Author Topic: Personal Responsibility.  (Read 1651 times)

Diasi

Personal Responsibility.
« on: Oct 16, 2019, 02:35:16 PM »
As has been said many times, personal responsibility no longer exists.

Some idiot is killed because stuck her head out of a train window at 75 mph.

Now it seems it's all the fault of Network Rail for not checking if a tree branch could knock the head off any clown that leaned out of the train window.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-50067073
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Butterpuff

Re: Personal Responsibility.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2019, 02:42:58 PM »
yes I saw that...why on earth would anyone want to do that...at 75mph..or any speed for that matter

Diasi

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2019, 02:57:07 PM »
yes I saw that...why on earth would anyone want to do that...at 75mph..or any speed for that matter

Some clown is now saying that because the window sign said "caution", it was an invitation to all dimwits to stick their heads out of train windows but to be careful how they did it.

I bet the idiot's a compensation lawyer.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Butterpuff

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2019, 02:59:21 PM »
perhaps she was testing it for network rail...just to see if they needed to chop the branch off???

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2019, 03:01:51 PM »
perhaps she was testing it for network rail...just to see if they needed to chop the branch off???

I thought that Beeching chopped all the branch lines in the 1960's.

Diasi

« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2019, 10:39:16 AM »

Butterpuff

« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2019, 02:43:57 PM »
just heard this on the news.....the lady who stuck her head out the train window, was drunk

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2019, 02:54:01 PM »
Apparently the notice which is being criticised as not being clear enough says
'Caution. Do not lean out of the window whilst the train is in motion'
What could be clearer?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2019, 03:03:20 PM »
Deemed to be too small. That plus no 'tree-work' done on the line since 2009 (I think it was). The branch that struck her head wouldn't've been there had that work been done.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2019, 03:06:55 PM »
Apparently the notice which is being criticised as not being clear enough says
'Caution. Do not lean out of the window whilst the train is in motion'
What could be clearer?
Mike

'Caution' is not the same as 'Danger'. Plus there was a similar incident previously where the train companies promised to change the wording to Danger, make sure it was on a much bigger notice in bold red and that all overhanging branches along the lines would be cut back. That never happened - it was the promise to make the changes that has caused the current issue.
The train companies knew that there was a risk by not adhering to that promise they gave.

Hence why the young lady can hold the train company responsible and her estate sue them for the loss of a life through negligence.

Diasi

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2019, 04:12:27 PM »
'Caution' is not the same as 'Danger'. Plus there was a similar incident previously where the train companies promised to change the wording to Danger, make sure it was on a much bigger notice in bold red and that all overhanging branches along the lines would be cut back. That never happened - it was the promise to make the changes that has caused the current issue.
The train companies knew that there was a risk by not adhering to that promise they gave.

Hence why the young lady can hold the train company responsible and her estate sue them for the loss of a life through negligence.

But although she was 100% responsible in the eyes of most people, any compo will be greatly reduced as she was a minimum of 90% responsible.

Butterpuff

« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2019, 04:13:44 PM »
so whether it's caution..or danger ...do not lean out of the window when the train is in motion means just that

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2019, 04:15:10 PM »
so whether it's caution..or danger ...do not lean out of the window when the train is in motion means just that

I agree totally.

I've never seen any motorway signs that tell me not to drive into the bridge support barriers so by the same token it makes Highways England negligent if I do.

Have you ever seen a warning sign telling you not to jump off the top of a car park?

There are signs saying don't climb over the barriers but nothing that specifies not jumping.

GrannyMac

« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2019, 06:47:43 PM »
Thank you for the title of this thread Diasi. I hadn't seen that story, but I agree she did a very stupid thing.  Too many seem to think anything that happens is bound to be someone else's fault, and want to be rewarded by way of compensation.  Sorty, but money won't change what happened.

We see the failure of people to take personal responsibility at all levels.  From parents who don't teach their children how to behave,  to adults who think it ok to keep having kids without doing anything to support them, to CEOs of large companies who take huge bonuses whilst knowing the company is failing. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Alfred

« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2019, 07:07:24 PM »
people have to take responsibility for their own actions  and through out life, and sadly at times, some people do not think before carrying out or doing something or other which in this instance ended badly in tragedy,.

no different from some  people crossing roads, talking on their mobile phones all at the same time, as bad as some drivers doing like wise when behind the wheel of a car, …...and so it goes on and on,  some times lessons aren't learnt,   mores the pity,.