Author Topic: Women's pension age,  (Read 10345 times)

brian54

Women's pension age,
« on: Oct 03, 2019, 02:55:21 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/women-lose-landmark-high-court-fight-against-state-pension-age-rise-for-millions/ar-AAIdh9A?li=BBoPWjQ

I think these women are expecting something for nothing. It has been clear for a long time retirement ages would have to be equalised.
My daughters are paying extra in to their pension scheme to retire at 60.

Sheila

Re: Women's pension age,
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2019, 03:36:28 PM »
Brian, please, please, please stop talking about pensions. x

brian54

« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2019, 03:58:17 PM »
Brian, please, please, please stop talking about pensions. x
It is a pensioners forum so pensions should be a main topic.

Dayjo

« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2019, 09:34:43 PM »
It is a pensioners forum so pensions should be a main topic.

Ad nauseam.......
David, Christine, + Mia...... NE Derbyshire.

Life happens, when you connect with people.
Not, constantly working to be better, or to have more......

Goingtoseed

« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2019, 11:17:21 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/women-lose-landmark-high-court-fight-against-state-pension-age-rise-for-millions/ar-AAIdh9A?li=BBoPWjQ

I think these women are expecting something for nothing. It has been clear for a long time retirement ages would have to be equalised.
My daughters are paying extra in to their pension scheme to retire at 60.

I thought that as my wife started to receive her pension at 60 so should I. Equalisation should really have been that the male receives his State Pension at the same age as a woman.

To expect that was a pipe dream - it was only going to go one way - make women wait until they are 65!

Still all this complaining and campaigning by women is ridiculous - they wanted equality and that's what they got - be careful what you wish for.

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2019, 11:43:12 PM »
  Interesting that their complaint was rejected by the judges saying that they were correcting a historical error. I didn't hear much more than that but I assume they mean the fact that women generally outlive men and the equality laws now are such that anything other than parity would be unfair to men. There's a first.. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2019, 06:53:13 AM »
I agreed that men and women's pension age should be equalised.  And, as we are living longer, it would not be equalised downwards.  However, I believe the age taper was too steep.  The change has affected a lot of women who had not paid enough contributions for a full pension, especially hard if it was because she was the main child carer and homemaker in a family.

There weren't free child care places or child tax credits for those now in their early 60s, they often had no option but to be full time wives and mothers, or take low paid part time work to fit round the family.   At least younger people have been made far more aware generally of the need to build up a decent pension.  Employee pension schemes are now compulsorily offered, and the basic state pension is significantly higher, so once the younger ones reach retirement age they should not face the same hardships as this particular age group of 60+ women.   
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2019, 05:19:49 PM »
I agreed that men and women's pension age should be equalised.  And, as we are living longer, it would not be equalised downwards.  However, I believe the age taper was too steep.  The change has affected a lot of women who had not paid enough contributions for a full pension, especially hard if it was because she was the main child carer and homemaker in a family.

There weren't free child care places or child tax credits for those now in their early 60s, they often had no option but to be full time wives and mothers, or take low paid part time work to fit round the family.   At least younger people have been made far more aware generally of the need to build up a decent pension.  Employee pension schemes are now compulsorily offered, and the basic state pension is significantly higher, so once the younger ones reach retirement age they should not face the same hardships as this particular age group of 60+ women.

I agree that in an age of equality the pension age for women & men should be equal but I also agree with your very well-balanced reasoning.

The pension goalposts are often moved, with little or no warning, as happened in 2010 when the State Pension adult dependant's payment was removed, leaving some married couples £50 per week worse off.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Goingtoseed

« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2019, 07:15:46 PM »
  Interesting that their complaint was rejected by the judges saying that they were correcting a historical error. I didn't hear much more than that but I assume they mean the fact that women generally outlive men and the equality laws now are such that anything other than parity would be unfair to men. There's a first.. ;)

Yes the historical imbalance was that women obtained their State Pension 5 years before a man did AND would get it for longer as it is an accepted fact that women live longer - totally unfair on men in general. I was pleased that they now have to attain a similar age.

