Author Topic: Women's pension age,  (Read 10344 times)

GrannyMac

Re: Women's pension age,
« Reply #75 on: Oct 12, 2019, 08:10:36 PM »
No excuses GTS, tax evasion is just that, whether big business or the immigrant.

If they're not even earning minimum wage they'll have no income tax liability.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

mick607

« Reply #76 on: Oct 13, 2019, 08:22:25 AM »

If they're not even earning minimum wage they'll have no income tax liability.
You'll be telling us next the poor immigrants don't get any benefits ?Are not any earnings declareable to the DWP ?

GrannyMac

« Reply #77 on: Oct 13, 2019, 08:36:32 AM »
Of course not. If they get means tested benefits (and many do) they won't be earning nearly enough to pay income tax.  And income tax is what GTS and I were referring to

R. Gervais

mick607

« Reply #78 on: Oct 13, 2019, 09:53:22 AM »
All earnings are declarable to the DWP if receiving benefits & HMRC.

Diasi

« Reply #79 on: Oct 13, 2019, 10:20:46 AM »

Correct.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #80 on: Oct 13, 2019, 02:11:52 PM »

I didn't dispute that.  But, anyone getting means tested benefit can't be earning enough to pay income tax. Or can they? I'd have thought not, as some of us who don't qualify for means tested benefits such as Pension Credit are well under the Persona Allowance level for Income Tax purposes.

R. Gervais

mick607

« Reply #81 on: Oct 13, 2019, 02:58:19 PM »

I didn't dispute that.  But, anyone getting means tested benefit can't be earning enough to pay income tax. Or can they? I'd have thought not, as some of us who don't qualify for means tested benefits such as Pension Credit are well under the Persona Allowance level for Income Tax purposes.
That is why they work on the side and do not declare their earnings.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #82 on: Oct 13, 2019, 03:26:14 PM »
You'll be telling us next the poor immigrants don't get any benefits ?Are not any earnings declareable to the DWP ?

Those that don't have the right to remain have no need to report what they earn to the DWP as they cannot claim any benefits.
Maybe they should declare these black economy earnings to the Home Office that is financially supporting them - that will probably result in nothing more than a slap on the hand for working when they shouldn't.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #83 on: Oct 13, 2019, 03:29:05 PM »
Of course not. If they get means tested benefits (and many do) they won't be earning nearly enough to pay income tax.  And income tax is what GTS and I were referring to

I take your point, but I and many like me still pay income tax on our pensions to HMRC despite receiving a means tested benefit. It does not always follow that receiving a means tested benefit exempts anyone from having to pay tax.

Between us we 'earn' through our pensions approx £430 per week and receive another £43 of Pension Credit per week - this does not include our other benefits that we receive of £237 a week which are not taxable.
Of that total my portion exceeds the tax free allowance and therefore I pay tax at 20% on the difference.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #84 on: Oct 13, 2019, 03:34:48 PM »

No they are not. You are only required to notify the DWP if you are in receipt of a DWP means tested benefit.
Those immigrants that work and earn within the black economy are highly unlikely to want to tell HMRC what they are earning. Yes tax would be payable by everyone if their income merits such liability - even prostitutes, pimps, drug dealers, bank robbers, smugglers and money launderers all are required by law to notify and declare their income and pay the tax that arises on it.

GrannyMac

« Reply #85 on: Oct 13, 2019, 07:41:00 PM »
I take your point, but I and many like me still pay income tax on our pensions to HMRC despite receiving a means tested benefit. It does not always follow that receiving a means tested benefit exempts anyone from having to pay tax.

Between us we 'earn' through our pensions approx £430 per week and receive another £43 of Pension Credit per week - this does not include our other benefits that we receive of £237 a week which are not taxable.
Of that total my portion exceeds the tax free allowance and therefore I pay tax at 20% on the difference.

I filled in the PC application, but even though we don't get £430 a week we don't qualify.  Obviously I don't understand the rules.  We have however used the transferable tax allowance.  Every little helps!

R. Gervais

Goingtoseed

« Reply #86 on: Oct 14, 2019, 10:08:17 AM »

I filled in the PC application, but even though we don't get £430 a week we don't qualify.  Obviously I don't understand the rules.  We have however used the transferable tax allowance.  Every little helps!

The rules are simple. The basic level for a couple is £255.25 a week. Income below that will see a PC award to top it up to that figure.
To get an increase on that amount, you have to be eligible for additional premiums.
Having a DLA/PIP/AA award for both will see that level rise to £386.95 a week. With each then claiming to care for the other that increases the level still further to £460.65 a week.
Additionally if you are in receipt of a pension other than the state pension the level will go up to £476.00 a week. These are the current 2020 figures.
On top of that and both having a DLA/PIP/AA award the level of income rises still further by up to another £236.50 a week.

All in all with all of the right levels of disability benefits in place, the minimum at today's rates would be £476.00 + £236.50 = £712.50 a week which is effectively equal to a gross annual salary of up to £50,000 pa.

Or if they choose to have a new Motability car, their weekly combined minimum income would drop from £712.50 a week to £651.30 a week.

https://www.motability.co.uk/products/cars/types/

The criteria for Attendance Allowance (the easiest to get) is here:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/attendance-allowance/claiming-attendance-allowance/how-to-claim-attendance-allowance/

As this is specifically for the over 65's it effectively accepts that the process of normal aging is in fact a disability in itself.

Sheila

« Reply #87 on: Oct 14, 2019, 10:59:08 AM »
How on earth can you claim to care for each other?  I had three years of being very ill and my husband looked after me.  There is no way I could have looked after him during this time.  Thanks to the NHS, I am much better now and I did not think it appropriate to try for attendance allowance as there are so many people who are badly disabled.
At my knitting group there was a lady in a wheelchair who has cerebral palsy.  She has had her car taken from her and has to pay the bedroom tax on her little flat.  Her mother sometimes stays in the spare bedroom to help her.
She is the one who needs the money.

mick607

« Reply #88 on: Oct 14, 2019, 04:20:22 PM »
This is called. Knowing how to work the system. Perhaps GTS could tell us how trust funds work.
With that amount of money why would anyone take a cheap ferry over the Channel to buy duty free fags in bulk.?

GrannyMac

« Reply #89 on: Oct 14, 2019, 06:32:31 PM »
How on earth can you claim to care for each other?  I had three years of being very ill and my husband looked after me.  There is no way I could have looked after him during this time.  Thanks to the NHS, I am much better now and I did not think it appropriate to try for attendance allowance as there are so many people who are badly disabled.
At my knitting group there was a lady in a wheelchair who has cerebral palsy.  She has had her car taken from her and has to pay the bedroom tax on her little flat.  Her mother sometimes stays in the spare bedroom to help her.
She is the one who needs the money.

I had a very poorly husband with severe angina which got considerably worse until he was deemed in need of emergency heart surgery.  If I had been unwell during that period, I dread to think how we would have coped.

Sadly, we have a much younger nephew with Parkinsons, his wife has had to become the main earner as he couldn't continue to work. They still have teenage kids.  Apart from his income being far less, he's no longer able to save for a pension.

R. Gervais