Author Topic: is the U.K becoming a lawless society.  (Read 4648 times)

Alfred

is the U.K becoming a lawless society.
« on: Oct 16, 2019, 01:25:33 PM »
Although plans are in place to try and correct criminals getting silly sentences, by keeping them in prison for longer, in many instances only serving a small portion of the sentence that would normally have been that much longer,

I suppose in the past over crowded prisons and not having enough cells to house these people ,to which the courts were forced to hand out lighter sentences in a bid to reduce over crowding in prison cells.

now the government think tank has once again begun to wake up and make more sensible decisions to fit the crime, even though the crime rate in deaths and stabbings have sadly reached enormous proportions,. And still going on,??

up till now there had been little or no police force to deal with these and many other situations, (where as in the past we did have a sizeable police force,.)

as we have all seen and most likely read of the knife crimes, and senseless stabbings and so on, as yet another stabbing this time in wales,

so I wonder are we on the brink of becoming a lawless society, ?? even as the home office has announced extra police to ease the strain on the over worked police force, yet to be seen on our streets,??

so should capital punishment once again be re introduced, to stem, or curb the amount of violence that has got out of control, to stem  the tide of so many people being murdered ,

as it seems there is little if any deterrent/s  to deter the amount of people being murdered in todays united kingdom,as murders know they cant be hanged, so again they can repeat it all over again once they leave prison,

so has the softly softly approach gone much too far, ?? as children and youths , are carrying knives to protect them selves, what is this country doing about it why aren't there public displays  protesting that the law really gets tough , making prisons a really terrible place to be kept in,

should all convicted murders of crime be micro chipped as well, as leg tags have been removed by resourceful prisoners, knowing how to remove them,...…. which really serves little or no purpose ,at all,

people carrying out these murders are allowed to get away with it, and even if caught they are assured that prison is the only deterrent, where by these people can learn others skills in either robbery or violence or anything else,

knowing they are almost protected , almost a nice holiday camp as they have plenty of entertainment to pass away the time,
where as the victim has no rights, and no redress, what so ever, and little or no protection either,

so have we almost become a lawless society, where anything goes, as criminals, and murders, can get away almost Scott free,.
having a comfortable life in prison , and paid by the tax payer,

Q; What thoughts do you have regarding the U.K almost becoming a lawless society , would or should the death penalty be re introduced to deter a person taking another persons life, rather than keeping them alive at the tax payers expense,

Raven

Re: is the U.K becoming a lawless society.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2019, 01:36:04 PM »

Yes I think it is doing just that, I blame the Do Gooders (rightly or Wrongly) Giving everyone every right going, taking away boundries, especially parents to punish, and the Bobby on the beat to boot one up the bachooky, if need be.
But that's just me.

Bobcat

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2019, 01:43:55 PM »
What we need is a fairer and more equal society, not more punishment IMO !!

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2019, 01:45:15 PM »
What we need is a fairer and more equal society, not more punishment IMO !!

Yeah, that'll solve everything.

Fairer in whose terms, fairer to the villains or fairer to the victims?
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Bobcat

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2019, 01:53:05 PM »
In years gone by a starving man would be hung if he stole a sheep to feed his family. So men continued to be hung and sheep continued to be stolen. But then someone had a bright idea, why don't we share the food that we have out so the man no longer had to steel a sheep to feed his family. Sorry but it just seems obvious to me that if we shared out what we have a little more evenly then it would lesson the need for crime, just my opinion - again !!

Butterpuff

« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2019, 01:56:17 PM »
prisons need to be places where criminals are afraid to go , not places where you can still get drugs slipped in, all your entertainment, be out in 2 0r 3 years ..depending on the crime,  even if you take a life ,you won't lose yours...remember " human rights"... too many do gooders on the criminal side. too few policemen local.police stations closing..

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2019, 02:00:21 PM »
In years gone by a starving man would be hung if he stole a sheep to feed his family. So men continued to be hung and sheep continued to be stolen. But then someone had a bright idea, why don't we share the food that we have out so the man no longer had to steel a sheep to feed his family. Sorry but it just seems obvious to me that if we shared out what we have a little more evenly then it would lesson the need for crime, just my opinion - again !!

But the same man didn't steal another sheep.

The criminals are one stop ahead of you insomuch as thay believe in sharing everything out.

I hope it's you, & not me, who gets home one day, to find that all your home contents have been 'shared out'.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

sparky

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2019, 02:09:05 PM »
Bobcat, As you say that was years gone by, nowadays the scumbags on out streets are not content with   a share, they are quite happy to steal the small share from  even the poor in any way they can.

Bobcat

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2019, 02:14:13 PM »
nowadays the scumbags on out streets are not content with   a share, they are quite happy to steal the small share from  even the poor in any way they can.

Its not scumbags on the street who steel even from the poor.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50053594

When we live in a society that condones this it is no wonder that people steel !!

Diasi

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2019, 02:19:28 PM »
Its not scumbags on the street who steel even from the poor.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50053594

When we live in a society that condones this it is no wonder that people steel !!

Ah, the good old 'offshore taxation trusts makes benefit fraud' ok syndrome.

Bobcat

« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2019, 02:46:21 PM »
No, I'm saying a totally unequal society breeds crime. IMO

Diasi

« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2019, 02:59:10 PM »
No, I'm saying a totally unequal society breeds crime. IMO

Just like offshore tax havens breed benefit fraud.

Inequality is no excuse for crime.

Bobcat

« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2019, 03:15:02 PM »
Inequality is no excuse for crime.

I am not excusing or condoning any crime - my argument is, you will not deter crime by stiffer sentences - you will deter crime by striving towards a more just and equal society.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2019, 03:29:14 PM »
A good friend of mine many many years ago fell foul of the Welfare Regulations. A professionally qualified guy that up until he was 34 (1983) worked hard for his family doing a responsible job. His character was squeaky clean with not even a point on his driving licence.

After being made redundant in 1983 he decided that job security (which was important to him) than lots of money and so decided to start up his own business. He couldn't afford to buy a business so started one up from nothing. Obviously he had to claim some welfare benefits - Unemployment Benefit (JSA) and Supplementary Benefit (IS).
He worked many hours looking for work for his business and little by little over the next 18 months he was earning enough to manage on so cancelled his welfare benefit claims (1985). During the course of those claims he notified the DHSS every other week of the net income that he had earned in the previous two weeks.
Late in 1987 he had a visit from a fraud investigator from the DHSS at his home. Not understanding why, he refused to answer any questions unless his solicitor was present.
Some months later he had the police at his home at 6am with a search warrant, he was arrested and taken to the police station. When questioned later he was asked about his work when he was claiming benefits for that 18 months. He explained that the DHSS knew all about it and what his net income was for all of that period.

6 months later he was in Crown Court answering charges of benefit fraud in that he had deliberately given false information about his earnings. He should have disclosed his gross income before all business expenses incurred were deducted plus he failed to disclose the actual hours of working
He was found guilty and was given a 6 month prison sentence to serve 1 month in HMP Strangeways with the remaining 5 months suspended for a year + probation + costs + to repay everything that he had received from the DHSS.

The important point of this is that he lost his business, no one would give him a job after his release and eventually his wife left him with their two children. Since then he has spent more time in prison that out of it as he could only see one way of getting money - stealing it or goods to sell.

Prison works?? Rubbish. Prison has made him what he is now.

zoony

« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2019, 04:10:07 PM »
A salutary story and I doubt it's a unique one. Sh*t happens and being on the wrong end of the stick can cost a person dear.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.