Author Topic: Why Is Aldi Cheap?  (Read 17035 times)

StephenM123

Why Is Aldi Cheap?
« on: Sep 22, 2019, 08:21:06 AM »
Saw this article. Makes interesting reading. However, I have only used twice because of very poor customer service!

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/aldi-supermarket-hack-secret-shopping-2937450

xetog

Re: Why Is Aldi Cheap?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2019, 09:29:20 AM »
We shop in Aldi every week, we only go to another supermarket for the things we can't get in there, like our preferred yoghurt.  We have no problems with customer service.  The tills are fast (we like that) what is too fast for us to pack we simply put in the trolley and finish off packing at the ledge provided.  Staff have to do every job as the article says, but an automated system lets you know in advance if another till is being opened and any wait is usually short.  We have had to return one or two items and a refund or exchange has been quick and forthcoming without quibble.  So what is not to like?

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Butterpuff

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2019, 01:53:30 PM »
the nearest Aldi is 15 miles away, but I have used it a couple of times, the thing I didn't like was the way you're almost rushed through the checkout, and have to pack the items at the side , I was last in the queue and the checkout girl even left the checkout before I had all my shopping in the trolley. made me feel like....we've got your money...now p... off

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2019, 02:03:39 PM »
the nearest Aldi is 15 miles away, but I have used it a couple of times, the thing I didn't like was the way you're almost rushed through the checkout, and have to pack the items at the side , I was last in the queue and the checkout girl even left the checkout before I had all my shopping in the trolley. made me feel like....we've got your money...now p... off

Well stick to the big supermarkets.

You certainly won't be rushed in any of those as you listen to the woman in front of you & the checkout operator discussing her daughters wedding etc.

I like Aldi because an ice lolly is still an ice lolly when I get through the checkout.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Butterpuff

« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2019, 02:11:15 PM »
nothing worse than a melted ice lolly at the end of your shopping :'(

Diasi

« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2019, 02:19:33 PM »
nothing worse than a melted ice lolly at the end of your shopping :'(

I did once ask a checkout operator if there was any chance of getting out of the store while I could eat the ice lolly instead of drinking it.  ;D
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Butterpuff

« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2019, 02:26:33 PM »
always have a plastic cup and a straw handy just in case...I remember once when my O H and I were in tescos and the customer in front was having a good old chin wag with the checkout girl  even after her bags were packed ...she kept on talking, my hubby asked her if she would like a seat, she wasn't too happy

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2019, 02:40:16 PM »
always have a plastic cup and a straw handy just in case...I remember once when my O H and I were in tescos and the customer in front was having a good old chin wag with the checkout girl  even after her bags were packed ...she kept on talking, my hubby asked her if she would like a seat, she wasn't too happy

That's my kind of bloke, I'd have said the same. ;D

GrannyMac

« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2019, 02:46:20 PM »
We like Aldi & Lidl for the same reasons as xetog. Chuck stuff in the trolley and repack at leisure! My OH likes the speedy service, he's not a chatter.

We also use major supermarkets,  often Sainsburys for some branded items.

I did know their staff are better paid than in most supermarkets.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Alex22

« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2019, 03:54:10 PM »
I used to use Aldi years ago before they came to the UK.  In those days it was a bit like Kwiksave, everything was on the floor in cardboard boxes, but I could buy a passable English tea there   ;D   Now of course it's spread worldwide and is good value for money.  I prefer to put my items back in the trolley then pack into bags at my own pace.  My only complaint about Aldi is their fruit and vegetables don't seem to last as long.

Diasi

« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2019, 04:06:43 PM »
I used to use Aldi years ago before they came to the UK.  In those days it was a bit like Kwiksave, everything was on the floor in cardboard boxes, but I could buy a passable English tea there   ;D   Now of course it's spread worldwide and is good value for money.  I prefer to put my items back in the trolley then pack into bags at my own pace.  My only complaint about Aldi is their fruit and vegetables don't seem to last as long.

Our Aldi store was a bit down-market looking until a year ago when it had a complete refit.

Now it looks really good.

Raven

« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2019, 04:37:50 PM »
We don't even have an Aldi.  :(

mick607

« Reply #12 on: Sep 22, 2019, 04:44:16 PM »
I won't entertain Aldi or Lidl, unbranded
& unknown brands for a start & thier employment setup. I know a lad who got a job there & although promised a set number of hours a week he never got them.
They work the zero hour policy crap.

Diasi

« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2019, 04:48:36 PM »
I won't entertain Aldi or Lidl, unbranded
& unknown brands for a start & thier employment setup. I know a lad who got a job there & although promised a set number of hours a week he never got them.
They work the zero hour policy crap.

That's odd because the Aldi staff I've spoken to reckon it's the best paid shop work they've ever done.

Ode Iron

« Reply #14 on: Sep 22, 2019, 05:00:43 PM »
Agree 607..the cereals are only good for the birds!
Some of the cleaning stuff is good..but the bog paper is a no- no..it swells and doesn't break down in the septic tank. They go great guns here as they undercut all the rest. Tesco fear Brexit here..and the potential rise in prices.
Masks are muzzles