Author Topic: Ham on the bone,  (Read 479 times)

Alfred

Ham on the bone,
« on: Oct 02, 2019, 03:29:01 PM »
in the past you could go into many pubs ,and order as well as see ham on the bone,

country pubs in particular served many meals long before todays modern pubs now do, as well as tea or coffee , but back then ordering and then eating a sandwich carved from the bone was mouth watering and satisfying,

Q; have you either liked, or eaten a sandwich carved off the bone .
 what else do you remember of pubs in the past and what else did they    serve,.     

crabbyob

Re: Ham on the bone,
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2019, 03:50:10 PM »
yes Cooplands were doing hand-carved ham, very nice
i buy Morrisons gammon joint, its shrunk wrapped in plastic
its three pounds summat but it too is very nice Alfred

“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

mick607

« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2019, 04:08:02 PM »
Iceland stores do a pack of ham trimmings for under two pound. Beautiful,

xetog

« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2019, 04:43:15 PM »
As a young engineer in the construction industry it was my job to visit sites and give advice on any technical issues.  What a laugh.  It was me who learned as I had nothing much to offer them, but I was not arrogant and learned quickly where the real expertise lie, so most of them took me under their wing, sometimes showing me things that had gone wrong and why and on occasion taking me down the pub at lunchtime miles away from my base and pouring me on a train half way through the afternoon with the promise that someone would drive my car back to the office when the shift finished.  One such site was a huge Victorian hospital that was gradually being modernised.  The company had been working there for years.  On my first day at this site the foreman, a guy named Ron who ultimately became a huge friend showed me around and suggested I go and buy a roll for lunch and come back to eat with the crew.  His suggestion was that I go out of the site gate, turn left and knock at the door of number 12 and they would provide me with my lunch for a small consideration.  Wary of a practical joke I tentatively knocked on the door of No12 which was opened by a kindly, motherly figure who invited me in.  "It's Ham today OK?"  I nodded and asked the price.  She told me not to worry and proceeded to cut two huge slices of ham, as thick as my thumb from the bone on her kitchen table.  She put each slice in a soft buttered roll and put them in a bag and I began to worry as I had little money on me (my wage at that time was less than £20 per week).  She saw my face and told me the price,1/6p.  I remember my relief to this day over 50 years later.  I paid and scuttled off with my loot back to the hut where the workmen ate and sat with a big tin mug of builders tea and the most wonderful ham rolls I have ever tasted.  I was engineer for the site for 2 years and visited weekly.  I made sure that I was always there in time for No12 and over the period had some of the best lunches ever together with some of the best company.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

mick607

« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2019, 04:49:15 PM »
What about the English mustard,Ham rolls without English mustard ought to be a capital offence.   ;D ;D ;D

xetog

« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2019, 04:55:08 PM »
mick.  I truly don't remember being offered Mustard, but would agree that I would demand it as an essential now.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Bee

« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2019, 06:32:37 PM »
Iceland stores do a pack of ham trimmings for under two pound. Beautiful,

In my opinion Iceland is a very good store to shop from, I often have an online delivery from them. :)
The only way is up....

Bee

« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2019, 06:34:11 PM »
What about the English mustard,Ham rolls without English mustard ought to be a capital offence.   ;D ;D ;D

Oh! dear, I love ham from on the bone sandwiches, but mustard is a no no for me.yuk
The only way is up....

Traveller

« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2019, 06:49:32 PM »
IMO, Ham with English mustard is a capital offence.  Much too hot.  I prefer a Dijon mustard.
You'll have had your tea.

crabbyob

« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2019, 10:50:39 AM »
it is the only time i use mustard.... on boiled ham
ham off the bone?... i dont think so...
its like tomato without salt and black pepper, its taste is sadly weakened
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

mick607

« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2019, 01:22:59 PM »
it is the only time i use mustard.... on boiled ham
ham off the bone?... i dont think so...
its like tomato without salt and black pepper, its taste is sadly weakened
Each to their own.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2019, 05:00:01 PM »
1959, a pal and I were cycling in Wales, staying at Youth Hostels. A hot day, on the road from Newtown to Aberystwyth, which back then seemed to see a motor vehicle about every 10 miles - scarcely busy. Stopped at an old coaching inn (wonder it it is still there?) sweaty and weary. Mine host, seeing our parlous state, asked what we would like which turned out to be ham and eggs - I think the chickens had to be moved over and the ham was sliced off a side of ham damn near as big as we were (I'm 6 foot and back then about 13 stone) hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen (which could be seen from the bar). Rescued from imminent collapse, we took our second beers outside. Across the road was a stream, so shoes and socks off, dabbling our feet in the icy water - bliss!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!