Author Topic: Smacking  (Read 5299 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: Smacking
« Reply #45 on: Oct 04, 2019, 10:14:03 PM »
Michael, upon  returning to the forum after some hrs. I refer you to my "waffled" reply to your questions at.  1-01pm and 1-19 pm.      your accusation of "waffle" and no reply, from me,  was posted at 2-54 pm. ?
I read your replies before posting. You didn’t answer the question, which is why I used the word ‘waffle’. By not using physical chastisement, Vernon would have carried on biting, Bronwyn’s cat would have been killed. I can’t see anything in what you have written that would have prevented those outcomes. Sweet reason does not always work, but you seem to be in denial of that simple fact.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #46 on: Oct 04, 2019, 10:29:51 PM »
Children should NEVER be scalded.Turn the kettle off.

A bit tricky when you need boiling water.

My children, who got a clout when they misbehaved, never got scalded or burnt because they never messed with any kitchen appliances or kettles.

They knew from an early age that I had no intention of arranging the kitchen activities around them.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

zoony

« Reply #47 on: Oct 04, 2019, 10:58:28 PM »
I don't think there's a 'right' way to parent but there are a lot of wrong ones..Unfortunately often only learned from, or not, by experience. I'm not sure that giving children power over adults is the way to go about it though. Children can be cunning and are blissfully unaware, or not, of the repercussions of a spiteful accusation..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Ode Iron

« Reply #48 on: Oct 05, 2019, 02:55:36 AM »
Can you still smack 'yer lips?
Masks are muzzles

Michael Rolls

« Reply #49 on: Oct 05, 2019, 07:37:43 AM »
I don't think there's a 'right' way to parent but there are a lot of wrong ones..Unfortunately often only learned from, or not, by experience. I'm not sure that giving children power over adults is the way to go about it though. Children can be cunning and are blissfully unaware, or not, of the repercussions of a spiteful accusation..
Again, fair comment, despite the protestations of idealists who can't see beyond their own rose tinted views - which includes the Scottish parliament
Mike

sarahbilly 1

« Reply #50 on: Oct 05, 2019, 11:15:56 AM »
Michael, I know its a bit tiresome to keep returning to our discussion, however what did you not understand when I said, I we [family] have dealt with our young children who have done the things you describe? including biting, [ just incase you think I should have itemized offences] I also gave my opinion of harm to the cat  mention,  as I have said to others, you prefer your method, I prefer my, "idealist rose tinted views".                                                                                                                                                                                zoony,  I think you are quite right, we do learn from experience, my own experience  as a child, and carried on as a parent myself, came from my parents, I was not smacked [which I contest can lead to hitting] I was educated, the violence I experienced came from big "galutes" of teachers, via a bamboo cane or leather strap, thank goodness that has been abolished, [ my opinion]   

Michael Rolls

« Reply #51 on: Oct 05, 2019, 11:23:50 AM »
sarahbilly
I agree with you that physical chastisement is to be avoided where possible - I just don't agree that it is always unavoidable which is what I interpret what you are saying to be the case - but I think we have both stated our views to exhaustion, yes?
Mike

sarahbilly 1

« Reply #52 on: Oct 05, 2019, 11:25:22 AM »
Michael, yes.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #53 on: Oct 05, 2019, 11:25:56 AM »
Jolly good - regards
Mike

crabbyob

« Reply #54 on: Oct 05, 2019, 01:02:47 PM »
well as i have already stated i never smacked my son...but my father was a different kettle of fish...
he was a sparring partner for a world heavyweight champion... and practised on me... he punched me kneed me an kicked me on the floor, from when i was nine, and first met him, i last saw him when i was 21 and i dont know if he is alive or dead, i hope he is still alive [tho he would be 103] yes alive and in bloody agony... ;D ...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Scrumpy

« Reply #55 on: Oct 05, 2019, 01:40:24 PM »

I was brought up without a father.. My mother was a gentle soul and never hit me or my two sisters.. She just gave a 'look' and we knew..
 I never hit my children.. My husband,on the other hand, was a bully and my children when talking about their father always mention/remember the spiteful bits.
 I love my children and grandchildren dearly. I've had a cross word with them but never hit them..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.