Author Topic: Changing cars  (Read 255 times)

Michael Rolls

Changing cars
« on: Oct 08, 2019, 06:59:37 AM »
In another thread comment was made about the financial disadvantage of selling a car bought new after only 12 months. The comment is, of course, perfectly accurate, but it made me wonder why - other than severe dissatisfaction with a vehicle, people would sell a car that quickly, yet it is exactly what I did. For the last few years of Veronica's life we had a Motobility car; when she died it naturally had to be returned. It was a Focus Estate and had been perfectly adequate for our needs, so I simply bought another one - it was even the same colour.
However, after about 10 months, I began to rethink. For years we had bought estates to accommodate Veronica's wheelchair and Delta walker - but now I had no such need, so I changed it for a Mondeo - roomier, more comfortable, better performance (although, to be fair, less economic) and a car which better matched my changed circumstances.
Anybody else changed a car quickly and of so what triggered the decision?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

StephenM123

Re: Changing cars
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2019, 09:06:00 AM »
Bar a company car I have never had a new car. Some have been a few years old and others quite old.

The two I changed within a short period were a Volvo and a Renault. Both were basically good cars but had minor issues. However, the main dealers were both arrogant and useless. Some spares were ordered in for the Renault and I dropped the car off in the morning. When I went to pick it up they told me they had used the parts ordered for me for another job!

Both dealers lost their franchises. The Renault site now sells s/h performance cars and the Volvo one is a block of flats!

I have had issues with Ford and Vauxhall dealers but nothing that bad! ☹️

Scrumpy

« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2019, 10:08:30 AM »

I can understand drivers changing their car when their circumstances change I can understand people changing their cars because they enjoy NEW.. What I can't abide is those that have to boast about it..
Yes, I did buy new.. She is now old but she does the same job..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2019, 11:25:26 AM »
I hope you don't think that I was boasting - that was never my intention. There is another aspect to changing cars regularly. Back in the 60/70s the then Chairman of Surrey County Council, the late Sir Cyril Black, had a new Rolls Royce every year (with the reg RR1, which I now believe has been acquired by RR themselves) however - he wasn't daft. Back then there was a long waiting list for a new RR, so after 12 months Sir Cyril was able to sell the car (even if the ashtrays were full!) for more than he aid for it!
Mike

crabbyob

« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2019, 11:34:58 AM »
i bought my present car several years ago second hand, a renault scenic diesel its great for golf-clubs and fishing gear, seats five comfortably and is blue.. ;D
it does between 49-52 MPG and is nine years old
my son is suggesting i get a newer model, and give him this one, so if i save a few bob in India i might just do that, his scenic is beginning to cost money at the garage and is petrol, he wont admit his MPG
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2019, 11:40:58 AM »
Oh, and until Veronica died and I bought first the Focus, and then the Mondeo, I had never owned a new car in my motoring 'career' from 1967 (the Motobility cars were in Veronica's name, not mine). Until I and my first wife divorced and a few years later I married Veronica and we were able to make our finances a good bit better, all my motors were elderly, cheap and a 'pleasure' to own - like the one that after a while could only be started by shorting out the starter solenoid with a hefty screwdriver! I did a lot of reluctant motoring DIY back then!
Mike

Scrumpy

« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2019, 12:52:51 PM »
I hope you don't think that I was boasting - that was never my intention.

It never crossed my mind that you might be boasting.. I'm talking about those who insist on telling you how young their car is and how often they change it..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2019, 03:35:39 PM »
Thanks
Mike