Author Topic: How many pensioners took advantage of the Right to Buy back in the early 80's?  (Read 2779 times)

Goingtoseed

A much fairer system would have been to provide a grant to any couple as a deposit for their first home, not just council houses,  with maybe zero or very low interest rates for X years
Far to many people including me, took an unfair advantage to make money, by buying their parents house for them,  knowing when their parents died  they would make a hefty profit.

Most Councils in the past granted residential mortgages and not just for the RTB scheme. After leaving the Manchester area we moved to Wales where we bought a new property. Realising some time later that it would be helpful to live in the country and have a place near the city we bought a small workers cottage that had been renovated. We paid £5300 for it. We then moved to the South East keeping the cottage as a rental property. That was then sold 5 years ago for £155,000. The mortgage from the City Council was subsidised at 1.75% due to working and living in the city.

biglouis

I can recall seeing a TV film where a talking head from the local council said that only 10% of social housing went to immigrants. No immigrant should be given social housing while a British born person is on the waiting list.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Ashy

Their trouble is who they count as immigrants.

GrannyMac

Dead right.  There are non white people whose family may have been here for generations, who still get asked where they are from.  They're not immigrants, but they're not accepted (by some) as British.  Often there will be white parentage in the family, but the dominant skin colour is darker.  And some people can't see further than pigmentation.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

They cease to be an immigrant as soon as they are awarded British nationality.

Dead right.  There are non white people whose family may have been here for generations, who still get asked where they are from.  They're not immigrants, but they're not accepted (by some) as British.  Often there will be white parentage in the family, but the dominant skin colour is darker.  And some people can't see further than pigmentation.

I think it's only sensible to assume that biglouis is talking about immigrants that don't have British nationality, otherwise the council wouldn't be referring to them as immigrants.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

Diasi, councils and other social landlord will know peoples' status by their passports and other papers.  No problems there.   

However, a lot of rhetoric around immigrants is not so accurate. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

mick607

And a lot is.

sarahbilly 1

sparky, I believe we have had this topic before, at that time I related that my parents lived in council property from when they were bombed out of their rented homes" twice" in ww2. when rtb was introduced I knew a lot of people who did what you did, [bought their parents home] my parents and siblings, were all against rtb.  when my mother died my dad moved in to a 1 bedroom bungalow [ by choice] and a young family in need of a home moved into their 3 bed house. I believe that's how it should be, rtb. was abused imo, it would be interesting to know how many people [ incld, those in house of commons and lords]  with huge housing portfolios bought up ex. council properties, zoony has a point, "a house to live in"  and granny mac makes valid points.  imo. 

brian54

Only 1 couple in my family lived in a council house and they did not buy it.
They now moan every body else owns their house and they have an occupational pension.

mick607

We've recently moved rom a 3 bedroom house to a 1 bedroom flat.Local council are uninterested housing young white British families. My former house will no doubt be allocated to an immigrant family, most are these days around here.

Bobcat

My best friend at school was brought up in a council house. In his early 20's he emigrated to Canada, had a good job and started a family, he had 2 daughters. When the RTB legislation came along, by now his father had died his mother continued to live in the house. He bought the house for his mother on the understating that she could live there rent free for the rest of her life and in return she would will the house to his two daughters when she died. Some years later she passed away and the house was sold at a handsome profit, over £200,000. So his two daughters, living in Canada, both inherited over £100,000 each, I'm sure this is not an isolated case and was this what the RTB legislation was intended to do ??

Goingtoseed

I can recall seeing a TV film where a talking head from the local council said that only 10% of social housing went to immigrants. No immigrant should be given social housing while a British born person is on the waiting list.

There should be no distinction between an immigrant and a while Brit. Such properties are allocated based entirely on need and not on colour, creed or religion.

Goingtoseed

Everybody that has the right to reside in the UK which would include illegal immigrants etc, is equal in the eyes of the Housing Dept.

Goingtoseed

We've recently moved rom a 3 bedroom house to a 1 bedroom flat.Local council are uninterested housing young white British families. My former house will no doubt be allocated to an immigrant family, most are these days around here.

Which is quite right and as it should be. Does it really matter who the person is? The most important factor is the level of need.

Goingtoseed

My best friend at school was brought up in a council house. In his early 20's he emigrated to Canada, had a good job and started a family, he had 2 daughters. When the RTB legislation came along, by now his father had died his mother continued to live in the house. He bought the house for his mother on the understating that she could live there rent free for the rest of her life and in return she would will the house to his two daughters when she died. Some years later she passed away and the house was sold at a handsome profit, over £200,000. So his two daughters, living in Canada, both inherited over £100,000 each, I'm sure this is not an isolated case and was this what the RTB legislation was intended to do ??

He set out to protect his family.

If the house had remained rented the family would have lost out big time.