Author Topic: Why Is Aldi Cheap?  (Read 17038 times)

Hugh

Re: Why Is Aldi Cheap?
« Reply #60 on: Sep 24, 2019, 12:11:41 PM »
Many people would think of me being on the bread line, driving a cheap Roomster Skoda and shopping at Aldi Far from it having a Navel, State and my late wife NHS Pension (50%). and I own my home and have no out standing debts. My out goings far less than my income. My car gets me to the golf club and shopping trips so it covers my need. When ever going for equipment its quality every time.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #61 on: Sep 24, 2019, 12:15:13 PM »
Many people would think of me being on the bread line, driving a cheap Roomster Skoda and shopping at Aldi Far from it having a Navel, State and my late wife NHS Pension (50%). and I own my home and have no out standing debts. My out goings far less than my income. My car gets me to the golf club and shopping trips so it covers my need. When ever going for equipment its quality every time.
Good for you - I am getting a bit irritated at the blatant snobbery some of our fellow members are displaying,
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

xetog

« Reply #62 on: Sep 24, 2019, 12:22:54 PM »
We do our major shop at Aldi leaving the odds and end you cannot get there to our local ASDA, although even they seem to have less of a choice these days.  We are attempting to move to a small town where they do not have any big super warehouses but do have a small Sainsbury's, Co-op and Iceland.  We just happened to be talking shopping with an estate agent showing us around and he mentioned that they were building an Aldi just a short distance from our latest viewing and said that the whole town was excited about it.  If we get the place (our 3rd bid in the locality) we will be very pleased.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #63 on: Sep 24, 2019, 12:31:42 PM »
Good for you - hope you get the house
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Hugh

« Reply #64 on: Sep 24, 2019, 12:45:09 PM »
Best of luck Mike

Butterpuff

« Reply #65 on: Sep 24, 2019, 03:02:12 PM »
The really wealthy, as opposed to the pretend wealthy, have always shopped for bargains & unless you see them getting out of their Bentley, you'd never know they were wealthy as they don't feel the need to broadcast it.
well said Diasi...being wealthy doesn't have to mean being a snob

GrannyMac

« Reply #66 on: Sep 24, 2019, 03:26:23 PM »
well said Diasi...being wealthy doesn't have to mean being a snob

I always think of Harry Enfield's character 'much richer than yow' when people boast about their money and look down on others simply because they have less.

Diasi is right about the really wealthy v the pretend.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

mick607

« Reply #67 on: Sep 24, 2019, 04:03:35 PM »
Certainly not a snob here, I just don't like Aldi or Lidl, full stop.We all have different ideas what we like ortherwise shopping would be boring.I do a bit of internet shopping(not grocery shopping) others don't, cannot see any problem there.

Alex22

« Reply #68 on: Sep 24, 2019, 04:12:35 PM »
Certainly not a snob here, I just don't like Aldi or Lidl, full stop.We all have different ideas what we like ortherwise shopping would be boring.I do a bit of internet shopping(not grocery shopping) others don't, cannot see any problem there.
Mick can you give a reason why you don't like Aldi or Lidl  ?   Have you actually shopped at Aldi  ? 
I do most of my shopping at Aldi now, for a start I like the fact 100% of their meat is British.  Items I can't get there, for example Cravendale milk, I get from Morrisons or the Asda.    What i like about Lidl is every couple of weeks they have a French week or a German week and it's good to try items I wouldn't normally be able to buy.

Hugh

« Reply #69 on: Sep 24, 2019, 05:10:59 PM »
When we did shop at Tesco we seem to walk for miles to get and find what we wanted. Aldi I am in and out in know time and never have to queue. They open a new till as soon as a queue is about to form.

mick607

« Reply #70 on: Sep 24, 2019, 06:23:44 PM »
Mick can you give a reason why you don't like Aldi or Lidl  ?   Have you actually shopped at Aldi  ? 
I do most of my shopping at Aldi now, for a start I like the fact 100% of their meat is British.  Items I can't get there, for example Cravendale milk, I get from Morrisons or the Asda.    What i like about Lidl is every couple of weeks they have a French week or a German week and it's good to try items I wouldn't normally be able to buy.
I finf  Aldi / Lidl a bit too cheap & chearfulm lots of unknown stuff of unknown quality & most importantly you could call me EUROPHOBIC.We beat em in two world wars & now allowing them to march down the high street welcoming them with open arms.Adolph must be laughing in hell.

EUROPHOBIC !

Ode Iron

« Reply #71 on: Sep 24, 2019, 07:27:35 PM »
Funny..since i started shopping in my teens( Bedsit Land.).. i shopped at the local Butcher for meat, still do - used to get big bones for the doggies and lites etc..for the moggies. Meat in plastic clingfilm don't appeal much..when i lived in Nottm i used Tesco, Sainsburys Co-Op, and Farmfoods and Iceland..mainly about taste for me. Lidl and Aldi bread is stink..as are the French sticks from most Supermarkets..belt stretchers i call 'em.Lidl ketchup is not bad and great for pasta and stews etc.. Name brand beans, same goes for Spaghetti and Ravioli. Toms are bog standard..but fresh ones lack taste these days anyroad..Marks or Aldi..are they forced?
Tesco ( weetabix and porridge) are fine. I roam between 4 or 5 for the things i like. Years ago Safeway was my fave..the continental counter was fab.Shopping for cheapness and value shopping are seperate things surely. On the subject of very rich folk..i know lots..especially through my line of past work..i have seen those 'Rigsby' purses come out of a millionaires pocket many a time.
And they do shop at Lidl and Aldi...how do you think they became loaded?..paying thru the nose for mung beans at Waitrose?..but when they throw a Dinner Party..the Caterers are brought in..and marquees etc..
My concern is food origin these days..a frozen steaklet type dinner sold here..came from 3 different countries.. and! my Butcher doe dripping with the jelly!
Masks are muzzles

GrannyMac

« Reply #72 on: Oct 08, 2019, 12:34:31 PM »
This is less about shopping at Lidl than about the abuse doled out to a family the  supermarket used in their ads in Ireland.   A couple with a small child.  Just because of pigmentation. 
https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/07/toddler-1-receives-death-threats-racists-lidl-10873887/
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

mick607

« Reply #73 on: Oct 08, 2019, 02:20:11 PM »
Multiculturalism neved worked or ever will.

Alex22

« Reply #74 on: Oct 08, 2019, 02:31:37 PM »
EUROPHOBIC !
;D ;D I'm just EUophobic.