Author Topic: Why Is Aldi Cheap?  (Read 17042 times)

mick607

Re: Why Is Aldi Cheap?
« Reply #30 on: Sep 23, 2019, 08:38:52 AM »
Our local large Twsco sold a piece of land adjacent to their store to .............Aldi, only a few bother with Aldi when Tesco is far better.Aldi & Lidl always remind me of Kwik-Save, thankfully now gone, cheap & chearful that's all.

mick607

« Reply #31 on: Sep 23, 2019, 08:44:35 AM »

GrannyMac

« Reply #32 on: Sep 23, 2019, 09:11:53 AM »
Ha ha!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

GrannyMac

« Reply #33 on: Sep 23, 2019, 09:18:48 AM »
Just goes to show that some are not prepared to put up with such a store - very few local residents would entertain in using it. Most either get a bus or drive the 3 miles to Sainsburys or 7 miles to Waitrose.

Price isn't everything, most people look for quality and a name that they can trust.
As an example Waitrose is the only place where I can buy a proper black pudding (one that is cooked in skin not plastic) that was made in Bury Lancashire - 300+ miles away.

I would also doubt that Aldi or Lidl can provide quality single bean ground coffee in anyway similar to that in Waitrose.

I think you might be surprised what they sell. The middle aisles are great!  Apart from the food and general items, both Aldi and Lidl ring the changes.  Sometimes its garden equipment, or tools, or camping gear.  Aldi was selling ski wear last winter, and my granddaughter has had a couple of pairs of very good quality jodhpurs bought from Aldi. I don't suggest everyone could do a full shop there, we don't, but I'd seriously give it a go.   

R. Gervais

Goingtoseed

« Reply #34 on: Sep 23, 2019, 11:33:13 AM »
Thanks Butterpuff..I shop at Morrisons myself but objected to the unpleasantly superior attitude of the poster. Some people know everything but understand nothing.

Maybe I tell it as it is that you don't like?
The vast number of local residents would love nothing more than to see the store knocked down and re-sited where their customers actually live.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #35 on: Sep 23, 2019, 11:34:45 AM »

I think you might be surprised what they sell. The middle aisles are great!  Apart from the food and general items, both Aldi and Lidl ring the changes.  Sometimes its garden equipment, or tools, or camping gear.  Aldi was selling ski wear last winter, and my granddaughter has had a couple of pairs of very good quality jodhpurs bought from Aldi. I don't suggest everyone could do a full shop there, we don't, but I'd seriously give it a go.

And the quality is? Well known brand? How displayed?

Hugh

« Reply #36 on: Sep 23, 2019, 12:29:53 PM »
I have Tesco and Aldi near me and the service far superior at Aldi. Aldi far cheaper because they buy in bulk and basics only The odd item I cannot purchase there I get at Tesco which is a few minutes drive further on. 

Alex22

« Reply #37 on: Sep 23, 2019, 01:07:40 PM »
The brands are well known in Germany !  for example their Langnese ice cream is actually made by Unilever who make Magnum and Carte D'Or.  It pleases me to know that snobby shoppers at Waitrose are paying double for the same basic product.

GrannyMac

« Reply #38 on: Sep 23, 2019, 03:09:16 PM »

The quality is often as good or better than major supermarkets. There has been publicity about well known manufacturers producing goods under the Aldi label. Alex has mentioned a couple. The demographics of their customers are interesting too - the well off aren't daft! 

I also like the fact that they pay their staff more than their competitors from shopfloor assistants upwards. 

R. Gervais

GrannyMac

« Reply #39 on: Sep 23, 2019, 03:14:20 PM »
Maybe I tell it as it is that you don't like?
The vast number of local residents would love nothing more than to see the store knocked down and re-sited where their customers actually live.

I think they must have strange values, or they're shopping there on the quiet and daren't tell their judgemental neighbours!

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #40 on: Sep 23, 2019, 03:37:04 PM »
Shopping isn't rocket science, I buy the things I like that Aldi sell from Aldi & the things I like that Morrisons sell from Morrisons.

Simple as that.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Goingtoseed

« Reply #41 on: Sep 23, 2019, 04:31:37 PM »
I have Tesco and Aldi near me and the service far superior at Aldi. Aldi far cheaper because they buy in bulk and basics only The odd item I cannot purchase there I get at Tesco which is a few minutes drive further on.

I believe that 'basic' is the buzzword for the likes of Lidl & Aldi.
Neither do we shop at Tesco.
Even my wife who is the least 'snobby' person that I know would sooner buy a new bag at Sainsburys if all she had was a Tesco one in the car.

Bee

« Reply #42 on: Sep 23, 2019, 04:31:45 PM »
Shopping isn't rocket science, I buy the things I like that Aldi sell from Aldi & the things I like that Morrisons sell from Morrisons.

Simple as that.

I am the same Phil although with me it is Lidls, the nearest Aldi to me is about 15 miles and you need private transport which I no longer have..........Lidls is opposite Morrisons so it is no problem to shop there.......as a matter of fact I did a complete weeks shop in Lidls one week and although I have a staff discount card from Morrisons I still saved more at Lidls. ;D
The only way is up....

Goingtoseed

« Reply #43 on: Sep 23, 2019, 04:33:17 PM »

I think they must have strange values, or they're shopping there on the quiet and daren't tell their judgemental neighbours!

Far from it, a Facebook petition was recently circulated calling for the removal of Lidl.

Bee

« Reply #44 on: Sep 23, 2019, 04:36:20 PM »
Far from it, a Facebook petition was recently circulated calling for the removal of Lidl.

Remind me never to move to your town. ::) ::) ::)
The only way is up....