Author Topic: A Christmas Carol.  (Read 1787 times)

zoony

Re: A Christmas Carol.
« Reply #30 on: Oct 06, 2019, 01:00:42 AM »
  I can't disagree but perhaps they're more to be pitied than envied. Our treats were rare and special and memorable and theirs aren't so much. I imagine that there's as much disappointment about Christmas gifts these days but perhaps for very different reasons.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #31 on: Oct 06, 2019, 07:12:44 AM »
My Christmas stocking was always exciting. Even the satsuma and shiny penny. I remember getting a Cinderella watch, complete in glass (plastic) slipper. Magical indeed.  And of course books.  💖

Christmas concerts at school, Away in a Manger, and all the other traditional carols.  The small church linked to my older grandchildrens' school has an afternoon 'crib' service for the children.  The vicar really engages them and reminds them of the real meaning. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #32 on: Oct 06, 2019, 11:16:17 AM »

[The vicar really engages them and reminds them of the real meaning. ]

perhaps we should all visit then Granny... ;D

“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Goingtoseed

« Reply #33 on: Oct 06, 2019, 02:45:43 PM »
My Christmas stocking was always exciting. Even the satsuma and shiny penny. I remember getting a Cinderella watch, complete in glass (plastic) slipper. Magical indeed.  And of course books.  💖

Christmas concerts at school, Away in a Manger, and all the other traditional carols.  The small church linked to my older grandchildrens' school has an afternoon 'crib' service for the children.  The vicar really engages them and reminds them of the real meaning.

I organise a civic event every year with choirs from the three local primary schools and orchestra from the local boys grammar school.
It is hosted by both the Baptist and Cof E ministers, the Mayor and the Mayoress and the residents generally fill our largest community hall to the tune of 600 people.

It takes me along with some helpers nearly a week before to sort out the lighting requirements as well as the full PA system for both the stage and the front of house.

I've yet to see a dry eye at the end of the performance.

The demand for tickets has always outstripped the availability.