Author Topic: Shingles  (Read 3308 times)

zoony

Shingles
« on: Oct 03, 2019, 03:16:53 PM »
..I'm now eligible to have an inoculation against shingles, apparently. I know what it is but not much else so if anybody knows more I'd appreciate the input as I intend to have the jab if there's no reason not to..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Sheila

Re: Shingles
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2019, 03:35:18 PM »
I know two people who have had shingles and it is very painful.  I had the jab as soon as it was offered.

Bee

« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2019, 04:18:27 PM »
..I'm now eligible to have an inoculation against shingles, apparently. I know what it is but not much else so if anybody knows more I'd appreciate the input as I intend to have the jab if there's no reason not to..

Zoony after seeing what my ex husband went through with shingles, the pain he had and eventually being admitted to hospital, at the time he was a relatively young man, as soon as I was eligible I had the jab with remembering what he went through..........I would advise you to do the same.
The only way is up....

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2019, 04:49:24 PM »
My father had shingles on his head and face.  Very painful. I had the jab a couple of years ago. No reason not to as you say zoony.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Jacqueline

« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2019, 05:01:11 PM »
I am on long term Steroids, the leaflet says avoid Shingles.  I got Shingles a year ago, went to the doctors the same day and was prescribed anti viral drugs. I don't think, compared to others (my husband had it quite severely some years ago)my shingles was too bad.  I have been offered the jab, and I'm going to have it I think it's a good idea I have heard of people having it more than once.

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2019, 05:06:36 PM »
  Thanks all for those thoughts..I shall follow through.. May as well get my flu jab at the same time..Let's hope we can all get through the winter unscathed.

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2019, 05:54:09 PM »
ive never been offered it...sob...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2019, 06:08:48 PM »
I had my flu jab last week, no sore arm this time! I also had the pneumonia jab a few years since.  Thats a once only.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Alex22

« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2019, 06:10:53 PM »
I had shingles 3 years ago and it was awful, still got the postherpetic neuralgia pain.  I know I'm not thinking rationally, but I had the flu jab some years ago and I was really ill within 3 days of having the jab, flu like symptoms and then a chest infection.  So because of this, I don't want to have the shingles jab incase I get shingles again ! 
I'm such a wimp  ;)

mick607

« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2019, 07:58:06 PM »
My wife had shingles about five years ago. Went to see the doctor too late for a jab & had to take pain killers instead,A truly awful experience is shingles.Even these days she will suffer nerve pain as a result.

Dayjo

« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2019, 08:26:54 PM »
I've had mild shingles, twice. Christine, once. (On her face).....

We've both had the jab, several years ago. No problems, since.
David, Christine, + Mia...... NE Derbyshire.

Life happens, when you connect with people.
Not, constantly working to be better, or to have more......

Alfred

« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2019, 08:57:32 PM »
my wife and I had our shingles injections many years ago , we  were then seventy, at that time it was either at 70,  or when we were 79 . we had ours  at 70,.

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: Oct 03, 2019, 10:58:04 PM »
I recently had a text offering me a flu jab but I replied with the 'Decline' option so I hope they don't bother me with it again.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Goingtoseed

« Reply #13 on: Oct 03, 2019, 11:21:57 PM »
I recently had a text offering me a flu jab but I replied with the 'Decline' option so I hope they don't bother me with it again.

Same here - I never have the damn thing. There is absolutely no guarantee that what they inject you with will protect you from the flu - too many variations of flu.

I have never been asked about a Shingles injection and thinking about it I have never had a letter about the flu jab either. How old do you have to be to qualify?

Ah I have just noticed that the flu jab is by invitation via a text. Seeing as I don't have or use a mobile (only a landline) maybe that's the reason.
I was 70 last June

zoony

« Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2019, 11:38:25 PM »
You qualify for the Shingles vacc at 70. I disagree about the flu jab but you might be right. I have it cos I need all the help I can get!

cowboy wisdom.