Author Topic: Extinction Rebellion (again)  (Read 1642 times)

sarahbilly 1

Re: Extinction Rebellion (again)
« Reply #15 on: Oct 09, 2019, 10:49:18 AM »
diasi, in important matters such as climate change, I feel we have to rely on science to inform and guide us, just the way they have/do in many instances, its not my insular view I am putting forward, its my belief that, science knows better than myself and I am prepared to listen,

sparky

« Reply #16 on: Oct 09, 2019, 11:17:59 AM »
Compared to most other countries, we are doing far more  already to combat, supposed climate change. so any more we do is a drop in the ocean, if these rebellious morons really were that bothered they should get themselves off to the many other countries who are ignoring a climate change threat totally, and demonstrate there.

Diasi

« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2019, 11:41:05 AM »
diasi, in important matters such as climate change, I feel we have to rely on science to inform and guide us, just the way they have/do in many instances, its not my insular view I am putting forward, its my belief that, science knows better than myself and I am prepared to listen,

I rely on science to form my opinion, so we're in total agreement on that point.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

sarahbilly 1

« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2019, 11:43:41 AM »
they would love to I imagine sparky, however would they be allowed to even get into the countries you may be suggesting, never mind protest there, maybe protests in one country may lead to a snowball of protests elsewhere. of course it would make little difference in none democratic countries, the rulers don't have to worry about keeping their seats of power, like our politician's do.

Diasi

« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2019, 11:47:32 AM »
they would love to I imagine sparky, however would they be allowed to even get into the countries you may be suggesting, never mind protest there, maybe protests in one country may lead to a snowball of protests elsewhere. of course it would make little difference in none democratic countries, the rulers don't have to worry about keeping their seats of power, like our politician's do.

There's nothing stopping them from going to Brazil to protest & the indigenous tribes that are still left would probably welcome them.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Ashy

« Reply #20 on: Oct 09, 2019, 07:02:05 PM »
There's nothing stopping them from going to Brazil to protest & the indigenous tribes that are still left would probably welcome them.
Goodness that's a poser. What wine would go with a climate protester?

xetog

« Reply #21 on: Oct 09, 2019, 08:54:41 PM »
Can we dispel this assumption once and for all that scientists are all full of honesty, sweetness and light?  Scientists are human beings who want to be right.  It's a bit like doctors who declare a hypocritic oath to preserve life but whilst the majority will abide by that ethos many have proven to fall far short because they are human beings.  Scientists are the same, when they 'prove' something they are subject to the human failings of standing by that decision in the face of opposing proofs.  Not only that, some will distort the truth in order to prove that they are right until they are caught out and that goes the same for man made climate change as much as anything else.

The University of East Anglia is a case in point where scientists were caught purposely distorting results because the true figures did not support the theory.  It is now known that many of the early computerised climate models were hopelessly inaccurate, yet many scientists (and the IPPC) have bought into this 'proof' and cannot now back off.  I am not saying that the disbelievers are any less likely to be more honest when they come up with their figures.  They buy into theories just the same as the believers and have a tendency to distort data as much as anyone.

Lets tackle the "95% of scientists believe in man made climate change" myth.  95% of scientists may believe in climate change as probably 95% of the population do, but this assertion that they all believe in man made climate change and Armageddon has never been tested, let alone proven.  For a start who do we include as scientists?  There are hundreds of different aspects of science and hundreds of thousands if not millions of scientists, has anyone ever held a poll?  If we take climate scientists it may be a more manageable number but is there evidence that anyone has ever tested the theory?  If there is, I have never seen it.  In addition, do climate scientists really have the expertise we need to prove the theory?  What about physicists, mathematicians, agriculturalists and many other branches of science that have expertise in aspects of the problem that would have a bearing on how the problem were perceived?  Is the planet warming inexorably until the next ice age, is increased carbon dioxide a bad thing as it increases the growth of plants?  Is the planet really warming as a result of increased CO2 or is increased CO2 the result of global warming as some would believe?  There s a bewildering number of ways that figures can be represented to suit any set view of the situation.  In addition I doubt even 95% climate scientists buy into the same idea.

We are in a worldwide Brexit situation with the believers and unbelievers on opposite sides of an issue which they rely on.  Were they proven wrong the repercussions would be literally earth shattering, not to mention the political earthquakes ringing the world.

Me?  I am an engineer (or was as I have given up my professional qualifications and associations).  I await a calculation that can be found in a textbook and proven over and over by experiment.  That is the basic tenet of science which is missing in all this, leading to public hysteria amongst the vulnerable and gullible.  If scientists cannot even agree amongst themselves and are so bought in to their individual theories that they are no longer serving science or the public.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

sarahbilly 1

« Reply #22 on: Oct 09, 2019, 09:07:13 PM »
the world  is flat.

mick607

« Reply #23 on: Oct 09, 2019, 09:47:37 PM »
As a pancake.

crabbyob

« Reply #24 on: Oct 10, 2019, 02:23:51 AM »
science can be manipulated to prove anything, and frequently is, i dont care what you BELIEVE, take your facts to any decent accountant and he will prove your world truly is flat, and if you pay him enough he will also prove it is square.... hence the four corners of the world..
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #25 on: Oct 10, 2019, 04:50:42 AM »
science can be manipulated to prove anything, and frequently is, i dont care what you BELIEVE, take your facts to any decent accountant and he will prove your world truly is flat, and if you pay him enough he will also prove it is square.... hence rthe four corners of the world..
Four corners - I like that
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #26 on: Oct 10, 2019, 07:07:00 AM »
Some people seem to struggle with the very simple concept of scientific theories not being scientific facts.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #27 on: Oct 10, 2019, 05:44:25 PM »

Science is only part of it. The earth has it's cycle - maybe the last ice age was caused by human actions? You only need to look at the earth now to see the massive changes that it has gone through and still is. The channel never existed - we were attached to France that is until the sea level rose and cut us off. The white cliffs on the south cost were actually the sea bed at one time. Antarctica was a lush forest close to the equator as was England.
Then we have the floods that have drowned so many cities across the world.
Sorry but I prefer to accept that the earth is changing constantly as it has and always will and not because of the Industrial past or even the cows farting in the fields.

crabbyob

« Reply #28 on: Oct 11, 2019, 07:02:20 PM »
erm... it was sheep burping i think
cows dont fart...do they?.. ive never heard them
they have three tummies so i think the process of regurgitating to chew the cud
avoids the farting process... i wish farty-one was still among us, this would have given him hope
re-chewing his food he could have avoided his occasional woopsies... ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Diasi

« Reply #29 on: Oct 11, 2019, 08:57:26 PM »
Climate change is yet one more thing where a disparaging name gets slung at anyone who dares to have differing views from the views of the establishment lobby groups' views.

Brexit = Xenophobic Little Englanders.

Immigration = racists.

Climate change = Climate change deniers.