Author Topic: Personal Responsibility.  (Read 1626 times)

biglouis

Re: Personal Responsibility.
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2019, 05:16:04 PM »
When I was a kid one lesson was drilled into me. If you make a mistake take responsibility. admit you did wrong and try to fix it. But NEVER take responsibility for another person's mistake. By doing that you are denying them the opportunity to behave like an adult and teaching them that its ok to shrug off responsibility for what they did wrong.
One day my friends and I played a pavement game (hopscotch) which involved writing with coloured chalk on the paving slabs. A neighbour complained to my mother that we had written on the ground in front of her house and made it look untidy. My mother made me apologise, then fetch a bucket of water and scrub off the pink chalk marks that I had made. The neighbour was not satisfied and complained that there were still chalk marks in front of her house but my mother told her "Ive punished my daughter for what she did wrong but Im not going to punish her for what her friends did. You will have to go and find their parents and whinge to them!"
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Diasi

« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2019, 05:36:47 PM »
When I was a kid one lesson was drilled into me. If you make a mistake take responsibility. admit you did wrong and try to fix it. But NEVER take responsibility for another person's mistake. By doing that you are denying them the opportunity to behave like an adult and teaching them that its ok to shrug off responsibility for what they did wrong.
One day my friends and I played a pavement game (hopscotch) which involved writing with coloured chalk on the paving slabs. A neighbour complained to my mother that we had written on the ground in front of her house and made it look untidy. My mother made me apologise, then fetch a bucket of water and scrub off the pink chalk marks that I had made. The neighbour was not satisfied and complained that there were still chalk marks in front of her house but my mother told her "Ive punished my daughter for what she did wrong but Im not going to punish her for what her friends did. You will have to go and find their parents and whinge to them!"

Well said, nothing more to add really.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Floydian

« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2019, 06:05:00 PM »
Ha, we had a guy called nick on our crew when i was working. If he ever got a telling off for a mistake his first line of defence was always "well everyone else does it that way", or "i saw floydy do the same thing just the other day..."

We dubbed him "Nick the snitch"....
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

biglouis

« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2019, 03:49:13 PM »
I dont think its necessarily snitching to argue that you have taken your cue from more experienced workers as to what is allowed and what not. They can be expected to set an example and if its a bad one thats something the boss should take up with the people concerned and not by balling out a newby.

I can recall starting a call center job and being told off for taking too long in the loo. My retort to the supervisor was that if he played fair and timed the entire section he would find out that I was towards the lower end. I was going there for a legitimate purpose and not for a smoke.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.