on their phone.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Diasi

I treat traffic lights as no more than an indication that it's my right to proceed into the junction - but only when I've checked that it's safe to do so.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

brian54

I treat traffic lights as no more than an indication that it's my right to proceed into the junction - but only when I've checked that it's safe to do so.

I do but it did not stop a drunk woman writing off my car. It was lucky my car was there as she could have hit about 6 pedestrians. Luckily Andy Dougal and myself were not injured as well.
A woman who was passing by heard drink driver and she hit me. The drunk driver was the other lady motorist with a baby in a safety seat. I did not take any action against the woman who hit me but I along with the other people was furious that she put her child, pedestrians, myself and dogs in such danger.

Scrumpy

A woman who was passing by heard drink driver and she hit me.

A woman passing by heard drink driver and she hit me..

What a wonderful comedy sketch that would make..   ;D
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Ashy

I don't hink we are getting the full story here.

StephenM123

I suspect it was an experimental audio assist traffic light that said "Don't look now I am about to change""! 😁

Sheila

There are some traffic lights near us and it's amazing how many drivers go through a red light.  I have to walk across the road quite often and am very careful but had a close shave once when a car drove at speed through the red light.