Author Topic: Parking Tax?  (Read 3550 times)

Raven

Parking Tax?
« on: Oct 10, 2019, 11:54:18 AM »

I am dead against this, but I understand it already applies in a few places down in England already. :o It was being discussed on Radio Scotland this morning and boy were tempers flaring.
What's your view?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49991051

Michael Rolls

Re: Parking Tax?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2019, 12:43:09 PM »
Virtue signalling by the crypto- communists of the SNP and the Greens - if you are on a low wage and have to drive to get to work - by no means unusual in the hinterlands of Scotland's bigger towns - tough bloody luck! See how much the SN cares about you!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2019, 02:13:00 PM »
It is very common in towns. Ours is £35 per year for one car, if people have more than one, they really get hammered.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2019, 02:42:13 PM »
It is very common in towns. Ours is £35 per year for one car, if people have more than one, they really get hammered.
Well, £35 a year isn't the end of the world for many folk, but I have an uneasy feeling that avaricious councils will look to a lot more than that!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Goingtoseed

« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2019, 03:47:49 PM »
Well, £35 a year isn't the end of the world for many folk, but I have an uneasy feeling that avaricious councils will look to a lot more than that!
Mike
In common with most NHS hospitals in England, staff have to pay to park on site. There is little alternative as most roads in and around my local hospital have double yellow lines both on the road and on the kerb. This means that stopping to drop someone off is illegal.
A trainee nurse on little or no money still has to pay to work - no one is exempt!

sparky

« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2019, 03:56:10 PM »
Maybe hospitals should use the same system a government site I am aware of, who will only allocated a parking space for those that will car share with at least one other person.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2019, 04:14:20 PM »
Before I retired the government office that I worked in had 12 parking spaces. Six were for the visiting public, one earmarked for a Blue Badge holder which left five. Two were reserved for staff who would go out on official visits (with one of those for myself). That left three for 56 other members of staff!!
The staff members that did not get a space had to pay to park approx. 2 miles away and get a local bus in.

Ashy

« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2019, 04:33:24 PM »
Mike
Well I think £35 a year is a lot for parking in the street. Other councils do charge more than that. What is much worse is we can't park in the street when visiting or shopping etc, as we always used to.

crabbyob

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2019, 04:38:49 PM »
i fear it is the planners we must blame, even yet they plan as if we were in the fifties when hardly anyone had a car, they certainly never thought that some residencies might have several...
why cant they lay covered moving walkways into town centres, and charge a congestion fee for vehicles
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Raven

« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2019, 04:50:49 PM »
I don't mind paying to park in the town for a while 8) but paying to park at my work in the works carpark :o No Way. >:(

Goingtoseed

« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2019, 05:19:44 PM »
I don't mind paying to park in the town for a while 8) but paying to park at my work in the works carpark :o No Way. >:(
A lot of people have no choice including those that volunteer and don't earn anything or receive any expenses such as those that man the shops inside a hospital

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2019, 05:37:57 PM »
Then it's time things changed. I'm sick of it.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2019, 05:58:35 PM »
Then it's time things changed. I'm sick of it.

Why??

As patients we have to pay to park whilst having to navigate our way into A&E. Then there are those that stay to hold the hand of a dying relative/spouse/friend who later following the death find a Parking Charge Notice attached to their car demanding £75 for staying too long.
The staff should also enjoy those same perks that we have to put up with.

mick607

« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2019, 08:47:16 PM »
Nottingham City Council have a well known hate the motorist policy here.On street & car park charges very high.City centre area zoned so different zones pay different amounts, very confusing.Camera enforcement everywhere waiting quietly to catch the unsuspecting motorist / visitor to the city.Stop  & leave the engine running even for a short time gets a FPN.Then the council's favourite toy the Workplace Parking Levy. Where your employer provides an employee car park then each car owner will pay £400 per year for that privilege.This is not just in the city centre but anywhere within the city boundary.The WPL was introduced to fund the new city tram, a white elephant vanity project thet no one wanted. Visitors love it but they don't get saddled with a loss of many £millions a year, this tram system will never be self sufficient.Then there is another Nottm City Council vanity project called Robin Hood energy, a not for profit energy company that too is in a financial mess losing £millions too.Nottingham City council tax payers are the fourth highest council tax payers in the UK.Now many other cities have suggested they may well introduce thier own WPL.Edinburgh & Manchester have shown an interest with others to follow.The council are big supporters of the LGBTQ+++++++ organisations recently painting a road in the city rainbow colours & painting city centre rubbish bins the rainbow colours too.With a student poulation of 60K who pay no council tax at all.Expensive car parking ? You don't know how lucky you are.PS I'm glad I don't drive anymore.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2019, 06:03:31 PM »
i fear it is the planners we must blame, even yet they plan as if we were in the fifties when hardly anyone had a car, they certainly never thought that some residencies might have several...
why cant they lay covered moving walkways into town centres, and charge a congestion fee for vehicles

Basic planning regs state that one parking space for a 1 bed property, 2 spaces for a 2 or 3 bed property and 3/4 spaces for everything else.