Author Topic: extend your property no planning permission needed.?  (Read 236 times)

Alfred

extend your property no planning permission needed.?
« on: Oct 08, 2019, 09:05:56 AM »
Very recently I read of plans to do away with planning permissions for people who don't want to move , but would rather extend their property instead,

if this is the case I wonder will health and safety requirements gradually decease as over time plans, and regulations get dragged down,

and if  only carried out by professional builders, and not D.I.Y. people instead who might build a two bedroomed house into a taller three bed roomed house , assuming that the footings have been dug deep enough and sufficiently made strong enough to take the weight of the added structure,

Q; so is doing away with planning permission good or a bad idea, when it comes to improving or expanding a property , and should only be carried out by professional builders,.

minniemouse

Re: extend your property no planning permission needed.?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2019, 09:10:03 AM »
I think it could be a bad idea.  People extending a distance could be blocking someones light out for instance and if Building Regulations are dumbed down we could end up looking like downtown Shanghai  ???
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Diasi

« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2019, 09:18:52 AM »
Very recently I read of plans to do away with planning permissions for people who don't want to move , but would rather extend their property instead,

if this is the case I wonder will health and safety requirements gradually decease as over time plans, and regulations get dragged down,

and if  only carried out by professional builders, and not D.I.Y. people instead who might build a two bedroomed house into a taller three bed roomed house , assuming that the footings have been dug deep enough and sufficiently made strong enough to take the weight of the added structure,

Q; so is doing away with planning permission good or a bad idea, when it comes to improving or expanding a property , and should only be carried out by professional builders,.

Please don't confuse planning permission with Building Regulations as the two are totally separate.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2019, 09:20:07 AM »
Don't know about Scotland - never needed to find out - but in England an extension of up to 10% of the existing footprint did not need planning permission (other than for listed buildings, of course) but it did have to comply with building regulations - I would be surprised if BRs were to be dumbed done - they have, in fact, become stricter in recent years.
As has been said, BRs and PPs are totally separate things
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Alfred

« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2019, 02:57:07 PM »
yes I realise the difference,

as years ago I saw a man extend his bedroom over a garage which meant that about four inches remained between the two houses , standing side by side,

I suppose now as the house has been re sold several times over what happens  should one of the exterior walls need re pointing,

that's what I meant, regarding planning permission , as I'm sure then the person  wouldn't have been allowed to extend under those circumstances, as it seems some rules and regulations are evidently changing, ??

many regards,  Alfred,.