This happened in the car industry. Women always paid less in car insurance than men did with exactly the same the same claims and personal history - it was a case that being female saved you money. They changed all of that and increased the female policies to match the male ones. You simply cannot have sex discrimination in anything - everyone is equal.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2019, 07:20:25 PM »
The pension goalposts are often moved, with little or no warning, as happened in 2010 when the State Pension adult dependant's payment was removed, leaving some married couples £50 per week worse off.

Is that really relevant? I agree that there should be no place for one sector of society to have an unfair financial advantage over another.
Married/Single/Male/Female discrimination has no place in our country.
Why was the Married Person's Tax Relief removed? Because it was discrimatory and favoured a married couple over a couple not married to each other but living as a married couple.

brian54

« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2019, 07:49:33 PM »
There are other things in life that discriminate. Before my arrival in Birmingham there were ladies only exercise classes in Council Leisure Centres. I arrived in Birmingham just before Christmas. The normal cashier was away as well as the normal instructor. There was nothing saying the class was ladies only.
I walked in. Some of the ladies said hello etc but none said it was a ladies class.
I stayed till the end and when we were walking out a male member of staff approached me and told me I had been in a ladies only class.
One of the ladies laughed and said if I had the bottle to walk in on 30 ladies they would not stop me.
An investigation happened and they found all the ladies in the ladies classes went to mixed classes as well so within a few weeks all classes went mixed.
The centre had a few complaints from some ladies who tried to join after the centre went all mixed but some men countered these complaints by saying if ladies wanted ladies only classes they should pay a higher membership fee. Of course most ladies said they were more than happy with the mixed classes.
in the end all the classes at the centre remained mixed and the ladies who wanted classes without men had to go elsewhere.

Jacqueline

« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2019, 11:26:51 PM »
Brian,

Equality is going backwards, many swimming pools now have segregated swimming sessions to please a certain stone age religion.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2019, 11:37:55 AM »
There are other things in life that discriminate. Before my arrival in Birmingham there were ladies only exercise classes in Council Leisure Centres. I arrived in Birmingham just before Christmas. The normal cashier was away as well as the normal instructor. There was nothing saying the class was ladies only.
I walked in. Some of the ladies said hello etc but none said it was a ladies class.
I stayed till the end and when we were walking out a male member of staff approached me and told me I had been in a ladies only class.
One of the ladies laughed and said if I had the bottle to walk in on 30 ladies they would not stop me.
An investigation happened and they found all the ladies in the ladies classes went to mixed classes as well so within a few weeks all classes went mixed.
The centre had a few complaints from some ladies who tried to join after the centre went all mixed but some men countered these complaints by saying if ladies wanted ladies only classes they should pay a higher membership fee. Of course most ladies said they were more than happy with the mixed classes.
in the end all the classes at the centre remained mixed and the ladies who wanted classes without men had to go elsewhere.

So pleased that the centre had the guts to do that. If someone wants to have a class especially for a particular sex then they should go elsewhere and be prepared to pay for that privilege.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2019, 11:42:23 AM »
Brian,

Equality is going backwards, many swimming pools now have segregated swimming sessions to please a certain stone age religion.

No, not going backwards the white Brits are too damn scared of upsetting our immigrants and their religion. As I have said before about male/female mixed classes - those who have a problem with mixing with the rest of the country should go, find and if need be, build their own leisure facility at THEIR cost.
No doubt if they had to do that we would stand accused of racial discrimination. They are the ones with the problem not the rest of us.

crabbyob

« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2019, 12:07:59 PM »
my son is in his fifties and is convinced that retirement age will be seventy before he retires...
ladies fought long and hard for equality but have yet to achieve it, as previously posted, one should be very careful what the wish for... i do wonder how many of the ladies at the high court still demand equality ..
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”