Author Topic: Why Is Aldi Cheap?  (Read 17031 times)

crabbyob

Re: Why Is Aldi Cheap?
« Reply #75 on: Oct 08, 2019, 02:40:30 PM »
great answer EUROSCEPTIC ...lol... no arguments on this forum [until U.P.spots it]
i think we are naturally tribal, i dont know why i drive past Lidll to go to tesco, i mainly use Morrisons, but prefer ASDA, but only go there when i need diesel...lol, because its that wee bit further away..
my only comment on both aldi and lidll is the queing, then when you get to the front they whiz your goods thru way too fast, then seem annoyed if you dont pack quickly enough for them... when i get the big sigh, i stop and ask if anything wrong...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Hugh

« Reply #76 on: Oct 08, 2019, 05:05:28 PM »
Apart from good quality food at a inexpensive price. No long queues and served very fast, the shopping goes straight in into your shopping trolley. Move then to shelves where you bag your goods at your own pace.

sarahbilly 1

« Reply #77 on: Oct 08, 2019, 06:13:54 PM »
only just seen this topic, my life goingtoseed, imagine that,?  more human beings in your area than all the mrs. buckets you seem to prefer. what a cheek, people shopping to feed themselves and their families. should be locked up in workhouses. bet they don't stick their little fingers out when drinking their tea, rabble indeed.

GrannyMac

« Reply #78 on: Oct 08, 2019, 08:13:48 PM »
Multiculturalism neved worked or ever will.

Lots of people in happy relationships and marriages don't have the same skin colour.  Those work.  That advert reflected a couple with a child. 

My friend is black, her husband is white. Her children's skin shades vary, as do her grandchildren's.  Two reflect my skin colour more than hers, and I'm very pale.  One is white blonde.  No trace of African visibly, and a totally English upbringing.  Works for them, and many like them.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

mick607

« Reply #79 on: Oct 08, 2019, 08:34:10 PM »
Not all.

stellamaris

« Reply #80 on: Oct 08, 2019, 09:48:35 PM »
I'm not the tiniest bit snobby about shopping and like a bargain, but I can't stand Aldi.  I have bought the odd jar of instant coffee [which is nice] when I have been in there with my daughter, who really likes the shop.   I like a little wander about Lidl, nice wide aisles and always stock up on their W5 washing up liquid and clear kitchen bin bags.  They also do some kids' lunchbox size peppers, tomatoes and the like. 

A lot of it depends on how much you like preparing food and the cooking experience.  I like everything easy with zero chance of it not turning out well.  Meat, plain frozen fish and tinned fish, sauces [tomato, bown, horseradish, mayonnaise etc], grapes, ready to eat spinach, asparagus soup, and other jars and cans all come from M & S.  I find they are best. 

It's Morrisons for yoghurts as they do the widest range of Longley Farm live yoghurts, also the best bananas.  Asda is very handy for all the rest as they have a rapid turnover of bread - I mainly eat Milk Roll, Danish, or crustless bread [light and no substance but it's what I like].  The middle aisles in Lidl have some good bargains for everything you didn't know you really needed and I have to make myself be picky about what I buy.  Aldi middle aisles don't tempt me.

Fortunately for me all these shops and many, many more are almost on top of each other, but I haven't found decent plums in any of them this year.   I live near a One Stop for filtered milk and a Heron shop by the bus stop where I can pick up the cheap stuff such as tinned mushy peas, Holland's potato and meat pies etc.

Iceland do big business around here and they do have quite a lot of interesting things, although they change them for something else very quickly.   In the local magistrates court lists, most of shoplifters are in court for stealing from Iceland.  So they must have a fair share of scummy customers.

I never, ever buy from the ubiquitous continental markets that pop up all the time - I don't fancy any of it, so I do turn up my nose at them.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

zoony

« Reply #81 on: Oct 08, 2019, 10:04:41 PM »
Lots of people in happy relationships and marriages don't have the same skin colour.  Those work.  That advert reflected a couple with a child. 

My friend is black, her husband is white. Her children's skin shades vary, as do her grandchildren's.  Two reflect my skin colour more than hers, and I'm very pale.  One is white blonde.  No trace of African visibly, and a totally English upbringing.  Works for them, and many like them.

Quite right Mac, and it's been working for many couples for many years. Some people acquaint mixed relationships with pregnant teenagers seduced and abandoned by men of a different race and there's lots of that goes on but mixed marriages are a different thing and are like any other marriage, some work some don't.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Hugh

« Reply #82 on: Oct 09, 2019, 11:35:33 AM »
I go to Aldi because I get in and out with every thing I need without having to search for it. Can not stand Tesco who keep moving products around. Shopping at Aldi for me got nothing to do with it being cheap. 

crabbyob

« Reply #83 on: Oct 10, 2019, 02:43:27 AM »
too true Zoony, and the pendulum swings two ways
have you ever noticed how many Pakistanis have blue eyes
they blame Hannibal
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Sheila

« Reply #84 on: Oct 10, 2019, 06:47:01 AM »
Like Stellamaris we buy Aldi instant coffee.  We used to buy Nescafe Gold until they changed it.  We went to Aldi yesterday to stock up on coffee and spent over £60!  Oh well, the Marlborough wine was very nice.  The raspberry trifles are very good too.  Oh and the white chocolate.  And the chilli crisps.  Oh dear, we usually eat quite healthily.  Maybe we should reconsider Aldi!

Scrumpy

« Reply #85 on: Oct 10, 2019, 08:55:41 AM »

I don't have an Aldi shop nearby so I've never shopped at them.. The same with Asda.. However when reports come out for best buys these names beat a lot of the other shops..
 I use my local Co-op for daily papers and things that I need quickly.. I find their fruit and veg are not fresh enough.  I do like M&S and Waitrose..
Tesco is good for offers on cleaning stuff.. We do the rounds my mate and I..
We treat ourselves to fried bread  ,probably twice a year, from Tesco cafe.. Yummy.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Hugh

« Reply #86 on: Oct 10, 2019, 09:16:00 AM »
Aldi with customer service so fast parking no problem, with a space always pretty close to the entrance. Most customers are in and out within 30 minutes. Every thing so easy to find from dish cloths to tea towel  and kitchen ware all can be found in there own location. Tesco lost me as a customer because they keep moving things around. Coffee in one location but moved to the other end of the store on your next visit. This happens on many basic items. Just why they do it I do not know but extremely annoying.

Sheila

« Reply #87 on: Oct 10, 2019, 09:33:16 AM »
I think they move things round so that we have to search and then may buy more.  Our Asda keeps moving things and I find that it has the opposite effect.  If things are not where we expect them to be we often find when we get home that we forgot to keep looking.  It is most annoying and the way our Asda is set out is not logical.

I quite like the unpredictability of Aldi though.  You never quite know what you are going to find next.  I suppose I have different expectations in the two stores.  A friend pointed out that our extension wire had seen better days.  We went to Aldi and there was a reel of extension wire!  Our ironing board is a bit of an antique and my husband spotted a good one there yesterday.

GrannyMac

« Reply #88 on: Oct 10, 2019, 09:39:46 AM »
My granddaughter got some jodhpurs from Aldi, as good quality as her previous ones, but far cheaper.  My son is fussy, but he's become a convert, especially for their meats, wines and spirits. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #89 on: Oct 10, 2019, 10:04:43 AM »
Dont Fortnum&Masons deliver to Fantasy Island?