Author Topic: the pressures of life.  (Read 1462 times)

Goingtoseed

Re: the pressures of life.
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2019, 03:58:23 PM »
It is a legal requirement for all councils to help those that ask for help.
However as we are talking about being homeless councils are obliged to determine who should be helped. If it can be said that the homeless person contributed in any way in being homeless then no help is given quite rightly.

Over the years I have come across many who claim to be homeless. A good majority of them made themselves homeless - arrears of rent, anti social activities, failing to consider their neighbours etc etc. I have also seen those that have walked out of good quality private accommodation expecting to be given a council/housing association property only because the rent is far cheaper.
Families with young children do get help (because of the children) but it may not be what they want or expect.

Everybody is expected to look after themselves.

Floydian

« Reply #16 on: Oct 10, 2019, 05:51:11 PM »

I hope you changed your doctor then, maybe for one that lives in the real world.

On the contrary, he made me realise how many other people there are  who would benefit from a session with such a doctor, in order for them to realise, that their is another world outside the blinkered world  they exist in.

I'd much rather be wearing my "blinkers" (?) than the rose coloured specs snowflakes like you wear.
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

sparky

« Reply #17 on: Oct 10, 2019, 07:14:08 PM »

I'd much rather be wearing my "blinkers"

Now why does that not surprise me.

GrannyMac

« Reply #18 on: Oct 10, 2019, 07:22:08 PM »

I'd much rather be wearing my "blinkers" (?) than the rose coloured specs snowflakes like you wear.

Clinical depression is very different to being a bit 'fed up'.  Most families have some experience of people with poor mental health at some point in their history.  You are very lucky if it has never touched you and yours.

An acquaintance lost his father in law earlier this year to suicide.  He had been diagnosed with severe depression.  Good job, nice family, no drug or alcohol abuse, but a chemical imbalance.   

Rose coloured specs or blinkers aren't the only choices BTW.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #19 on: Oct 10, 2019, 09:43:07 PM »
Clinical depression is very different to being a bit 'fed up'.  Most families have some experience of people with poor mental health at some point in their history.  You are very lucky if it has never touched you and yours.

An acquaintance lost his father in law earlier this year to suicide.  He had been diagnosed with severe depression.  Good job, nice family, no drug or alcohol abuse, but a chemical imbalance.   

Rose coloured specs or blinkers aren't the only choices BTW.

Sadly, you're wasting your time trying to explain it GrannyMac.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Floydian

« Reply #20 on: Oct 10, 2019, 09:55:27 PM »
Yep, granted theres bound to be some genuine cases and it's tragic, but the vast majority who have probably self diagnosed themselves start bemoaning and the snowflakes like sparky who really need to go away and grow a pair take it all in.
You barely heard of depressives and mental health cases years ago, now it's almost trendy to say you're a sufferer, same as these kids that have all suddenly started cutting themselves. Whats all that about?
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

zoony

« Reply #21 on: Oct 10, 2019, 10:23:08 PM »
Y'know Floyd, I've been a qualified psychiatric and general nurse for many years and people who pontificate about things they know little of can sometimes show themselves to be woefully ignorant even about the little they actually think they know. Oh, and self-harming behaviour has been around longer than you have.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

sparky

« Reply #22 on: Oct 11, 2019, 07:19:18 AM »
Floydian, Since you know absolutely nothing about my or other young or old folks  lives that might or might not have led to periods of severe depression, to dismiss those individuals with mindless derogatory labels as snowflakes, only illustrates what a narrow blinkered life you lead, so perhaps if I go out and grow a pair as you suggest, you could make an   attempt  at growing a brain.

Floydian

« Reply #23 on: Oct 11, 2019, 09:56:05 AM »
Aw diddums. Well, you all know my opinion and it'll take a lot more than eunuchs, know it alls and snowflakes to change it.
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Diasi

« Reply #24 on: Oct 11, 2019, 10:04:34 AM »
Y'know Floyd, I've been a qualified psychiatric and general nurse for many years and people who pontificate about things they know little of can sometimes show themselves to be woefully ignorant even about the little they actually think they know. Oh, and self-harming behaviour has been around longer than you have.

The only thing that's changed is the stigma of mental health being removed, even if only slowly in some cases.

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Floydian

« Reply #25 on: Oct 11, 2019, 10:44:36 AM »
I have a feeling mental health cases will rise horribly over the next few years due to the ever increasing popularity of smoking weed, resulting in paranoia etc ...
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Diasi

« Reply #26 on: Oct 11, 2019, 10:48:51 AM »
I have a feeling mental health cases will rise horribly over the next few years due to the ever increasing popularity of smoking weed, resulting in paranoia etc ...

You may well be correct, but I blame pantomimes for starting paranoia.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #27 on: Oct 11, 2019, 11:46:34 AM »
You may well be correct, but I blame pantomimes for starting paranoia.
'He's behind you!' ?
Mike  ;D ;D ;D
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #28 on: Oct 11, 2019, 12:59:52 PM »
'He's behind you!' ?
Mike  ;D ;D ;D

That's the one.  ;D

Floydian

« Reply #29 on: Oct 11, 2019, 02:34:35 PM »
Oh no it isnt....
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."