Author Topic: how times have changed.  (Read 1867 times)

Alfred

how times have changed.
« on: Sep 17, 2019, 09:00:34 AM »
Much like many of you as children then , it was a special treat when the gas man called to empty the gas meter,

where I lived then he came every so often and  some times it was on a Friday, then we lived well as it meant fish & chips paid for by the spare meter money, and the fish and chips usually wrapped up in grease proof paper then wrapped again in old news papers,

the rag and bone man called once a blue moon and if you had enough rags you got a gold fish in a bowl the poor creature didn't last long but that was how it was then,

even the dustmen came once a week and they took as much as they could emptying dustbins, even a van called round from a near by piggery to collect the waste food which many people left out for the pigs,

I had the job of setting up the fire wood in the grate for mum to light the fire once going it was a case of the odd shovel of coal added to keep the fire going, lovely on a winters night even if you had to sit almost on top of the fire simply to feel the heat,

of course I could go on but ill leave that for others to tell their story,

Michael Rolls

Re: how times have changed.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2019, 09:14:07 AM »
There was another problem with open fires, or at least there was in our house. The two downstairs rooms both had open fires, both in line with the door, so no matter how you tried to draught-proof the door, the fiercer the fire, the stronger the draught!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

crabbyob

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2019, 03:58:07 PM »
i remember my son returned from the local funfair with a goldfish in a clear plastic bag...
so i went out and dug a hole in the middle of our back garden put a sheet of plastic across the hole and filled it with the hose-pipe... it lasted over five years, i used to put a ball on the water in the winter, then someone stole the ball and the fish died [when the pond froze over]
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Ashy

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2019, 05:43:46 PM »
The shilling was my favourite coin, lovely size and  designs.

Butterpuff

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2019, 05:51:04 PM »
I remember the old tramp koncking on doors where we lived....everyone gave him something to eat....In the winter when it snowed we would make slides in the school playground, and that's where we'd go at night ..to play on the slides.  now the janitor shovels the snow away, I think it's a health and safety thing ???

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2019, 07:04:55 PM »
HSE - don't get me started - the 'no-risk, everyone must win, nobody must be offended' society into which we are turning appals me
Mike

mick607

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2019, 08:18:32 PM »
HSE - don't get me started - the 'no-risk, everyone must win, nobody must be offended' society into which we are turning appals me
Mike
Nah Michael, you're getting confused with the "Snowflake" society.  ;D ;D

Flying bomb

« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2019, 08:32:19 PM »

Making smoke bombs with celluloid inflammable 35mm film
at school.
If the Buck stops here how can the Doe go all the way ?

Albert.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2019, 11:07:00 PM »
I’d forgotten that one!
Mike

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2019, 12:32:05 AM »
I never knew about that one! Sounds poisonous..I never got further than stink-bombs. Which have a lot of childhood hilarity involved in the memory of.. ;D ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2019, 07:38:29 AM »
I don't think I had a bought cardigan or jumper til I was a teenager. Mothers knitted, at least mine did - a lot.  She also sewed quite a few of my clothes, and she embroidered. Sadly I have no talent for, or interest in any of those skills.  Fortunately they are no longer necessary.  😊

When I could get my nose out of a book, I made great newspaper twists for the fire, I chopped kindling, and I polished brass til it gleamed. Simpler times.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Bee

« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2019, 07:47:54 AM »
My mother knitted all my jumpers and cardigans and I did the same for my first three grandaughters, by the time the fourth grandaughter came along,(14 years later) I had gone off knitting. ;D
The only way is up....

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2019, 08:45:01 AM »
with three of us to clothe and precious little money, mum seemed to be forever knitting of an evening
Mike

Raven

« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2019, 11:56:05 AM »
I still do a lot of knitting of jumpers, I like to do it while listening to an audio book.

firenze

« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2019, 01:08:17 PM »
Knitting!  No one does that anymore! I had a knitting yarn shop mid 70s, along with Crochet it was a popular way to dress the youngies then.  I did a runner out of the business when buying knitwear became cheap.  Must say I did enjoy it - on a Saturday p.m. It Was meeting time and my shop was full! A lot to do with women escaping Sport on t.v. ;D
P.s.to that except for Raven!

Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.