Author Topic: Why Is Aldi Cheap?  (Read 17034 times)

Goingtoseed

Re: Why Is Aldi Cheap?
« Reply #15 on: Sep 22, 2019, 06:13:10 PM »
Never used that type of place.
Land was set aside for a supermarket. Given that my town is fairly middle class and predominately (60%) are over 60 and own their own homes outright, we were expecting a Waitrose or even a Sainsburys. The developer put the land out for tender and guess who offered the most money? Lidl!!
Hardly anybody that lives here uses it. There is a frequent - every 10mins, bus from the next town (5 miles away) and at times it is like a football match with the number of people coming here because of the store and good bus service - it feels like we have been invaded! The bus service was intentionally put in place to cater for our elderly or those that didn't drive. You can't get on the bus sometimes because of the Lidl rabble!

Ironically when it was opened by the Mayor and myself in cutting the ribbon and were given a guided tour of the place by the Manager - never been back since.

Alex22

« Reply #16 on: Sep 22, 2019, 10:43:52 PM »
Don't knock it till you've tried it.
By the by, they do a delicious Tarte Tatin

zoony

« Reply #17 on: Sep 22, 2019, 10:58:07 PM »
Never used that type of place.
Land was set aside for a supermarket. Given that my town is fairly middle class and predominately (60%) are over 60 and own their own homes outright, we were expecting a Waitrose or even a Sainsburys. The developer put the land out for tender and guess who offered the most money? Lidl!!
Hardly anybody that lives here uses it. There is a frequent - every 10mins, bus from the next town (5 miles away) and at times it is like a football match with the number of people coming here because of the store and good bus service - it feels like we have been invaded! The bus service was intentionally put in place to cater for our elderly or those that didn't drive. You can't get on the bus sometimes because of the Lidl rabble!

Ironically when it was opened by the Mayor and myself in cutting the ribbon and were given a guided tour of the place by the Manager - never been back since.

"rabble" eh? What a snotty little place you live and seem to enjoy being a big fish in. To look down on folk because they shop at a discount supermarket is pathetic. The 'bus service' you speak of sounds excellent and the fact that it's so busy with paying customers is probably the only reason that it's economically viable.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #18 on: Sep 22, 2019, 11:26:03 PM »
Don't knock it till you've tried it.
By the by, they do a delicious Tarte Tatin

As I have said I have no urge to want to go there.

Diasi

« Reply #19 on: Sep 22, 2019, 11:29:05 PM »

"rabble" eh? What a snotty little place you live and seem to enjoy being a big fish in. To look down on folk because they shop at a discount supermarket is pathetic. The 'bus service' you speak of sounds excellent and the fact that it's so busy with paying customers is probably the only reason that it's economically viable.

I went into a Lidl store for the first time this week & I was pleasantly surprised.

The store was as equally fitted out as our nearest Waitrose store & the car park had plenty of Waitrose type cars, as does our local Aldi store.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #20 on: Sep 22, 2019, 11:30:21 PM »
The first person I knew who shopped in Lidl years ago was a doctor's wife.  The nearest supermarket to my son's is an Aldi.  Lots of detached bungalows nearby, and barn conversions, old farmhouses and million pound new builds within a fifteen minute radius.  Its usually busy, the vehicles outside suggest a whole range of savvy shoppers.

Well off people wouldn't bypass a shop with great wines and spirits, continental meats, and good cheese because its such good value for money, but jumped up snobs might. Someone might see them, shock horror! The caramelised onion and cheddar flan we had for lunch was courtesy of Lidl.

Rabble??

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Goingtoseed

« Reply #21 on: Sep 22, 2019, 11:41:53 PM »

Yes rabble! The people at the bus stop outside the store always seem to be similar to the people that used to go on the Jeremy Kyle show.
My beef regarding the bus service is that it was hard fought to get it in the first place. It was deemed necessary for the residents that needed it.
Now it's a case of having to walk to the bus stop before it reaches the store if you want to get on it. Not very convenient considering that the store was not built when the service was introduced.
I have heard all manner of complaints from the residents ranging from bad language being used, old people who are residents being made to stand up on the bus whilst the seats are occupied by children from out of town and mums with bags of shopping along with a buggy forcing their way on and demanding to use the seats that are set aside for the disabled.
It's not that the store is a problem but the people that come from out of town that are using it.
It is a shame as a Waitrose store would have been more beneficial to the local residents.

