Author Topic: How fresh is the food we eat, ??  (Read 1599 times)

Alfred

How fresh is the food we eat, ??
« on: Oct 12, 2019, 03:06:10 PM »
Although were not that far away from Christmas, I wonder how many people will buy a turkey for the table on Christmas day , my thoughts are just how fresh or old is the turkey,

I say this, as some years ago I and my family wee invited to a family member and we had a really superb Christmas turkey with all the trimmings it really was a delicious meal,. 

it was afterwards when we were all sitting round the table having a few drinks, when I learned that the turkey had been in the freezer for just over two years, ???? ……...how ever we wouldn't have known ,

Q; so my question is do we really know just how old the food is that we buy and eat on a daily basis , even having a meal in a restaurant may be older than we think,..... as much as we like to think its fresh ,.

Michael Rolls

Re: How fresh is the food we eat, ??
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2019, 04:47:36 PM »
A long time ago, our Deputy County Medical Officer was something of a connoisseur of food and wine. A new restaurant opened and Dr. Bacon decided to give it a go. Don't know what the whole meal was, but the menu claimed 'fresh vegetables'. After a mouthful or two he called the waitress over.
'These are not fresh vegetables' he said
'Yes they are,' was the indignant reply 'they're straight out of the freezer this morning!'
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2019, 05:45:38 PM »
Although I am not a fan of turkey and never buy it, when food is kept frozen it does keep well, that's why they freeze it of course. The alternative is to tin it, which usually means cooking it first. Some food like bananas and other fruit is picked and kept at just the right temperature to bring it to our shops ripe or nearly ripe. So it depends what you mean by fresh I guess.

Sheila

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2019, 08:02:08 PM »
A long time ago, our Deputy County Medical Officer was something of a connoisseur of food and wine. A new restaurant opened and Dr. Bacon decided to give it a go. Don't know what the whole meal was, but the menu claimed 'fresh vegetables'. After a mouthful or two he called the waitress over.
'Yes they are,' was the indignant reply 'they're straight out of the freezer this morning!'
Mike

We went to a pub one evening and I ordered sausage and mash.  Nobody came to ask if the food was all right so when the waitress eventually came to collect the plates, I told her that I had not eaten the sausages because they were lukewarm and I was frightened of getting food poisoning. 
The waitress was most indignant, drew herself up to her full height and said 'Indeed you won't, those sausages were freshly cooked this morning and they have been bubbling away all day'.  I was speechless and couldn't reply.

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2019, 06:04:37 AM »
Mike

Well for a medical officer his knowledge was not up to much as there's no such thing as fresh food in any restaurant, unless he was expecting the restaurant to have it's own garden where the produce was picked after he'd ordered his meal.

Also he should have known that snap frozen vegetables have far a better better nutrition retention than non-frozen vegetables.

The only fresh vegetables are those which are picked & then cooked immediately afterwards by those with vegetable gardens.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2019, 06:29:14 AM »
Sorry - don't agree. Frozen food - depending on how long it has been frozen, loses moisture and with it taste and texture. Don't see how you can claim it retains nutrients better - as for only straight out of the ground into the pot - that's just silly. How often will that ever happen? You are effectively saying that ere is no such thing as fresh vegetables.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Sheila

« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2019, 06:40:47 AM »
I'm with Michael here.  Frozen petit pois are fine but things like sprouts are awful.  I don't miss the hard work of our allotment but I do miss the fresh vegetables. 

Our lunches were often fabulous - a mixture of everything that was ready, put in the oven with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Garlic bread mopped up the juices.

We choose vegetables in the supermarket carefully and had a lovely cabbage yesterday evening which seemed to be very fresh.

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2019, 06:06:21 PM »
Don't see how you can claim it retains nutrients better - as for only straight out of the ground into the pot - that's just silly. How often will that ever happen? You are effectively saying that ere is no such thing as fresh vegetables.
Mike

Yes, the only truly fresh vegetables are out of the ground & into the pot as, I believe, Traveller does.

With any other commercially obtained vegetables it's only the degree of freshness that can vary & snap frozen vegetables retain more nutrients than vegetables that have been picked & then sat on a stall or in a supermarket for two or three days.

In more simple terms it's a similar principle to which body will last the longer & in better condition, one where the person has died in the Sahara, or one where the person died at the top of Everest.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Raven

« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2019, 06:11:26 PM »
We have a bit of ground for veggies. Potatoes, carrots, onions, Beets, Peas, Lettuce, this year. May change next spring.

GrannyMac

« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2019, 06:16:24 PM »
I'm with Michael here.  Frozen petit pois are fine but things like sprouts are awful.  I don't miss the hard work of our allotment but I do miss the fresh vegetables. 

Our lunches were often fabulous - a mixture of everything that was ready, put in the oven with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Garlic bread mopped up the juices.

We choose vegetables in the supermarket carefully and had a lovely cabbage yesterday evening which seemed to be very fresh.

Sweetheart cabbage for tea, almost ready. We use frozen peas, but I agree Sheila, I've not tasted a good frozen sprout, and fresh sprouts are a favourite of mine.

I know the turkey we'll have at Christmas will be very fresh. Our daughter in law's sister will supply it as usual from their farm. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Alex22

« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2019, 07:30:49 PM »
I've got a new recipe from Nigella, it's Broccoli and Stilton soup but she uses frozen broccoli and says it tastes better using the frozen stuff  -  I haven't tried it yet, I'll let you know  ;D

Sheila

« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2019, 07:47:17 PM »

Sweetheart cabbage for tea, almost ready. We use frozen peas, but I agree Sheila, I've not tasted a good frozen sprout, and fresh sprouts are a favourite of mine.

I know the turkey we'll have at Christmas will be very fresh. Our daughter in law's sister will supply it as usual from their farm.

Will you get sprout sticks from her as well?  A farm just a few minutes away from us has lovely sprout sticks in the winter.

minniemouse

« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2019, 08:01:10 PM »
I've got a new recipe from Nigella, it's Broccoli and Stilton soup but she uses frozen broccoli and says it tastes better using the frozen stuff  -  I haven't tried it yet, I'll let you know  ;D

That's my favourite soup but I'm too lazy to make it so I buy Ainsley Harriott's cup soup version.
Bish, bosh, job done.  ;D
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Alex22

« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2019, 08:26:54 PM »
It's a bit of a phaf I know, but keeps me occupied and off the streets.  ;D

Floydian

« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2019, 11:34:55 AM »
My missus makes a lovely carrot and coriander soup, i can get the recipe if anyone's interested.
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."