Author Topic: testimonials.  (Read 1932 times)

Alfred

testimonials.
« on: Oct 04, 2019, 10:16:29 AM »
Yes it is a very old word , but in my youth, when I first left school the head master wrote one for me and i suspect every teenager leaving school  in those days had a similar one,

well when I first applied for a job in a wine factory the manager asked me if I had a testimonial which I produced , and once he had read it said iv got the job,

strangely enough some years later when I had completed my two year national service I too had a written testimonial written on the back of my then A.B 64 by the C.O written by the (  commanding officer of the barracks,)

to which I'm sure many forum members who did like wise would have had a similar report, whether it was because I was a corporal I'm not sure, 

so I suppose it helped a future employer to see what the sort of person I was,

Q; for those of you who like wise did their national service, did you also have a written testimonial , itll make interesting reading

Michael Rolls

Re: testimonials.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2019, 10:28:02 AM »
I did my National Service in the RAF 1956-8. I didn't get a written testimonial. I was a Senior Aircraftsman (SAC)
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

sparky

« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2019, 11:00:50 AM »
Also RAF, 1948-1950, I suppose Senior Aircraftman  was what in my time  Leading Aircraftman, which I rose to the dizzy height of  ;D ;D .……..RAF,  Padgate, Wilmslow, St Athen twice, Boscombe Down, Upper Heyford.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2019, 11:26:15 AM »
It went, in my time, AC, LAC, SAC a rank which was introduced in 1951 -prior to that it went from LAC to Corporal
Mike

sparky

« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2019, 12:28:25 PM »
Oh so I did not really have far to go before I achieved Group Captain status ;D ;D ;D

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2019, 04:46:24 PM »
Thee and me both!
Mike  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Johned

« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2019, 08:46:29 PM »
Our Commanding Officer who could be a real curmudgeon most of the time never let down Regular or National Servicemen being released by awarding them a detrimental testimonial.  Even the battalion hard cases were oft surprised to find themselves with glowing descriptions of their dubious characters to aid them in getting future civilian employment.  I worked in the Orderly Room and prepared the AB108 discharge document on which the Colonel's immortal words were inscribed.  My own starts off "This junior NCO is honest, sober, loyal and respectful..." and so on.   

Traveller

« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2019, 11:29:56 AM »
I was too young for these things and the nearest I got to any 'military' service was in the Royal Observer Corps during the cold war period in the late 60's.

Later on, a regular customer in my local was a retired Colonel (a brother of the leader of the 'Cockleshell heroes').  He used to tell some great stories. On the subject of testimonials, there is the well worn tale of  "by employing this man the army had deprived some village of its idiot",  but the best one he came across read simply "Do not breed from this man!"
You'll have had your tea.

Johned

« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2019, 03:16:59 PM »
One of the sentances oft used by our Colonel in his testimonial write up was "He has performed his duties entirely to his satisfaction!"  Which reminds me of the old chestnut.  A young chap went to the local big house for interview as a Footman.  As he said he lost that job through sheer bloody ignorance.  Evidently her Ladyship interviewing him said "Show me your testimonials?"  It was then he dropped his trousers and it all went awry!

Yellowbird

« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2019, 06:59:06 PM »
Ron did his National service 1953-1955 and was made up to acting Corporal, which allowed him a room of his own, bliss, he said. No Testimonies Just said ‘longest 2 years of my life’. Mine too, we got married soon after he got out
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

GrannyMac

« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2019, 10:58:04 PM »
I have my dad's papers from WWII showing his promotions and a testimonial. There is also a pass with permission to use a bicycle!  He was in the RAOC for the duration.  They have some different titles, Sub-Conductors/Conductors are the Warrant Officers, the top NCOs.  His eventual rank was Sub Conductor, or WO1.  I have his framed warrant, and some photos of him on parade.  I'm hoping my grandson will have them, along with his medals. We are the last generation to have lived through, or to be born just after a world war.  I hope that doesn't change.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2019, 11:43:47 PM »
Amen to that. Contrastingly, my dad was an Able-seaman on mine-sweepers and saw little action. There's one pic of him in uniform and that's it. No medals that I'm aware of, no war stories or memories shared..I never gave it a thought until I joined PF and heard so many family histories like yours Mac.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Johned

« Reply #12 on: Oct 15, 2019, 04:29:18 PM »
Your Ron's bit of luck was similar to mine Yellow Bird.  I was "in" also from 53 to 55 and after 18 months was promoted to the dizzy heights of paid Lance Corporal 3/6d extra per week, with a room and bunk to myself at the back of the Orderly Room.  This privilege was made even more attractive when I was excused morning muster parades held by the Adjutant and RSM to light the Orderly Room Quartermaster Sergeant's fire!  One of the more happier days of my life was that glorious Thursday morning when I walked out of the barrack gates, a free man yet again lol.