And it's not a 'snotty little place' as you have put it. The town is very proud of what it is and how it looks.
We even have an army of volunteer residents whose tasks are to keep the place looking good by repairing fences, painting the bus shelters, keeping the displays in the roundabouts in good order not forgetting weeding where the footpaths abut the road.

Only last week I spent a whole day and trimmed a hedge that surrounds a small car park as the bushes were overgrowing onto the footpath causing issues with mums and young children on the way to the local primary school. We all take care in our envoirment.     

Goingtoseed

« Reply #22 on: Sep 22, 2019, 11:44:47 PM »
The first person I knew who shopped in Lidl years ago was a doctor's wife.  The nearest supermarket to my son's is an Aldi.  Lots of detached bungalows nearby, and barn conversions, old farmhouses and million pound new builds within a fifteen minute radius.  Its usually busy, the vehicles outside suggest a whole range of savvy shoppers.

Well off people wouldn't bypass a shop with great wines and spirits, continental meats, and good cheese because its such good value for money, but jumped up snobs might. Someone might see them, shock horror! The caramelised onion and cheddar flan we had for lunch was courtesy of Lidl.

Rabble??

Just goes to show that some are not prepared to put up with such a store - very few local residents would entertain in using it. Most either get a bus or drive the 3 miles to Sainsburys or 7 miles to Waitrose.

Price isn't everything, most people look for quality and a name that they can trust.
As an example Waitrose is the only place where I can buy a proper black pudding (one that is cooked in skin not plastic) that was made in Bury Lancashire - 300+ miles away.

I would also doubt that Aldi or Lidl can provide quality single bean ground coffee in anyway similar to that in Waitrose.

Diasi

« Reply #23 on: Sep 22, 2019, 11:49:48 PM »

Only last week I spent a whole day and trimmed a hedge that surrounds a small car park as the bushes were overgrowing onto the footpath causing issues with mums and young children on the way to the local primary school. We all take care in our envoirment.   

Hope it doesn't affect your PIP if you get clocked doing it.

It wouldn't look very good, a local Tory councillor as a sinner on Saints & Sinners. ;D
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

zoony

« Reply #24 on: Sep 23, 2019, 12:03:03 AM »
 ;D ;D

cowboy wisdom.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #25 on: Sep 23, 2019, 12:07:01 AM »
Hope it doesn't affect your PIP if you get clocked doing it.

It wouldn't look very good, a local Tory councillor as a sinner on Saints & Sinners. ;D

No, it's not a problem. My two issues are not being able to walk very well. Standing and not moving is OK. The other surrounds the problems relating to my failing organs which are not affected by holding and moving a powered hedge cutter.
Thanks for raising that point but in my case what I was doing could not be seen to contradict why I receive that disability benefit.

Butterpuff

« Reply #26 on: Sep 23, 2019, 12:16:04 AM »
well done Zoony..there's an Aldi...or Lidle can't remember which..is opening near us shortly...and people can't wait ...It'll be a shock to Asda and Tesco

zoony

« Reply #27 on: Sep 23, 2019, 01:34:38 AM »
Thanks Butterpuff..I shop at Morrisons myself but objected to the unpleasantly superior attitude of the poster. Some people know everything but understand nothing.

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #28 on: Sep 23, 2019, 06:33:03 AM »
Thanks Butterpuff..I shop at Morrisons myself but objected to the unpleasantly superior attitude of the poster. Some people know everything but understand nothing.

I shop at Morrisons 80% & Aldi 20% & I sometimes see Morrisons staff in Aldi.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #29 on: Sep 23, 2019, 07:42:42 AM »
When Veronica was alive we shopped at Lidl almost exclusively. Can't understand the knocking posts on here - never had a single cause to complain in the five or six years we used the place - and they had a superb in-house bakery,  and their meat was fine, and I really appreciated the speedy check-out counters. Name brands are name brands no matter you buy them. I don't use it now simply because I can't be bothered to drive into Perth to shop. Use Tesco on line plus the little Co-op 2 miles away
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!