Author Topic: Food Allergies - What is Going On  (Read 685 times)

StephenM123

Food Allergies - What is Going On
« on: Sep 14, 2019, 01:57:52 PM »
I see that sadly another young person has died - this time as a result of chicken marinated in buttermilk.

Than in an associated article I read that 9% of children and teens in this country suffer from allergies compared to 2% in mainland Europe. So what is going on? There is a five or six year old with multiple allergies near us. What is noticeable is that his mother uses anti-bacterial wipes on everything and will not let him near cats and dogs as animals carry diseases. It makes me wonder if paranoid mothers are destroying children's natural immunity? At the same time there has been a huge rise in asthma. What are your thoughts?

Raven

Re: Food Allergies - What is Going On
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2019, 02:04:58 PM »
I heard a while back that Central Heating was responsible for some cases of asthma. When we were growing up our homes were not central heated, nor were we germ mad like the world is now. I think we built up a natural resistance to things and over fussing and over cleaning has taken that protection away.

Diasi

« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2019, 05:55:08 PM »
I see that sadly another young person has died - this time as a result of chicken marinated in buttermilk.

Than in an associated article I read that 9% of children and teens in this country suffer from allergies compared to 2% in mainland Europe. So what is going on? There is a five or six year old with multiple allergies near us. What is noticeable is that his mother uses anti-bacterial wipes on everything and will not let him near cats and dogs as animals carry diseases. It makes me wonder if paranoid mothers are destroying children's natural immunity? At the same time there has been a huge rise in asthma. What are your thoughts?

Chicken marinaded in buttermilk, yummy.

Tests have shown that introducing babies to allergy type foods, such as peanuts, at around 4 months old, can prevent food allergy in later life.

Presumably the foods are suitably blended into a liquid state.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2019, 03:37:14 PM »
I do believe - but have no proof - that the more 'antiseptic' our environment becomes, the lower becomes the resistance to infection of those growing up in it. Our forefathers - and foremothers - drank water which would probably lay us low - but even for them, sometimes the water was just too bad. a balancing act, I suppose
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

crabbyob

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2019, 03:42:32 PM »
i feel sorry for folks with allergies..
but if they are life threatening, why on earth would you eat out?
like the family that want peanuts barred on all flights so their daughter can go on jaunt abroad..
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2019, 04:12:04 PM »
Here are the eight most common food allergies.
Cow's Milk. An allergy to cow's milk is most often seen in babies and young children, especially when they have been exposed to cow's milk protein before they are six months old ( 5 , 6 ). ...
  • Eggs. ...
  • Tree Nuts. ...
  • Peanuts. ...
  • Shellfish. ...
  • Wheat. ...
  • Soy. ...
  • Fish.
  • Hey, let's ban EVERYTHING! Veronica was allergic to wasp venom - nearly died about 25 years ago from anaphylactic shock, so let's ban wasps. Oh, some folk are allergic to cats, dogs, horses, you name it - some poor soul somewhere will be allergic to it. I am not belittling allergies - some, as we see only too often, are genuinely life-threatening - but we can't run everybody's life around trying to prevent allergic reactions. I remember the case of the young girl and the totally disproportionate response of heer parents. To be brutally frank, if she had such an allergy that even folk eating peanuts (or anything else, of course) would trigger an attack - well, sorry, but don't travel.  Mike
  • Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
    The older I get, the better I was!

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2019, 07:53:40 PM »

There are two questions I would want answered to help assess this.  Firstly, how do we test for allergies in comparison to mainland Europe?  The second, did the mother you report on start acting in that way before or after she knew of her child's allergies?
    The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

crabbyob

« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2019, 09:55:00 AM »
    i think allergies grew as we tightened up on hygene
    i'm not advocating making a pie out of puddle water and mud then tasting it
    but we did, i have no known allergies
    i remember catching a younger cousin feeding her little brother earth-worms as spaghetti
    the fellow died last week aged about 72..[no doubt worm poisoning  ;D ]
    “Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2019, 02:31:03 PM »
      I was interested to learn of the correlation between children born by Caesarean section and the increase in allergies. Apparently, babies born by section get most of their 'microbiome' (gut bacteria etc) from the hospital environment rather than from the mother, as happens with a normal birth.
     These days, C-secs are more common than they've ever been, 1 in 4, and babies born this way are more likely to suffer from asthma and autoimmune disorders. Interesting, no?
    "Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2019, 03:51:32 PM »
    it really is Zoon, i know a couple of guys born by the cut..... both are drama queens, and whatever your ailment they can trump it...
    a high percentage of asians have a lactose intolerance, so cant have milk or anything milky
    can you even IMAGINE NOT having milk chocolate??