Author Topic: My first job  (Read 5125 times)

mick607

Re: My first job
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2019, 11:46:29 PM »
A dying art these days OI..

sparky

« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2019, 07:34:55 AM »
GOF. I also went to Walls factory one day in about the 60s to repair a machine, having seen the state of the place, hygiene wise, I vowed to never buy any Walls product again.

Ode Iron

« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2019, 07:12:00 PM »
Mick..it wasn't i use the forks to drape a wet canvas..weighed a ton..flatbeds were finished after the '79 strike..rigids and boxes came in then.
Masks are muzzles

luvchocolate

« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2019, 04:12:33 PM »
First job in a department store aged 15 in 1967 earned £3.7s 6d a week working 8.45 to 6
5 1/2 days a week.
Stayed in retail until present day 67 years old.

Floydian

« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2019, 04:50:53 PM »
I started work in 1970 at 15, on six guineas a week. After I'd done my week "in hand", my mam let me keep my first wage packet (but don't tell yer dad!) and if memory serves i bought my first pair of 501's, they were sixty five shilling.....
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Jacqueline

« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2019, 05:42:35 PM »
I had a Saturday job in Woolworths when I was 15 (stayed on an extra year at Secretarial College) must have been 1964.  I was paid 17/6 for the day. Those were the days when Woolys had assistants behind counters  There was a tea bar at the end of the store where the boys congregated, you can imagine my friend and I loved working there.

My first full time job was in the London Transport Offices at Baker Street, I was paid £5 a week that was 1965. I travelled up on the Metropolitan line train with all the city gents in their bowler hats.  I didn't like working in an office as much as the shop, and after a couple of years, much to mothers disgust, I worked in Freeman Hardy and Willis shoe shop.  I did go back to office work eventually in the Express Dairy offices which I loved too, lots of nice young milkmen!

sparky

« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2019, 07:07:24 PM »
Started work In 1944, age 14 ,  at a electrical contractors near Liverpool street station £1 a week.

prestbury

« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2019, 11:39:13 PM »
First job in a department store aged 15 in 1967 earned £3.7s 6d a week working 8.45 to 6
5 1/2 days a week.
Stayed in retail until present day 67 years old.

That seems lowly paid.

I started as an apprentice electrician in 1966 on £6 a week, hours 9-5. After 18 months had a pay rise of 10s, what a night out that was.

Walter

« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2019, 11:32:36 AM »
I started my first job in 1964 working in a Cotton Mill loading and unloading the wagons for £3. 18s a week 9am to 5 pm, at the age of 16 years went onto shift work 6am to 2pm one week, following week 2pm to 10pm taught to weave average take home was £13 a week

At 18 started my apprenticeship to learn how to repair the looms and keep them running earning roughly £20 a week, just finished my apprenticeship when the mills started to close down, that is when I headed South to find work best decision I ever made.   
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

Cassandra

« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2019, 02:59:54 PM »

Started as a 'Pupil' at a Chambers in Lincoln Inns Fields late 60's. They forgot to pay me for the first two months!
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2019, 03:03:33 PM »
Started as a 'Pupil' at a Chambers in Lincoln Inns Fields late 60's. They forgot to pay me for the first two months!

But at least you learned how to sue them.  ;D ;D ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Yellowbird

« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2019, 06:29:04 PM »
First job started nursing , we were very young and known as The Yellow coats for obvious reasons. I got £2.50 a week. Didnt last I think I was too young for the experience, went on to be a Dental Nurse
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Cassandra

« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2019, 11:30:53 PM »
But at least you learned how to sue them.  ;D ;D ;D

:)
Yes, the old boy who then was head of Chambers and very much a figurehead in those days asked to see me when the matter came to light. I deliberately didn't turn up for a few days claiming poverty and therefore unable to fund my rail fare in.

Here, dear boy he regaled in a Dickensian tone "Golden lads and girls all must, as chimney-sweepers come to dust."

Despite the implied poetic humour to unravel the mistake of being overlooked, there was also a quite cynical side to his response. The knives were out for him anyway and the news of my 'Victorian remuneration' hit the circuit running. Three weeks later another Chambers made an approach and I was gone - very different from today. Now many are expected to attend unpaid as 'internships'?

Diasi

« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2019, 06:25:39 AM »
Three weeks later another Chambers made an approach and I was gone - very different from today. Now many are expected to attend unpaid as 'internships'?

Yes, it seems to be a Millennial trend to legitimise things by giving them an acceptable name.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Cassandra

« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2019, 02:05:09 PM »
Yes, it seems to be a Millennial trend to legitimise things by giving them an acceptable name.

Diasi for quite a while afterwards I was referred to as 'Sweep' and only after a stinging address in my defence at a Chambers Meeting by it's 'Star' member was the term dropped. Quite how neo Liberals like John Mortimer would have dealt with 'internships' today as a 'de facto' entity is difficult to imagine somehow?